Sony Offers PSN Customers a Year of Identity Protection

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sony Offers PSN Customers a Year of Identity Protection

Worried about identity theft after the PSN breach? Sony has you covered.

It's been over a month now since the with mixed reception [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109448-PSN-Down-Worldwide-Is-Anonymous-to-Blame]), and Sony announced a new phase of its apology today.

All PSN members who had an active account as of April 20th, 2011 (the date where Everything Went Down) will be given complementary access to AllClear ID Plus, an identity theft protection service to help prevent nasty hacker-type folks from stealing your personal data. In other words, from the site itself [http://us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/identity-theft-protection/]:

[blockquote]AllClear ID PLUS is a premium identity protection service that uses advanced technology to deliver alerts to help keep you safe. The service also provides identity theft insurance coverage and hands-on help from expert fraud investigators. Sony has arranged, at no charge to eligible PlayStation®Network and Qriocity account holders, for twelve months of this service to be provided by Debix to those who choose to enroll.[/blockquote]

It's not everything, but it's something - and even if it's only twelve months' worth, that should be the danger period for any data lost in the PSN breach. So, this is pretty much only a good thing.

Sign up for the service here [http://us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/identity-theft-protection/], if you're interested. This is for North American customers only, however - Sony probably has other plans for our readers around the world.

Thanks, Poopie McGhee, for sending this in!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
You forgot to mention that this one is for the US only. Other regions will be getting other services and thus different links.

Anyway, I applied for my code a few days ago, got it today, and now I'm all signed up and protected. Thanks Sony! ^_^

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I still don't have anything at stake. There's nothing they could even USE on me.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
They are giving customers identity protection because there identity information got stolen?

Shouldn't this of been done before?...just a hunch...

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
or you could not sign up for psn ever and have your private information be safe forrever (safe from sony's enemies atleast) and not just 12 month's.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Interesting to see if they offer anything outside of the US. Given the attitude of most global companies I doubt it.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
arc1991 said:
They are giving customers identity protection because there identity information got stolen?

Yeah.
They are saying: Here have a free good service!
I am hearing: We fucked up, and we still cant do our job, so have 12 months of this service after which you are fucked!

This is big amounts of stupid.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
While this is an improvement, they need to read Extra Credit's words more carefully; the key is communication. Did they ever at one point just make a public statement to the effect of "Now that it's over, please tell us what you would like us to do to make up for the incident?"

It's been a lot of Sony TELLING us stuff, but that's not what open communication is.

There was once an experiment I'll summarize. An office wanted to boost morale and productivity. They asked for suggestions, and people said the lights are too dim; turn them up. They lied and said back that they had turned them up as a result - people believed them, and productivity went up. They just wanted to be heard.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
ryo02 said:
or you could not sign up for psn ever and have your private information be safe forrever (safe from sony's enemies atleast) and not just 12 month's.
Similarly, if you never left your house, you'd be safe from getting run over by a big, blue bus on a busy street.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
tzimize said:
arc1991 said:

Yeah.
I am hearing: We fucked up, and we still cant do our job, so have 12 months of this service after which you are fucked!

If your personal information isn't used to commit fraud within the first 12 months of it being stolen, the chances of it ever being used to commit fraud thereafter plummet to near zero.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
tzimize said:
I was going to post something with a moderate amount of words and ideas, but you just summed it up so beautifully for me that all I can say is...

This.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
JDKJ said:
tzimize said:
arc1991 said:

Yeah.

If your personal information isn't used to commit fraud within the first 12 months of it being stolen, the chances of it ever being used to commit fraud thereafter plummet to near zero.
Unless of course the hackers hear about this, and decide to wait exactly 13 months.

Honestly, while its a terrible thing to hope for, I hope in 13 months it happens. Drama and all that.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Old news really i got my email from sony like a week ago and been signed up since.

Oddly asked a few others about it and had to give them the links to do it dunno why they emailed some and not others.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
ryo02 said:
..or you could be smart and not use your real information to begin with. Prepaid credit cards and PSN cards could easily cover online purchases. I'm amazed by how people willingly give out their personal information to websites and services.