World Health Organization Links Cell Phones, Cancer Risk

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
World Health Organization Links Cell Phones, Cancer Risk

What do lead, chloroform and your cell phone have in common? According to the World Health Organization, they can all increase your chances of getting cancer.

Though quick to note that the WHO's newly-announced findings do not denote a definite health risk from the use of cellular technology, a new story from CNN cites findings from an international coalition of 31 scientists that link cell phone use to an increase in brain cancer.

In explanation of the findings, Dr. Keith Black, chairman of neurology at Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, likened the radiation given off by a cellular phone to a small microwave. "What microwave radiation does in most simplistic terms is similar to what happens to food in microwaves, essentially cooking the brain," he said.

"So in addition to leading to a development of cancer and tumors, there could be a whole host of other effects like cognitive memory function, since the memory temporal lobes are where we hold our cell phones," Black continued.

In rebuttal, the cell phone industry claims that the WHO study conducted no actual new research, instead relying on previously published data.

The only thing the two sides of the argument seem to agree on is that it is incredibly difficult to firmly link anything to cancer. "The biggest problem we have is that we know most environmental factors take several decades of exposure before we really see the consequences," Dr. Black said.

Of course, when dealing with a topic as sensitive as cancer, and a gadget that the European Environmental Protection Agency has likened to smoking and abestos, it pays to be cautious. "When you look at cancer development -- particularly brain cancer -- it takes a long time to develop. I think it is a good idea to give the public some sort of warning that long-term exposure to radiation from your cell phone could possibly cause cancer," said University of Washington bioengineering professor, and renowned expert on the effects of radiation, Dr. Henry Lai.

If you were hoping for a succinct, pithy answer for your now-growing fear of holding that phone to your head, I can't offer that. Truth is, we won't really know if you ought to ditch your iPhone for a rotary for years to come, if ever. That said, with the World Health Organization leaning toward a grim prognosis and cell phone manufacturers already warning you to hold the devices at least an inch away from your cranium, it's probably a good idea to buy a Bluetooth headset.

At least until we find out that Bluetooth causes gingivitis.

Source: CNN [http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/05/31/who.cell.phones/index.html]
(Image: KB35 [http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb35/369380644/])

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
I thought it had already been proven that cell phones give off absolutely no radiation whatsoever.

better add it to my list of things that cause cancer, right next to Listerine.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
HankMan said:
OH DEAR! I better call my mother and give her the news!
...wait a minute.
Ok, I'll admit, that was a good one sir. :D

I too thought it was proven that cell phones gave no radiation. Well thankfully I'm a loser so for the most part my phone just remains in my pocket and not on.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Hm. I don't make calls very often, and when I do, I tend to use the earphone/mic gizmo I got with the phone.

So it's just tobacco and aspartame now. Let's kick those in the next year..

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Wait? I thought this was already somewhat proved.

Does this mean my lower torso might get cancer for keeping my phone in my pocket?

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
How could a phone not emit radiation? What does it use to transmit communication then, magic?

Everything we use emits electromagnetic waves, because our gadges are electric, and an electric current can't help but creating an electromagnetic field around it. What we need to worry about is if it gets absorbed or not by the brain/other organs. And if it is, I wonder why don't they just change to a frequency to which we're transparent (within the limits of the available technology, of course).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yes, you get radiation from phones. Yes, radiation increase your risk of cancer.

On the other hand, all sorts of things generate radiation. The sun comes to mind.

The higher up you go, the less atmosphere there is between you and cosmic rays, so there's more danger from radiation as well.

Nobody panics over this.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Tzekelkan said:
How could a phone not emit radiation? What does it use to transmit communication then, magic?

Everything we use emits electromagnetic waves, because our gadges are electric, and an electric current can't help but creating an electromagnetic field around it. What we need to worry about is if it gets absorbed or not by the brain/other organs. And if it is, I wonder why don't they just change to a frequency to which we're transparent (within the limits of the available technology, of course).
You'll always absorb some of the radiation (especially since you're having it right next to you), of which a tiny amount damages by random chance.

That's all I know. I'm not a physicist however.

Proving something causes cancer is incredibly difficult if the effects are only visible in the long-term, however I'm inclined to believe the WHO on this one.
It makes me sad that everytime a new potential source of cancer is found, people around me go "well, you get cancer from EVERYTHING nowadays so who cares?". And then they still hope for a cure?! Preventing is part of that!

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Given my cell usage (or general lack thereof) I'm far more concerned about getting cancer in my penis or balls, beside which my cell phone often rests. Seriously.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Wait, no links to the actual study? Or what studies they based their data on? I mean, I've read a Danish study that connected cellphone radiation to cancer, but I also read Norwegian and Japanese studies based on a decade and a half of cellphone use that found no connection. I don't recall seeing any kind of data based on 'decades' of cellphone use however. I'll have to research this a bit more and find what their data is actually based on before I render any kind of judgement.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
We soak up plenty of radiation in our normals lives, even if you don't have a cellphone. Even the natural world generates radiation, because anything made of molecules has the potential for firing off some electrons at you. That includes even your own body. Yes, radio waves and microwaves are a little stronger, but aren't anything new. Earth has been hit with them for eons from stars that naturally produce them. What little our phones make hardly changes the equation.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
devotedsniper said:
Didn't they say this about mobile phones years ago? like 5-10 years ago?
Yes... And the antennas were stronger and BIGGER back then.

Also did you know that everyone who ever tea has died and will died. Do you see the connection between tea and the definite mortal rate now? Do you regret drinking tea and will you think twice of drinking tea now?

Also on the headlines, I have a rock on my desk that keeps lions away, of course there aren't any lions in Finland and that is all thanks to this rock. Would you like to buy this rock so you can be safe of tigers also?

On topic...
I know this dude, who been sitting front of phone antennas as a job for bast something 15 years, developing and testing them, guess what hes cancer free. Tho he is balding slowly, being 50 and all, you think Telephone antennas and balding at older age might be connected?

And they are going to start selling those golden "rad shields" again... Oh the mid and end 90's how useless were you...

Also, I am not physics student but, radio-waves aren't ionizing radiation. ? Specially the short wavelengths?

Why ain't the scourging trough the foods and chemicals anymore? Aren't they enough of a scare anymore?

FistsOfTinsel

Jun 23, 2008
The WHO hasn't "linked" cell phones to cancer. By putting them on this list, they've merely said that it merits further investigation - essentially, they've said they can't rule conclusively that cell phones DON'T cause cancer.

A better sourced article is here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/05/31/136821133/cellphones-may-be-a-cancer-risk-after-all

hypovolemia

Mar 25, 2011
Wait, chloroform causes cancer? Well, that's good to know.

Fortunately I don't use my cellphone very often, so I'm not exactly worried even if it turns out that it really does cause cancer.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
HerbertTheHamster said:
I thought it had already been proven that cell phones give off absolutely no radiation whatsoever.

better add it to my list of things that cause cancer, right next to Listerine.
You do know what electromagnetic radiation is, right?

And the lack of a conclusive answer on whether this radiation leads to higher rates of cancer is surprising after all this time. It's been what, 30 years now? Though it took a lot longer for the link between lung cancer and cigarettes to be proven...