Duke Nukem Forever Finally Gets A Launch Trailer

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Duke Nukem Forever Finally Gets A Launch Trailer

After nearly 15 years in development, Duke Nukem Forever has a launch trailer, and it's pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

Specifically, that means swears, gore, explosions, aliens getting punched in the groin, strippers, trucks jumping off of ramps, hip-hop-flavored hair metal remixes, women with obvious daddy issues and a giant alien with three breasts.

[video=3351]

It should go without saying, but don't play this trailer in front of your kids, at work, or anywhere near a Bible.

If nothing else the trailer certainly lives up to the expectations of Gearbox Software head Randy Pitchford [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110567-Being-a-Cliche-Makes-Duke-Nukem-Unique-Says-Gearbox-Boss]; Duke is a walking, talking, smoking, bench-pressing, cliché of all things described as "awesome" by teenage boys. Fortunately for the eternally-in-development Duke Nukem Forever, that's exactly what the target audience wants.

If this seems puerile or sexist or low brow, congratulations, you're not part of the game's audience.

The real question here is whether Duke Nukem Forever can be successful by alienating huge swaths of the potential fanbase in a quest to cater to a specific, if sizable, niche population.

My opinions are still all tied up in how terrible the trailer's music was, so feel free to posit your own.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
Am i the only one hopeing that this game will stop all these realistic shooters or ones trying to be the next COD and make develepors go back to the old let's just make an all around fun game?
The demo will probably make me decide if im buying this or not though

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
inb4 "Still don't think it's really coming". Seriously, looks fun. Definitely gonna get it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeesh.

I still can't decide if this game is stupidly funny or just plain stupid.

Yeah, sure, that's what they're going for. But is deliberately making something utterly juvenile really a step up from being incapable of making it anything but juvenile?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009

I'll be honest. I just jizzed my pants. ITS COMING, ITS REALLY COMING :O

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010

boy, Duke Nukem Forever and Serious Sam 3?

this is gonna be a bad year for my academic performance

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
That "I'd still hit it" line made my day right there :p
This is pure gold, fucking A.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
zdog jr said:
Am i the only one hopeing that this game will stop all these realistic shooters or ones trying to be the next COD and make develepors go back to the old let's just make an all around fun game?
The demo will probably make me decide if im buying this or not though
Considering how far up their ass FPS's have gotten, I am hoping that as well. I'm getting sick of stuff like CoD and 90% of TPS's who seemed to be ashamed of just being fun and ridiculous. It's why I love games like Vanquish and Bulletstorm that embrace the absurdity of games instead of trying to be "grim, gritty, and realistic". Fuck. That. Sometimes I just want to reduce an eight-headed alien overlord to a fine paste using a gun the size of a small car.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
I'm getting this.
No matter the cost, I'm getting this wonderful piece of art... sorry, I can't even write it - It's trash and I like every moment of it!

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
I believe im getting this... On a side note is yathzee going to get a copy before anybody else so he can "review" it?

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
god i hope this will be a big hit....something needs to break the goddamn modern military grey/brown seriousness of the Modern Warfare cycle.

Apr 28, 2008
I freaking hate how the Gametrailers video widget never sets the appropriate resolution based on the size of the thing. Its a small screen, yet it plays the normal resolution as if its taking up most of the screen, meaning you only see a tiny corner in the actual player. And clicking full screen doesn't do anything. Damn thing's broken.

Now I gotta go to youtube to watch it. Damn gametrailers...

My bitching aside, I find this all surreal.

I mean... Duke Nukem Forever is coming out, and even has a launch trailer. And yet, I still feel like this isn't coming out. Guess I'll believe it when I see it.