NHL 2K12 Gets Slashed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
NHL 2K12 Gets Slashed

2K Sports has pulled the plug on NHL 2K12, a move which likely signals the end of the franchise.

It's easy to forget sometimes that EA Sports isn't the only sports game company in the business. 2K Sports, a division of Take-Two Interactive, has been kicking around for more than a decade with a number of officially-licensed franchises of its own. But it's been in a steady decline in recent years, shedding numerous games along the way, a scrap-heap that now includes the planned NHL 2K12 and, mostly likely, the entire NHL 2K franchise.

2K11 [http://www.amazon.com/NHL-2K10-Xbox-360/dp/B002DC8GMW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306426811&sr=8-1], it was decided to release the game only for the Nintendo Wii and iPhone. "We want to become a stronger competitor in this category and taking a year off on PS3 and Xbox 360, while focusing on making the best possible game for Wii, should allow us to accomplish that goal," Take-Two CEO Ben Feder explained at the time.

But 2K apparently had second thoughts about sinking more money into a head-to-head battle with the EA Sports behemoth. "2K Sports will not release an NHL title for consoles this year," the company told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5805685/nhl-2k12-aint-happening]. That does presumably leave the door open for an iOS version of the game, which makes some sense given that EA Sports does not produce a version of its NHL series for the iPhone [yet], but with only two licensed sports titles remaining to its name - NBA 2K and MLB 2K - and the expiring Major League Baseball contract unlikely to be renewed, it seems more likely that the NHL series, and perhaps, eventually, the entire 2K Sports brand, will simply be left to wither and die.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Well, it kind of sucks for the development crews, but other than that, who does it really hurt? Canadians?

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Wait a second. So if 2K Sports folds, EA Sports will be our only option for NBA games. In other words, crap like NBA Elite that never saw the light of day, directly because of 2K11, will be the only game in town. That seriously sucks.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Yay! The only hockey franchise open to me has been axed! No more hockey for me! If only would go back and start making NHL PC and Wii(The Gretzky game doesn't count) games. Ugh.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Zerbye said:
Wait a second. So if 2K Sports folds, EA Sports will be our only option for NBA games. In other words, crap like NBA Elite that never saw the light of day, directly because of 2K11, will be the only game in town. That seriously sucks.
They still have dominance in NBA games, NBA 2K12 is going to be the only NBA game this year. Its just that the difference between hockey franchises is just as big, EA is much better.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
drisky said:
Zerbye said:
They still have dominance in NBA games, NBA 2K12 is going to be the only NBA game this year. Its just that the difference between hockey franchises is just as big, EA is much better.
I get that NBA is to 2K as NHL is to EA. The part of the article I find scary is this:

"perhaps, eventually, the entire 2K Sports brand, will simply be left to wither and die."

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Zerbye said:
Not necessarily. If 2K Sports gets down to just one or two franchises, it may very well eliminate the brand and just fold its sports games into the 2K Games label. After all, if the only sports game of note left is NBA 2K, why bother with an entirely-separate sports division?

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Zerbye said:
Not necessarily. If 2K Sports gets down to just one or two franchises, it may very well eliminate the brand and just fold its sports games into the 2K Games label. After all, if the only sports game of note left is NBA 2K, why bother with an entirely-separate sports division?
Yes, I do agree with this clarification. But you do see how your concluding sentence in the original article does not suggest happy times for fans of all 2K Sports games.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
HankMan said:
Looks like NHL 2K12 got iced.
Slashed was already a hockey pun, my friend. We're way ahead of you.

This doesn't affect me much, since I still play NHL 2K6 and don't care about having current rosters. But it's too bad for their (apparently not numerous enough) fans.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Well, I never played any NHL game since EA's NHL 2000 (that was a great game btw), so I don't really care about this branch of 2K Games, but I sure hope, they won't close the NBA branch, because NBA 2K11 is brilliant.

evosero

Sep 8, 2011
That's too bad. While I haven't owned an NHL 2k game since 2k6, and thought it had been lacking in the years after, it was always good to have a competing franchise. I still hoped it'd get back to the quality games it made almost a decade a go that I thought were much better than the EA ones (NHL 2k3-2k5 vs NHL 2003-2005).

With NFL 2k long gone, and MLB 2k struggling to recover after a few years of subpar versions, it's a shame to see the 2k Sports franchises at such a low point.