Sega Clears Aliens: Colonial Marines For 2012

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sega Clears Aliens: Colonial Marines For 2012

Gearbox shooter Aliens: Colonial Marines has officially emerged from the dark.

Gearbox's <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Pc/dp/B00149NCW4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306951753&sr=8-3"
target="_blank">Aliens: Colonial Marines had been floundering around in space for years, but now the game is officially preparing for re-entry onto retail shelves. Sega has announced that the game's official release window will be spring 2012.

So, it's a year away, but at least we can stop wondering what the deal is now. Of course, Aliens: Colonial Marines is based on the Alien [http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-Blu-ray-Sigourney-Weaver/dp/B004RE29PO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306952003&sr=8-1] movie franchise that pitted human against acid-spitting Xenomorph. The game will do the same.

Gearbox chief Randy Pitchford says Aliens: Colonial Marines is "designed as an interactive successor" to the films. The first-person shooter will feature co-op, but even with friends it'll still likely be freaky as hell when Xenomorphs jump out of a ventilation shaft and run at you upside down.

Colonial Marines' storyline revolves around the abandoned U.S.S. Sulaco. As Colonial Marines, players will have to explore the Sulaco to discover what happened to its crew. Clue: Xenomorphs. The game's first teaser trailer mentions names familiar to fans of the Alien franchise, so expect real connections between Colonial Marines and previous Alien media.

[video=3378]

Sega and Gearbox will reveal more about Aliens: Colonial Marines at E3 2011. The game is in development for the PC, Xbox 360, and PS3.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
So it's like the recent Alien versus Predator game without the fun and unique bits, awesome.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
hopefully there will be some decent enemy variety thats what the alien series kind of lacks beyond that I like it.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
if it's anything like the rumors, I'm pumped as all hell...
supposedly, this is like Left 4 Dead, but with Aliens. one marine has a motion tracker and little else, one has a smartgun, one has a flamethrower, and one has the standard pulse rifle. there are different kinds of enemies (Scouts=fast and weak, might run away, Warriors=bigger and tougher, facehuggers, etc) and plenty of randomly generated "OH SHIT" moments (ie. walking along, all of a sudden, you're yanked into a vent. your comrades have to free you or else you die).

this sounds like an AMAZING game, especially seeing as how some of AvP's best parts were swarm and infestation with marines. cannot wait for this game. all I need to know... is where... they... are...

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
If this plays like it should, a survival horror shooter, this will be a dream come true.

Plus the more references to the films the better!

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Bah this movie is 25 years old, let it die with dignity.

It was totally cool when it came out but like all science fiction it just doesn't age that well.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So, still on schedule for the first quarter of 2009 right?

I'd quite like to see Gearbox finish this, although how the world managed two Alien games in development at the same time without a legal cluster mine detonatig is beyond me.

HankMan said:
This game won't go over too well in England, I hear they have a lot of Xenophobia.
Damn right we do, the freaking hive was under Battersea Power Station the whole time! Aliens, right in the middle of London! Game over, game over maaannnn...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Damn right we do, the freaking hive was under Battersea Power Station the whole time! Aliens, right in the middle of London! Game over, game over maaannnn...
Aliens in London? Aren't you used to that by now, what with all the Yeti and Cybermen and time travelling dinosaurs and whatnot?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Aliens in London? Aren't you used to that by now, what with all the Yeti and Cybermen and time travelling dinosaurs and whatnot?
Yeah but some scottish bloke always deals with those, I think the council have him on speed dial or something.

These ones are bigguns, proper man eaters and they're living under the place Gary Oldman and that welsh guy go when they want to blow stuff up.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
BanthaFodder said:
supposedly, this is like Left 4 Dead, but with Aliens. one marine has a motion tracker and little else, one has a smartgun, one has a flamethrower, and one has the standard pulse rifle. there are different kinds of enemies (Scouts=fast and weak, might run away, Warriors=bigger and tougher, facehuggers, etc) and plenty of randomly generated "OH SHIT" moments (ie. walking along, all of a sudden, you're yanked into a vent. your comrades have to free you or else you die).

this sounds like an AMAZING game, especially seeing as how some of AvP's best parts were swarm and infestation with marines. cannot wait for this game. all I need to know... is where... they... are...
Source please - if that's the case then fuck yeah - there might actually be a decent aliens gae in there :D Didn't like the recent one AT ALL, and the 2 main PC ones are pretty seriously dated. Gotta get me some Alien action ^_^ L4D would be a pretty good model to make an aliens game on, better than trying to balance individual drones vs gun toting marines for multiplayer!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I was just saying a couple of days ago how I wanted some news on Colonial Marines, and here we are. Judging from the chatter, the writer seems more than competent, so now I'll just have to sit and hope that Gearbox will put together the co-op Aliens experience I've been waiting for for ages.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
Wicky_42 said:
BanthaFodder said:

Source please - if that's the case then fuck yeah - there might actually be a decent aliens gae in there :D Didn't like the recent one AT ALL, and the 2 main PC ones are pretty seriously dated. Gotta get me some Alien action ^_^ L4D would be a pretty good model to make an aliens game on, better than trying to balance individual drones vs gun toting marines for multiplayer!
well, there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzQCW9KTsUY
but that's mostly speculation and such, the only other source I can remember is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_Colonial_Marines
jsyk, I in no way know if they're still doing this (AI who react differently to different situations, 4 player co-op, etc) but since they're sticking with the original plan for the story, I think it's a safe bet to name this the most likely outcome until E3

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
I predict a new multi-player drinking game. Every time some random D bag screams "Game over man!" you have to take a shot. I'm willing to bet many comas would be induced.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Cramped, dark, corridors, vents, horror, jump scares, facehuggers...

I'm in. Bring it on!

SilentP

Jun 2, 2011
Finally! Some news about this game. Can't wait for some pulse rifle toting, motion tracking carrying, pant wetting gunning terror..

I can imagine that at least the story for this one will be better than the recent AvP game. Don't know what it is, but the stories for the AvP franchise always seem a bit...fanboyish. And I'm definitely looking forward to the co-op mode* :)

*Though I can imagine my group of friends will have to come up with new 'quotes' to not become a complete rehash of the Aliens script :p

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
IT'S GONNA BE ON THE WiiU.
and the secondary screen acts as the motion tracker... I watched that bit of gameplay from E3 about 5 times now.... holy shit I'm pumped...