Minecraft-inspired Terraria Pulls in $2 Million in Nine Days

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Minecraft-inspired Terraria Pulls in $2 Million in Nine Days

Now, Terraria has one more thing in common with Minecraft: an overwhelming amount of success for an indie title.

Since Terraria's [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/3267-Terraria-Gameplay"]launch[/a] on May 16, the game has been downloaded 200,000 times on Steam. Through word-of-mouth, media coverage and a [a href="http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/notch-approves-terraria-again-d.3300/"]Twitter shout-out[/a] from Minecraft creator [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109945-Notch-Wants-to-Launch-Minecraft-in-Las-Vegas"]Notch[/a], the game has already acquired a dedicated fan base. Every day, Terraria Online's forum fills up with fan posts that celebrate the game with compliments, guides and fan art.

"It's been such an exciting ride here. You've all helped build a great, huge community here dating back well before pre-release," the developer wrote [a href="http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/terraria-hits-200-000-sales-mark.12105/"]in a statement to the community[/a]. "All of your suggestions have helped make Terraria the game it is today, and what a great game it is! We're all hoping for amazing future patches and further community growth here at Terraria Online."

[a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.286341-Poll-Terraria-a-blatant-rip-off-WTF"]Some say[/a] Terraria is piggybacking on Minecraft's success, as the similarities between the two are immediately apparent. Both games feature randomly generated worlds, monsters that come out at night, destructible environments and a focus on gathering resources and building fortresses, above and below the surface.

However, Terraria is unique in its 2D-perspective and focus on fighting and exploration, rather than appealing solely to the Lego-lover who wants only to build. It's also unique in finding an audience so quickly, where many other Minecraft-inspired indie games have failed.

Source: [a href="http://gamasutra.com/view/news/34836/2D_WordOfMouth_Hit_Terraria_Sells_200K_In_Nine_Days.php"]Gamasutra[/a]

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
SomethingAmazing said:
I cannot, in good conscience, say that Terraria is 2D Minecraft.

To me, it seems more like a Minecraft inspired 2D Metroidvania.
I agree. This feels like a randomly-generated Metroidvania world instead of a 3D sandbox where you can go nuts. I think both games are great for exploring-fans, but I'm still exploring in Terraria here.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Voltano said:
SomethingAmazing said:

I agree. This feels like a randomly-generated Metroidvania world instead of a 3D sandbox where you can go nuts. I think both games are great for exploring-fans, but I'm still exploring in Terraria here.
The wide variety of weapons and actual boss monsters help a bit, too.

pyroghast

Feb 21, 2011
SomethingAmazing said:

would you say its a MINEtroidvania. to be serous the only thing it relay took from minecraft is the block based randomly generated world.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
Senaro said:
Voltano said:
SomethingAmazing said:

The wide variety of weapons and actual boss monsters help a bit, too.
True. I just defeated "Skeletron" last night and finally have access to the dungeon, where I got the "blue moon." I like how there is so much more to find in "Terraria" then in Minecraft, but both games are good for exploration-fans.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Minecraft should start ripping off some of Terrarias features, such as NPCs, furniture, currency, lotsa evil dudes to battle and huge, monstruous boss fights.

Do it.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
Minecraft should start ripping off some of Terrarias features, such as NPCs, furniture, currency, lotsa evil dudes to battle and huge, monstruous boss fights.

Do it.
And the septh, the adventure, the pacing ect. In Terraria if you wander off in any direction, up down left or right, you shall find adventure. If you wander off in any direction in Minecraft apart from down you find nothing of interest.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
My experience in Terraria is that it revolves around combat, but the combat isn't fun.

I'll just stick to Metroid and Castlevania games if I want that, and Minecraft if I want to build. Terraria tries to do both, but succeeds at neither, IMO.

P.S. Thanks

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I like to describe Terraria as "If Minecraft were a game and not a sandbox." Because that's really the best way to describe it. I mean, that and "awesome".

Grufflenark

Nov 17, 2010
Terraria and Minecraft has nothing in common that Minecraft INVENTED.
Minecraft did not invent blocks, digging, the concept called building and zombies.
Terraria was just inspired by Minecraft, the people saying Terraria is "2D Minecraft" are so wrong.
Terraria focuses more on exploration and fighting anyways, with 3 bosses currently, and more to come, while Minecraft is 95% focused on building.

standokan

May 28, 2009
It's like minecraft, but completely different..

edit: Uncanny, that's the word I was looking for

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I'm really damn happy that games like these are pulling in huge amounts of cash. It really says something about the video game industry and how AWESOME it is.

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
Highly addictive, I just want more content, I've got 2 characters now both with all weapons and armour as well as trinkets, several worlds all with Skeletron defeated...

Bane_Star

Dec 4, 2008
It looks like a great looking game, sure..

but what's with all the Minecraft references.. alot of the ideas here are from Dwarf fortress, which Notch admits is where he got the idea for Minecraft..

What I'd like to know is
It's also unique in finding an audience so quickly, where many other Minecraft-inspired indie games have failed.
WHAT other games? and how did they fail.. other than not being public.