Witcher 2 Patch Fixes Bugs, Removes DRM

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Witcher 2 Patch Fixes Bugs, Removes DRM

The first big Witcher 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-2-Assassins-Kings-Collectors-Pc/dp/B004CQRCF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306449005&sr=8-2] patch is out, fixing bugs, improving stability, boosting performance - and stripping the DRM out of every edition of the game.

We don't often make noise about game patches around here because, let's face it, they're as inevitable as the sunrise and they rarely do anything worthy of comment. A tweak here, a bug fix there, birds fly, fish swim, whoopdie-doo. But the 1.1 patch for the recently-released Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a little more noteworthy because it not only tunes up the game, it also turns off the copy protection, less than two weeks after the game was released.

"Our approach to countering piracy is to incorporate superior value in the legal version. This means it has to be superior in every respect: less troublesome to use and install, with full support, and with access to additional content and services," explained CD Projekt Red Development Director Adam Badowski. "So, we felt keeping the DRM would mainly hurt our legitimate users. This is completely in line with what we said before the release of The Witcher 2. We felt DRM was necessary to prevent the game being pirated and leaked before release. This purpose has been served, so we are pleased to let our users enjoy the full freedom of game usage they deserve."

He said that pre-release testing showed only a small difference in performance between the DRM-free version released by GOG and other editions of the game, but that players began reporting much more serious performance gaps after the game launched. "This was another clear signal that we had to remove DRM as soon as possible," Badowski said.

The patch improves frame rates by as much as 30 percent, "especially noticeable on DRMed and low spec systems," improves stability, allows mouse-inverting and directional key remapping, and addresses various other issues. The first free DLC, the "Troll Trouble" quest, is also included in the update.

Badowski said the patch should address all major issues with the game, although that's probably a little optimistic, but promised that CD Projekt will continue to review player feedback to resolve configuration-specific problem as they pop up. The Witcher 2 1.1 patch apparently won't download through the launcher's auto-patch system on games that are already in progress, so CD Projekt has instead posted it at thewitcher.com/patch [http://www.en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/35/]. Newly-installed games will [or at least, should] download and install the patch automatically.

ciasteczkowyp

May 3, 2011
Yeah, my awesome game will now be DRM free ^^

Anyhow it's amazing that you can actually finish the game in 15 separate ways XD

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I want to say I told you so... so I will.

A game company came along, and they created a content full game and offered it up to people DRM free. And, it's a game that is worth everyone's dollar if you like RPG's. And what are they getting for it? All the praise they completely deserve for it.

They are my favorite game company now, my absolute favorite.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
I love these guys. If only I had the money to buy it, the time to play it and the computer to run it, I could show instead of tell.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
ciasteczkowyp said:
Yeah, my awesome game will now be DRM free ^^

Anyhow it's amazing that you can actually finish the game in 15 separate ways XD
Not counting the outcomes of the first game if you imported your saves.

I really need to get this game right now.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Interesting plan. The launch with DRM helps soothe publishers and shareholders initial release fear that it will be pirated out the wazoo, but removing it later increases the game's longevity when such systems are defunct.

Not that it will technically help anything with the buy/pirate ratio, as people will always be irrational or face possible external circumstances that prevent them from easily getting a legal copy. But it is the most agreeable system so far.

discordance

Sep 15, 2010
I am only vaguely interested in this game but I love their attitude so much I might buy it anyway.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I have to say, I never thought I'd see the day.

More companies should follow this example, and realize that punishing their customers is not the answer

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
That is the way to go. DRM for awhile to prevent initial sales loss. And then just remove it.
And the patch came pretty quickly too. Bug fixes new quest. I salute thy!

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Glad I am likely going to be buying a new computer for school. Gotta make sure I can run this then, eh?

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009

I love CD Projekt's attitude toward... well, everything. I'm probably going to buy the Witcher 2, a game I previously had no interest in, simply because they deserve the money for being one of the only sane developers in a crazy industry.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Now that is an excellent sentiment!
Too bad I probably won't play this, as there is so much (MMO)RPG goodness that has better gameplay. And I value gameplay over story/setting in my RPGs. Of course the really good ones nail both! ;)

Spawny0908

Feb 11, 2009
Tzekelkan said:
I love these guys. If only I had the money to buy it, the time to play it and the computer to run it, I could show instead of tell.
same but I did hear that it's coming out on consoles so we may get our chance.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:
Now that is an excellent sentiment!
Too bad I probably won't play this, as there is so much (MMO)RPG goodness that has better gameplay. And I value gameplay over story/setting in my RPGs. Of course the really good ones nail both! ;)
Sorry, it's my bed time and I'm sleepy so may have misunderstood you. The Witcher 2 is a single player RPG, it's has no MMO aspects, or feel to it at all.

In my, admittedly not worth much, opinion the combat gameplay is excellent, somewhere between Dragon Age 2 and Demons Souls. Simplistic in theory but difficult to master. Hard mode is a real challenge too, I actually had to turn it down but I'm confident I can manage hard on my second playthrough.

OT: I freaking love these guys, I want to have sex with their business plan and have little baby documents. I have actually bought the game twice, for me and once I'd played it for a friend I knew would love it.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Interesting seeing the response to this. It's a solid plan and I agree with it, but I have to wonder if it's one of those things that's only successful because everyone else has gone crazy with DRM. I'm imagining a trend where game companies slowly convert back to DRM-free models and then suffer again because they ended up making pirating easier in the process. Then again, my understanding of the issues could be flawed.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
HankMan said:
Get the Witcher 2 1.1 patch and have your game will be running like magic in no time!
It's just there in the air, you don't even know it.

OT: Again, when I get a gaming PC, I am going to have to try out the first one, and then this. They are nice to their consumers, which is more than I can say for SOME people *Cough*Capcom*Cough*