Psychology Study Blames Games for Aggressive Behavior

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Psychology Study Blames Games for Aggressive Behavior

[vimeo=24225559]​

Psychologists "prove" that violent games incite aggression with a strangely designed experiment.

Academia's battle against videogames continues apace. While there are many studies that point out that games have no effect on the psyche of players [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109455-Study-Claims-Anti-Game-Research-More-Reliable], there always seem to be pop-pyschologists who want to play the aggression card and pass that off as encouraging violence. These scientists sound like disgruntled parents who have never had fun playing games, and feel compelled to prove that their kids play them too damn much. At least that's how associate professor Bruce Bartholow from the University of Missouri sounds when he describes his experiment that attempts to prove the correlation between violent games and aggression. The aggressive behavior that Bartholow measures is the volume of sound used in friendly competition between test subjects. Bartholow's study will be published in the "Journal of Experimental Social Psychology."

The experiment Bartholow conducted exposed some young adults to violent games like Call of Duty and Killzone (not sure which versions) while others played non-violent games. Bartholow then showed subjects violent images and neutral images - the examples given were a dude with a gun in his mouth and a man on a bike - and measured their brainwaves to gauge their reaction. The group of subjects who played the violent games had a demonstrably lower reaction to the violent image, which Bartholow said proves they were "desensitized" to violence.

In the next phase of the experiment, subjects engaged in a competition where they could blast noises at each other at whatever decibel level they chose. The group who played the violent games employed louder noises than the control group, which Bartholow believes proves that games cause aggression.

"More than any other media, these videogames encourage active participation in violence," said Bartholow. "From a psychological perspective, videogames are excellent teaching tools because they reward players for engaging in certain types of behavior. Unfortunately, in many popular videogames, the behavior [rewarded] is violence."

While I encourage people like Bartholow to design experiments to test whether there is a link between violence and games, I think he missed the mark with this one. First off, blasting more sound at someone is hardly an accurate measure of aggression and probably speaks more to the sound design of the games played. Call of Duty is likely way louder than whatever game the control group played and probably affected the experiment more.

The only thing that does give me pause is Bartholow's claim there is a statistical correlation to the lack of response in violent images and the blast of sound given. The fact that he was able to predict just how loud the subject was going to blast his opponent based on the reaction to violent images is a bit troubling.

Bartholow also mentioned that subjects who already play a lot of violent games had less reaction to the violent imagery, which apparently means something more significant than mere familiarity. "Those individuals are already so desensitized to violence from habitually playing violent video games that an additional exposure in the lab has very little effect on their brain responses," he said.

I'm sorry, this makes no sense to me. If someone watches a lot of CSI, and then is shown a picture of a dead body, of course they are going to have less of a reaction than those who have never seen anything like that. That doesn't mean that these people are "desensitized" to violence, it just means there is a basic familiarity with those kind of images.

To his credit, Bartholow admits that violent games are not the sole reason that humans can become aggressive, but he is ready to claim victory nonetheless. "Many researchers have believed that becoming desensitized to violence leads to increased human aggression. Until our study, however, this causal association had never been demonstrated experimentally," he said.

I suggest that Associate Professor Bartholow keeps working on it.

Source: Missouri University [http://munews.missouri.edu/news-releases/2011/0525-violent-video-games-reduce-brain-response-to-violence-and-increase-aggressive-behavior-university-of-missouri-study-finds/]

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Video games can potentially cause desensitization to violence and a temporary increase in aggression? Gasp! This is me trying to sound surprised.
EDIT: Also, I found this article terribly nonprofessional. Could you sound any more defensive?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
***** please. De-sensitized to virtual violence is not the same thing as being de-sensitized to real life violence. Just ask Penn and Teller.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
My lawnmower makes me violent its a piece of crap. THey should study my brainwaves while trying to mow the lawn, they would be frghtened to death.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I have a question for him.

How many movies don't involve at least one death?

I mostly see video games as interactive movies, so yeah. Anyway, I agree with Greg's point about CSI. Bartholow should try the same experiment again, but this time with violence in movies (and sex on TV!) and see if the subjects become 'desensitized' from that.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
Yeah, as a former psych major, I'm calling BS on this one. Unless you show real violence happening to real people, and their reaction is the same to videogames, I'm not buying that it's a direct coorelation.

Sure, it does desensitize to violence to a certain degree, but I don't really think it'd be any more so than movies would. I'm not even sure that the fact that you're the one dishing out the pain in videogames has any more effect that watching a movie. I find it amusing that some people say, "They're disassociating themselves from people by playing as this character." and some of the same people turn around and say, "They're becoming more violent because they play these games." People need to make up their minds.

This test is BS, the results are BS, and this is exactly why I want to do sociology and social psychology, so that I'll be able to come up with better and more comprehensive tests than these. Ever think about looking into someone's background before allowing them to participate in the tests? For instance, someone that came from an abusive household might internalize it more than someone that comes from a "normal" family? There are so many outside variable here that it sickens me that this was allowed to be published.

