Phoenix Wright Objects His Way to the Silver Screen

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Phoenix Wright Objects His Way to the Silver Screen

The evidence is incontrovertible: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is getting a film adaptation.

Several days ago, we reported that [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110296-Ichi-the-Killer-Director-Maybe-Making-a-Phoenix-Wright-Movie] veteran Japanese director Takashi Miike had announced that his next project would be a light-hearted courtroom comedy based on a Nintendo DS game. Naturally, we thought of Capcom's excellent Ace Attorney games, though there was no way to be sure.

Now, however, we're sure. Capcom has confirmed that Phoenix Wright will be going to the big screen [http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2011/05/26/phoenix_wright:_ace_attorney_set_to_come_to_the_big_screen] - in Japan, at any rate.

As previously reported, the film will be directed by Takashi Miike, who is best known for ultraviolent fare like Ichi the Killer and Audition, but who has also directed kids-friendly movies like the live-action Yatterman adaptation. It will star Hiroki Narimiya as defense attorney Phoenix Wright (or "Naruhodo Ryuichi" in Japanese), Takumi Saito as his erstwhile prosecutor rival Miles Edgeworth (Mitsurugi Reiji), and Mirei Kiritan as assistant, sidekick, and spirit medium Maya Fey (Ayasato Mayoi).

The film will be distributed by Toho Co., and is scheduled to hit theaters in Japan next spring.

The Phoenix Wright games are some of my favorite games of all time, so a film adaptation has me a bit giddy. Presumably, this is just an adaptation of the first game in the series, since no casting has been announced for the other primary prosecutors. Either way, though, if they can do the Ace Attorney games justice in film, I'll be a very happy camper.

(Capcom-Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2011/05/26/phoenix_wright:_ace_attorney_set_to_come_to_the_big_screen])

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Hell, as long as they're shouting "OBJECTION" all over dramatic like they do in the games then i'm all for it.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
I have just recently gotten into the Phoenix Wright series so I'll be looking forward to it. Though, I am uneasy about how it will transfer over.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Takashi Miike, eh? Well, okay. He's 2 for 3 in my books (I liked Sukiyaki Western Django and Audition, hated Imprint), so I have no objections.

Heh.

Heh heh.

Leonhart321

Mar 15, 2010
A film about a lawyer who uses deductive reasoning and occult powers to help prove his clients innocent of murders they didnt commit while at the same time finding the real culprit in court. He is helped by the ghost of his murdered mentor and is hampered by a prosecutor determined to kep his 100% conviction rate and a legal system that is in favour of conviction over truth?

See, doesn't sound so unfeasable now doesn't it?

person427

May 28, 2009
Firehound said:
No. JUST FUCKING NO.
Don't worry. This is being made in Japan, so it has a pretty good chance of being great, as opposed to Hollywood which would screw everything up.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Hmmmm.
Iv never seen any of Mr.Takashi's films but i have some hope.
The Death Note movies were all pretty good so who knows.
We could be pleasantly surprised.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Well, I must say, the Ace Attorney series would definitely work as a movie, since they're more about story then actual gameplay.

Jul 9, 2008
Really, what does Phoenix Wright have on the story level that requires a movie? The interesting things about the games are the sorts of things which could not be carried over, and I feel we'd be left with Generic Courtroom Movie, albeit with some occult powers in the mix.

I'm not flat out saying it won't work, but I'm not sure how it could.

Blue Horn

May 16, 2010
I thought Takashi Miike did a good job with the 'Yakuza' movie adaptation, and all his other works are usually awesome, guess we'll have to just wait and see.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
INCREDIBLE news. Miike is one of the most interesting filmmakers working anywhere in the world, and a serious workaholic - for awhile, he was averaging between 3 or 4 feature-length movies PER YEAR.

If you haven't yet had the chance - and can stomach frequently-extreme gore and perversity - you owe it to yourself to check out "Audition," "Dead or Alive" (not the one based on the game, this was a gangster movie) "Ichi The Killer," "Visitor Q," "Gozu" and "Izo" as a good primer. He's also made some pretty excellent (if incredibly bizzare) family-oriented films like "Zebraman" and "The Great Yokai War," plus a live-action version of the anime "Yatterman" that I'm told was pretty good.

EDIT: He also has the ultra-violent Samurai epic, "13 Assassins," currently playing in the U.S. I've seen it, it's AWESOME.