New Star Wars Show Isn't As Far Along As You'd Hope

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
New Star Wars Show Isn't As Far Along As You'd Hope

George Lucas's recent interview about his planned Star Wars TV series made people think the show's almost ready for airing. Turns out this isn't exactly the case.

Earlier this week, George Lucas whipped Star Wars fans into a frenzy when he discussed a live-action TV series based on his beloved films. However, his comments were actually misinterpreted, and the series isn't nearly as far along as folks were hoping.

The series has <a href=http://io9.com/5167208/live-action-star-wars-tv-show-now-casting-jedis-need-not-apply>apparently been in the works since 2009. Lucas was interviewed by Attack of the Show a few days ago when he was asked about the TV series (which has been shrouded in mystery for quite a while). Lucas responded with the following:

We have 50 hours and we're just waiting to figure out a different way of making movies, a different technology we can use ... to make it feasible to shoot the show...When we do figure this problem out it will dramatically affect a lot of movies. Right now it looks like the Star Wars features.

Naturally, the rumor mill went into overdrive after this. 50 hours? Did he mean that there was already 50 hours of filmed footage? Would there be a Star Wars TV show coming to cable this Fall? io9 decided to investigate and contacted LucasFilm about the statement. A PR rep for the film producer explained that Lucas was only talking about having completed 50 hours of scripts.

Star Wars fans will undoubtedly be disappointed to realize that the new TV series isn't nearly as far along as they were hoping. However, it sounds like the show's eventually going to happen.

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/5806117/no-george-lucas-does-not-have-50-hours-of-a-live+action-star-wars-tv-show-in-the-can>io9

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I thought they'd dropped it, last time I heard anything to do with this was back in 2007.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Well, look at what's in the quote box. "50 hours... make it feasible to shoot the show..." which directly implies that no, they haven't shot anything yet, because it's not yet feasible to do so. So it's kind of obvious if you PAY ATTENTION that nothing's been filmed yet, though I do agree that Lucas should have clarified what he meant by "50 hours" as well... :p

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I hope something goes wrong and it never gets past this point.

I hate Lucas for doing this. Especially with the rumors that it was supposed to be a sitcom. True or not, a Star Wars TV show is a bad idea.

And this is coming from a huge Star Wars fan.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of animated Star Wars sitcom produced by Seth Green? What's going on with that?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102568-Robot-Chicken-Creators-Star-Wars-Sitcom-Will-Be-Awesome

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
I'd have thought it was fairly obvious he didn't mean they had 50 hours of footage, seeing as he quite clearly said they were still looking for a "feasible way to shoot the show". At any rate, I'm skeptical of any Star Wars project that Lucas is involved in as heavily as he seems to be with this one. The man has done little to benefit the franchise since he made the first film.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I want to see a trilogy surrounding the Old Republic. Anyone else? (Also please don't make George Lucas write it)

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I hope it becomes the television version of Spiderman the Musical.

With all due respect, George Lucas (that is to say, none at all), go and fuck yourself. Your franchises do not deserve this loathsome disrespect as a license to milk out more money from the corpses of your cash cows. Leave everything that you have ever had a hand in alone and allow people who actually respect Star Wars to decide the future of Star Wars.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
vansau said:
Star Wars fans will undoubtedly be disappointed to realize that the new TV series isn't nearly as far along as they were hoping.
I don't know, Star Wars fans these days are known less for being excited about Star Wars related news and more for being jaded about anything that comes out of George Lucas.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Ummmmmmmmm, why did you think anyone was hopeful this... this... thing was actually close to being released?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
You mean after what they tried with Clone Wars, people are still excited for something like this?

I just hope they go with a KoToR kinda thing.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
I am no Star Wars fan, nor a film producer. But even I can see this wouldn't work, like at all.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
......The phrase quit while not so far ahead comes to mind. This is my first hearing about a Tv show but I can tell you it will only diminish Starwars further. I think it should of been done after revenge of the sith.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Gah! Someone needs to strip Lucas of his right to produce or create anything Star Wars and give all the rights to Bioware or Christopher Nolan or something. I'm tired of you destroying my childhood icons, Lucas! *sniffes* First the new star wars trilogy then you and speilberg killed indiana jones then you crap out (and on and all around) the force unleashed 1 and 2 and now you want to make a star wars tv show as a momument to all the wanton desicration? *sobs* NoOOOOOoooooooOOOOOooo!

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Well this will be funny. More Star Wars. Written by Lucas. I foresee more fails to come as they milk more cash.
Really, after the three movies, Star Wars should've been done. As far as I'm concerned, it's completely unnecessary to make over 9000 hours of more content just to give some backstory. Augh.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Yea lucas should be locked up and kept far far away from any writing, in fact stick him in a rocket ship and send him to a galaxy far far far far far far away and be done with it.

A former coke head maverick that used to stand for innovative gorilla movie making quickly turned into into a money grubbing whore and promptly began to just make stuff to sell toys. Empire strikes back seen by many as the best film of the series was the one he had the lest hand in writing go figure.

Lucas cannot write he cannot direct and if turns out other than anything as a steaming pile of crap that a two year old could write better, and just chalks it full of cash cow tires in i will probably die of shock.

Go away lucas far far the hell away.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
50 hours of scripts, which is about two full seasons, is quite a bit farther along than I expected this to be. I'm sure those 50 hours still need plenty of work before they're done but it shows a surprising amount of thought being put in to the story arc.

I'm not a fan of Lucas', and I've always been a bigger fan of Star Trek than Star Wars, but if he can make this work more power to him.

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
For those of you saying Lucas should be stripped of his right to create stuff and the like, he's financially independent. He made the Star Wars prequels with HIS OWN MONEY (just used Fox as a distributer) if he wants to make something no ammount of complaining will stop him, he doesn't answer to anyone but himself. If you don't like his recent output, don't buy, don't watch it - no one is forcing you. Not rewarding him with more of your money is the only thing that will discourage him from putting out more product.

I love some of Star Wars, I hate other parts of it. If it/he bothers you so much treat him like an internet troll - ignore him rather than feed him.