Activision Opens Beta Enrollment For Call of Duty Elite

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Activision Opens Beta Enrollment For Call of Duty Elite

Never one to shy away from controversy, Activision has unveiled a site asking players to sign on for a beta test of the Call of Duty Elite service.

The service, which will launch in earnest alongside Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 this November, offers fans the opportunity to pay a monthly subscription fee for access to exclusive swag including in-game items, maps, and a host of social networking features.

The site itself is pretty self-explanatory. In exchange for an email address, console preference and date of birth, Activision promises to add your name to a "closed beta invite list." [http://www.callofduty.com/elite] Disregarding the firm's nebulous definition of "closed beta," it's nothing you haven't seen before, if you're at all familiar with how gaming betas work.

The baffling/hilarious bit is that this site would appear less than 24 hours after the Call of Duty Elite service was announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110483-Activision-Unveils-New-Call-of-Duty-Online-Service]. Reaction to the plan ranges wildly, from resigned indignation to dumbfounded amazement at the sheer cajones exhibited by the perceived cash grab. I think I have yet to witness anyone actually pleased by the idea, but I'm sure that exists somewhere.

The introduction of this beta website, also raises another important question: how does Activision intend to beta test its Call of Duty Elite service without its companion game? Will gamers be compiling data on Call of Duty: Black Ops, or will those admitted to the beta be playing Modern Warfare 3 well before the rest of us?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I know people have been saying since 2008 that the CoD series really needs a Beta stage to have a well rounded multiplayer.

BUT CHARGING SUBSCRIPTION FEE TO BETA TEST!

Surely not, that cannot be right. Something has to be lost in translation, or whatever.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
All they want is a little information huh? Well considering the situation with Sony lately. My information just became ALOT more valuable than that thank you.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
The site itself is pretty self-explanatory. In exchange for an email address, console preference and date of birth, Activision promises to add your name to a "closed beta invite list."
No nononono! I don't trust this, this just wreaks of trouble.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Hmm, you know where I think Elite subscription fee might be a fair deal:

Dedicated Servers.

The Number 1 bitching point about CoD is lag, or other issues that can ultimately be boiled down to lag. Dedicated servers could do a HUGE job to mitigate that, especially if it had a robust server-browser so you personally can choose the acceptable ping relative to what server mode you want.

So you can either slum-it for free on user-hosted matchmaking games, or pay the piper to go for the 50ms ping.

But how much would be too much? And How much more would the typical CoD fanboy be willing to pay?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
The introduction of this beta website, also raises another important question: how does Activision intend to beta test its Call of Duty Elite service without its companion game? Will gamers be compiling data on Call of Duty: Black Ops, or will those admitted to the beta be playing Modern Warfare 3 well before the rest of us?
Wait, didn't the trailer say that the elite service was for Black Ops and beyond? So why is it a question if they are or aren't going to test it on Black Ops?

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
Until I hear a price on this, I'm still a little sceptical, but how is any of it a particularly bad idea? I'll put aside the "bungie.net had this 4 years ago" argument

From what I gather, multiplayer will still be "free", and Elite has two sections: the basic and the premium. Although the information from Activision is still a little vague, I assume that the stat-tracking basics will be free for anyone who registers for Elite, while the group, clan (and clan tournaments with prizes) and social-networking features will be part of the premium section. Premium members will also get access to map packs - either early, reduced or free.

And kindly point me towards the source that says that paid-members will get in-game items - not including map packs.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Sooooo the madden of the FPS is not only going to be a mediocre title riding on it's predecessors namesake, but now require a monthly fee for new content?

Huh, totally did not see that coming.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Rednog said:
Wait, didn't the trailer say that the elite service was for Black Ops and beyond? So why is it a question if they are or aren't going to test it on Black Ops?
It's not. The question is whether they'll also give CoD Elite testers access to MW3 prior to launch.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Treblaine said:
I know people have been saying since 2008 that the CoD series really needs a Beta stage to have a well rounded multiplayer.

BUT CHARGING SUBSCRIPTION FEE TO BETA TEST!

Surely not, that cannot be right. Something has to be lost in translation, or whatever.
Uhm, no. You're signing up to test the Elite service, not paying to test MW3 multiplayer.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Rednog said:
It's not. The question is whether they'll also give CoD Elite testers access to MW3 prior to launch.
Doubt it.

According to these guys [http://kotaku.com/5806775/how-call-of-duty-elite-works-and-why-you-might-be-paying-for-it] who went to a hands on, beta will be based on Black ops.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Considering this website is one of the most CoD-phobic websites on the internet, I shouldn't need to say this, but I'll do it anyway.

I IMPLORE anyone who reads this NOT to buy into this, all this will do is lead into the subscription for multiplayer full stop crap which will give other developers license to do the same thing.

/tinfoil hat but I still stand behind the statement.