Get Plants vs. Zombies Free Today on Android

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Get Plants vs. Zombies Free Today on Android

Everybody sing: "There's a zombie on your Android-powered smartphone~!"

PopCap's Plants vs. Zombies is pretty much our coming to Android free [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6035-Review-Plants-vs-Zombies] (for a day) sometime in May.

Well, that sometime is today. For those of you with phones or tablets running Google's Android OS, head on over to the Amazon Appstore [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_150770_20014390_pe_button/B0052UZIFA] to pick up PopCap's excellent undead-themed tower defense game for the low price of absolutely free. Once the day-one amnesty period is over, though, you'll have to pay $2.99 for it - hardly breaking the bank, especially for a game this good, but it's not free, eh?

Of course there are some Android devices on which Plants vs. Zombies won't run for whatever reason:

[blockquote]--Motorola DROID (works fine on Motorola DROID 2 and some DROID X's), Devour, Flipside
--Samsung Transform, Intercept
--HTC Aria, MyTouch 3G
--Sony Ericsson X8
--Sanyo Zio
--Kyocera Echo
--LG Ally[/blockquote]

Wait, Motorola Droid? I have a Motorola Droid!

This video is suddenly very appropriate [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtE0jcAkvjI]. One moment, everyone, I'm going to go sob into my hands for a bit.

(Amazon Appstore [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe_150770_20014390_pe_button/B0052UZIFA])

Jan 23, 2010
America only? Screw that.

I am very disappointed now.

EDIT: I just tried getting it anyway and it requests me to put in my credit card number, for a FREE app. Screw that twice as much.

tcurt

Jan 28, 2010
The Almighty Grigard said:
America only? Screw that.

I am very disappointed now.
It's not even all of the USA. AT&T (the single largest carrier here) refuses to allow the Amazon app store to be installed on it's Android phones. No app store, no free apps. So this offer is really a regional niche of particular phone service niche of a particular phone OS niche. Not really all that risky for Popcap or Amazon, I guess.

Varewulf

Nosgoth Fanboy
Oct 22, 2009
I actually managed to get the App Store installed (I'm in Norway), but it detected my treachery at the final step of my plan and refused to let me install/download the game. :-/ *sigh* Was worth a try.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
At least this one works on tablets, unlike the other Chuzzle game. Well, I'mma gonna get playing some PvZ on my android tablet now. Though it does suck for everyone not able to get it due to AT&T or in other countries. It must really suck to have one of the very few devices it doesn't work on though.

Thanks for posting this though, as I almost forgot to check the free app of the day.

night_chrono

Mar 13, 2008
Doesn't work on Moto Droid? If I can play PS1 games on it, I think I can manage Plants vs Zombies. Fuck you amazon.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
It does work on HTC aria. It just requires being purchased from the Amazon website then downloaded onto the phone...then sideloaded. This is a lot of work for a free game...but worth it.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Crap! Why did I just buy this on Steam!?!?
I mean, it was cheap as crap, but still, I'm much more likely to play this game on my phone than on computer.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Cadapalo

Jun 8, 2010
I looked at the reviews on amazon for this game and was surprised to see that people had given it a single star. When I looked at the actual post it had people complaining about not being able to run it rather than the merit of the actual game.

OT: My friend has been waiting for this for a while now so I'm sure he'll be happy to have it. Unfortunately I don't have a smart phone (yes there are still people like us) so I won't be able to enjoy PvZ for the millionth time on a phone rather than my comp.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
There's a brilliant idea Amazon! Advertise that you're offering a very popular game for free, yet only restrict it to people in the US, and a very small group of people at that. That won't encourage piracy!