First Trailer for The Darkness 2 Goes to Town with the Blood and Gore

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
First Trailer for The Darkness 2 Goes to Town with the Blood and Gore

If you're not keen on people being cut in half, or indeed, ripped in half, The Darkness 2 might not be the game for you.

The first gameplay trailer for The Darkness 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Darkness-II-Xbox-360/dp/B004ML7WOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307020560&sr=8-1 ] is out, and it's a veritable how-to guide for taking people out in grisly and bizarre ways. Not that a game about a Mafia hitman who plays host to a powerful and bloodthirsty demonic entity was never going to be filled with cuddles and candy, of course.

[video=3360]

The Darkness 2 puts players back into the shoes of frequently-dead [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable/551-The-Darkness] Mafioso Jackie Estacado, whose supernatural powers have allowed him to rise through the ranks of the Franchetti family to become its Don. An attempt on Jackie's life starts a turf war between the Mafia families, but as you can see from the trailer, angry mobsters aren't the only thing that Jackie has after him.

Earlier media [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/gdc_2011/8705-The-Darkness-2-First-Look] from The Darkness 2 has hinted at the amount of blood in the game, but seeing it all in action is something else entirely. It's pretty clear that developer Digital Extremes has decided to ramp up the level of gore from the first game, which is saying something for a title that including eating people's hearts. It also looks like the Darkness itself is going to get more hands on too - well, fanged-maws on anyway - and the environment will play more of a part in dispatching foes.

What's more interesting though, is the hints of plot that the trailer contain, particularly the return of Jackie's girlfriend Jenny. Jenny was murdered in the first game by Jackie's uncle Paulie and the corrupt cop Chief Shrote, while Jackie - who was being restrained by the Darkness - watched helplessly. Jenny's line at the end of the trailer suggests that her afterlife isn't the eternal bliss that she deserves, but how that fits into gang wars and crucifixions isn't clear yet.

The Darkness 2 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on October 4th in North America, and October 7th In Europe.

Source: via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/304261/darkness-2-gameplay-trailer-isnt-for-the-faint-hearted/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
The darkness was one of my first 360 games, and easily one of my favourite. Story took a while to get interesting. 'I've been possessed by a force beyond the vail of time, so the first thing I'll do is kick some street rats then post some letters'. The Darkness world was brilliant, though. Crapping myself was a regular occurance there. This game will be got!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
This is possibly the third time he died... maybe...

OT: Gore is all well and good but I wan't to know if the game is actually good or if the blood is meant to hide the shittiness.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Seeing this, I feel I should give the first one a spin, to see what it's like. The trailer looks... well, bloody. I winced when the guy got torn in half. Ouch.

However, mainly excited for the Unskippable for this =D

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
I still haven't figured out if part 1 was underrated or not. It didn't get a lot of attention, but most people who have played it seem to love it (myself included).

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Am I gonna have to watch ANOTHER dude pine over his dead girlfriend while going slowly insane... thats happened one to many times over my gaming life.

Still the first one looked fun timez, I will definatly be giving this one a look. I hope I get to summon the Napoleon Darkling who rides a T.rex which I saw in the comics, that would be AWESOME!!!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Hm. I heard some surprisingly good things about the first one.

However, it never made it to PC and sadly I do not own a console.

So this'll be a pass for me.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
I do wish that people that make the trailers, would insert the name of the bands or songs theyre using for the trailers...

Also i feel like this cartoonish graphic is good for the framerate, but personnaly i think it looks visualy hideous...

But who knows i might be wrong.... its something i should be forward to check out...

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
The Darkness did have a fairly good story and I loved how it really tried to mix up the FPS formula, but I just couldn't get into it thanks to the unintuitive interface, clunky controls, and Jackie himself being one of the most uninteresting, boring, and outright dull video game protagonists in the universe.

Seeing this trailer gives me a little hope. The Darkness powers seem to be more streamlined for gameplay, there is more color and variety in the enemies and environments, and good God that kill at 00:42... Uugh. X|

So far, TD2 is looking pretty good.

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
Please Australian Government, just fuck off and don't try to ban or censor this game, you've done enough damage already.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Ok. First off The Darkness is one of my favourite games ever, and is an unappreciated gem. Secondly: was that Armin Shimerman doing that voice?

Thirdly: Is Mike Patton still playing The Darkness? I know he had quite a vocal range in the last game, but that didn't sound like him.

Finally: What's with the cartoon black borders around everything? Is it going to look like Borderlands? I loved the gritty look of the last one, and I'm not too hot on a design change.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Zhukov said:
Hm. I heard some surprisingly good things about the first one.

However, it never made it to PC and sadly I do not own a console.

So this'll be a pass for me.
Wikipedia?

thenumberthirteen said:
Ok. First off The Darkness is one of my favourite games ever, and is an unappreciated gem. Secondly: was that Armin Shimerman doing that voice?

Thirdly: Is Mike Patton still playing The Darkness? I know he had quite a vocal range in the last game, but that didn't sound like him.

Finally: What's with the cartoon black borders around everything? Is it going to look like Borderlands? I loved the gritty look of the last one, and I'm not too hot on a design change.
They changed it so that it would match the comic.

OT: Looks good, never played the first, but this does look promising. As PCG pointed out, there's some very err... subtle sybolism going on, so hopefully it'll be written maturely enough to maintain that sort of thing.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Probably won't be seeing this one in Australia.
That's a pity, because it definitely looks interesting.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
The darkness was one of my first 360 games, and easily one of my favourite. Story took a while to get interesting. 'I've been possessed by a force beyond the vail of time, so the first thing I'll do is kick some street rats then post some letters'. The Darkness world was brilliant, though. Crapping myself was a regular occurance there. This game will be got!
you got too close to pestilence, didn't you? :p

Looks awesome, but I hope all of this awesome tentacley power is intuitively controlled with tighter gunplay.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Doclector said:
The Cheezy One said:
you got too close to pestilence, didn't you? :p

Looks awesome, but I hope all of this awesome tentacley power is intuitively controlled with tighter gunplay.
Yeah, that was weird and scary, considering I was 15. Famine was also pretty weird
"Oh look. It's a horse, or maybe a thin coOH MY GOSH!"
Although the German guy swearing at me while I stole his cannon was hilarious.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
kman123 said:
The Darkness is my favorite current gen game, due to the story.

This one looks like a huge improvement GAMEPLAY wise...I'm still wary of how the story will unfold.
My thoughts exactly. It looks like the game they wanted to make the first time. But I feat that a new dev team won't be able to capture the same feel and power behind the story.