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
Seriously? Come on. Being desensitized to violence doesn't make you do violent things. What about horror/gore flicks? You're not controlling what happens, but you're still exposed to it.

Also, yeah, you're rewarded for smashing a guy's head in in a video game. The reward is points/money/upgrades, though... not real life things (yes, money is a real life thing, but not game money... you know what I meant). It scares me that psychologists think people are stupid enough to associate in-game rewards with real life situations. Stabbing someone is going to get your ass thrown in jail, not rewarded. People generally understand this.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Eri said:
***** please. De-sensitized to virtual violence is not the same thing as being de-sensitized to real life violence. Just ask Penn and Teller.
...Damn it! Ninja'd by the second poster! Has to be that pony avatar...Giving some kind of poster bonus...

OT: Geez, It's not like this study has been done a couple of time with the same result. And as Eri here wrote that virtual and real life violence is DIFFERENT.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well i ought to show em liars... if I could only get my hands on some sort of firearm, I'd kill them all!!! And then go back to playing violent videogames!!! Roar!

But in all seriousness, that's a interesting research, i suppose. But there are oh so many other things that can have the very same effect.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I don't see why this is still something that even needs investigating. Playing violent games can make violent imagery less shocking. Makes sense. Just as watching Bones every week makes me freak out a little less each time they show a rotting corpse. Etc. etc.

And I don't doubt for a second that violent games can act as triggers for violent behaviour, but again, so can a lot of things. All they do is trigger something that's already there. Give a man a brick, he may build a house. Give a different man a brick, he may bludgeon my face in. I'm not gonna blame the brick.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
MasterOfWorlds said:
Yeah, as a former psych major, I'm calling BS on this one. Unless you show real violence happening to real people, and their reaction is the same to videogames, I'm not buying that it's a direct coorelation.

Sure, it does desensitize to violence to a certain degree, but I don't really think it'd be any more so than movies would. I'm not even sure that the fact that you're the one dishing out the pain in videogames has any more effect that watching a movie. I find it amusing that some people say, "They're disassociating themselves from people by playing as this character." and some of the same people turn around and say, "They're becoming more violent because they play these games." People need to make up their minds.

This test is BS, the results are BS, and this is exactly why I want to do sociology and social psychology, so that I'll be able to come up with better and more comprehensive tests than these. Ever think about looking into someone's background before allowing them to participate in the tests? For instance, someone that came from an abusive household might internalize it more than someone that comes from a "normal" family? There are so many outside variable here that it sickens me that this was allowed to be published.
I'm sure the test sample was random. We don't know enough about the gathering methods to say for sure. Actually, that is my main argument. Of course video games desensitize people to violence to some degree. But so does every other medium. I've yet to see tests that cross examine this to see the varying differences between media.

Stealthcow

Mar 22, 2009
The reason why there is less brain activity, I think, is because the subject violence has already been ''primed'' in the brain, because it has recently been activated. Thus, there is less activity upon seeing the images. What also means is that its more likely for someone who has been ''primed'' to resort to violence. This is very obvious in kids, I remember doing a lot of mock fights with friends after seeing the matrix and whatnot, they get all excited.

However, what I think is most important about this, is that the change isn't permanent. It's just a temporary state of mind which changes after some time, just like being angry. I don't think it has any big effects on ''violence in society''.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
In before the people covering their eyes screaming "La, la, la" that show up in every thread like this.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
Same with Watching The Expendables, listening to Eminem, Fox News, the list goes on.

If you address violence in ANY medium, you will desensitize those in your audience who see it a lot. I KNOW i'm extremely desensitized to violence and gore. due to all the violent movies, games and angry music i've consumed over my life. I like action and thrillers but its not all I enjoy. not even close.

My day so far; I played La Noire and avoided violence at all costs, then I played around for a few hours driving on the pavement trying to hit people haha.

What does that make me? not sure. This guy was mature about it though. He said that it wasn't the cause of society's downfall like Fox News or something.

9Darksoul6

Jul 12, 2010
Why is it so hard for you (common gamers) to believe that seeing violent imagery in motion affects you senisitivity towards violence? Even more if you're actively causing it ("playing")...
Be rational. How could your subconscious possibly know the difference between real-life violence from virtual violence? Is it really that hard to admit? I also play violent videogames, and it doesn't bother me.

Feb 13, 2008
Latest study proves X affects Y. Z people are bored to tears and wish they'd get on with something like saving the world's resources, kicking the criminals out of high power or teaching our damn kids; rather than wasting pointless resources on re-affirming their own narrow little minds.

9Darksoul6 said:
Why is it so hard for you (common gamers) to believe that seeing violent imagery in motion affects you senisitivity towards violence? Even more if you're actively causing it ("playing")...
Because us common gamers long ago established the difference between fantasy violence and real-life violence. That's why we common gamers tend not to partake in real-life violence.
Be rational. How could your subconscious possibly know the difference real-life violence from virtual violence? Is it really that hard to admit? I also play violent videogames, and it doesn't bother me.
Simple. They're not real. Your brain has had millenia of practice working out that little nugget rationally.