Free 3D Pokémon Title Helps Launch 3DS eShop On June 6

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Free 3D Pokémon Title Helps Launch 3DS eShop On June 6

The 3DS eShop will launch with a game that'll turn the handheld into a Pokédex.

Every Pokémon player that gets into the series has dreamed about owning a real world version of the Pokédex at some point. With the 3DS's upcoming eShop update, supporters of Nintendo's newest handheld will come pretty close.

Nintendo has announced that the June 6 launch of the eShop will come with a free download called Pokédex 3D that gives users the ability to collect data on Pokémon from White [http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Black-Version-Nintendo-DS/dp/B004EW2PC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307027328&sr=8-1]. These Pokémon can be viewed in 3D with animated motion and sound, and trainers can see their stats and sort the little beasts by various criteria. If you don't have a particular Pokémon, you can trade with friends or use SpotPass to fill out your Pokédex. For now, it looks like Pokédex 3D will only work with Black & White.

The eShop launch isn't all about Pokémon, however. In North America, Nintendo is offering a remastered 3D version of the NES's Excitebike for free until July 7. The 3DS Virtual Console will launch with Game Boy titles Super Mario Land, Alleyway, and Radar Mission. DSiWare games will also be available in the eShop and Nintendo says users can "easily" transfer content from their DSi systems to the 3DS.

New content will be added to the eShop on Thursdays. In the future, Nintendo promises original 3DS software, more remastered "3D Classics" such as Excitebike, and additional Game Boy and Game Boy Color Virtual Console games. Japan is getting Game Boy versions of Kirby and Mega Man for its eShop launch, just to give you an idea of what we may be in store for eventually.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
Does anyone know what the european freebies are? I had heard they were going to be the same as north america but confirmation would be nice.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
This is supposed to be free before anyone says, "Another cash in"

Also, I want a 3DS, so I can compare my hieght to my pokemon (I'm 6" 6')

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
hmm, i used to own a real pokedex, it had a black and white lcd and was back when only the first gen pokemon existed.
still isnt enough for me to trade in my ds (the first fat one that ill probably get $20 for), i may consider if only for ocarina of time cause i still havent played it.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
God, I hope by the time I get a 3DS (Xmas this year), this'll still be around. I would love to see the Pokemon I colelcted in 3D. If it also has the ability to show their shiny forms in 3D, automatic win.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
...We're still getting Mega Man Legends 3 Prototype, right? I want that. I really want that.

harvz said:
hmm, i used to own a real pokedex, it had a black and white lcd and was back when only the first gen pokemon existed.
still isnt enough for me to trade in my ds (the first fat one that ill probably get $20 for), i may consider if only for ocarina of time cause i still havent played it.
Haha, my brother had that. It had a tinier, crappier screen than the original GameBoy. It was awful. But at the time, the little kids he and I were loved it. :p

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I still would rather an app on my phone with all this information. But I'll probably end up nabbing it when I get a 3DS.