German Police Training Vultures To Locate Corpses

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
German Police Training Vultures To Locate Corpses

Dogs are great at finding dead bodies, but there are some places the helpful canines just can't go. Solution? Trained vultures.

The plan hatched by German police officials is to attach a GPS locator to the carrion birds and use their training in conjunction with the birds' natural proclivity for rotting flesh to sniff out corpses.

What firmly sets this plan in "seriously, why didn't anyone think of this before?" territory is how incredibly mobile the birds are. Corpse dogs (the currently preferred method of locating dead bodies) are able to cover huge tracts of land, squeeze into tiny spaces and generally outpace humans, but vultures can fly. When trying to locate a corpse in a heavily wooded area (read: exactly the sort of place one might dump a body), that literal bird's eye view is invaluable.

Additionally, vultures absolutely love dead bodies. Not in a creepy romantic way, but in a creepy "I want to eat your rotten parts" way. Due to this affection for spoiled meat, the last few million years of evolution have given the vulture the ability to sniff out a body from 3,000 feet away.

Of course, the birds do require some human guidance. Specifically the vultures have to be trained to only seek out human bodies, instead of some unlucky rabbit who met the sharp end of a mountain lion a few nights previous. Presumably, police are also attempting to train the vultures to not actually eat the bodies once they are found.

"If it works, time could be saved when looking for dead bodies because the birds can cover a much vaster area than sniffer dogs or humans," said German policeman Rainer Herrmann.

Source: Geekologie [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/7730513/German-police-to-use-sniffer-vultures.html]
(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/flamesworddragon/3385551709/])

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Hopefully they'll be able to train these Police Vultures to not eat the corpses they find too.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
This is a good idea, why didn't we think of this before?!

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Looks like someone has been playing Red Dead Redemption. :p

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
I feel stupid for not thinking of this...

Though, i'd imagine it'd be an issue of them actually eating the bodies.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
We need to do this in America! We have no shortage of lawyers.

Oh, the OTHER kind of Vultures.

Also, when I first read this, I read it "German Police Training Vultures to Loot Corpses"

Tuqui

Mar 2, 2011
Harbinger_ said:
Hopefully they'll be able to train these Police Vultures to not eat the corpses they find too.
'We found your husband ms.'
-I want to see the body now-
'Ma'am we think you should wait, the body isn't complete'
-what happened to him? was the cause of death?-
'No ma'am it's just...ehm...the birds weren't fed last nite....'

Feb 13, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Presumably, police are also attempting to train the vultures to not actually eat the bodies once they are found.
Got to admit that was my first thought.

Chief, we've found a carcass.
It's all bones! What happened to it?
Chief, you sent a vulture to get it.

Perhaps they should just stick with these guys?

And then they can REEEEEppppp-doooooo---PIIIIInng the corpse.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Harbinger_ said:
Again, my first thought. Then again, it would cut down on the costs of feeding them... saving s are important in these economic times!

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
I can already imagine the autopsy reports: "the corpse appears to have been gnawed upon by some kind of large bird, possibly a vulture".

Good idea though. They are fast, and definitely able to find corpses.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Last I remember, vultures are stupid birds (as in not smart, not stupid as in I don't like them) and hard to train, so I don't think that this will go over well.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
"Oh, we're using vultures now. Yeah, we figure that training these wild animals is probably the better way to go about things, especially since they work much better. Oh, but your dog is nice too".

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Hopefully the vultures won't cover land too fast that by the time police arrive their evidence is being eaten.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Internet Kraken said:
My brain rejects the possibility that vultures could be useful. Fuck those things.
I don't think the vultures would appreciate you engaging in sexual activities with them. :p