Sega Toys Announces Adorable Robot Dog Peripheral

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Sega Toys Announces Adorable Robot Dog Peripheral

Robot dog? Game controller? Guaranteed sale to everyone who wishes they owned a puppy? Sega Toys' upcoming "Wappy Dog" is all of these.

In sum, Wappy Dog is a peripheral created by Sega Toys and Activision Publishing designed to interact with an upcoming, as-yet-untitled Nintendo DS game. The dog can understand 18 commands spoken into the Nintendo DS microphone, and will respond with 350 evolving responses ranging from the relatively typical (barking) to the unrealistic, but totally cute (singing and dancing).

Not much is known of the game that will accompany Wappy Dog, but the official press release does mention a host of mini games and the ability to sync game progress with the robot dog itself.

"This one-of-a-kind toy and video game combines a strong emotional bond and exciting virtual experience with the interaction of a physical pet," said Activision Publishing's David Oxford.

As Gamasutra points out however, Oxford isn't entirely accurate in his praise for Wappy Dog. robot dogs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.O.B.].

That, boys and girls, is the real question mark in this situation. Wappy is undeniably adorable and people do so love adorable these days, but given that Nintendo's R.O.B. the Robot peripheral was met with middling success, and Sony's AIBO was a flop, one wonders exactly how successful Wappy might be. Cynically speaking, I'll be impressed if the concept survives a single calendar year.

An earlier press release, issued in February, claims Wappy Dog will hit store shelves this Christmas. Without any new, contradictory information, I expect to see Wappy Dog and its companion game this holiday season.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35001/Sega_Activision_Unveil_Robot_Dog_Controlled_Through_DS_Game.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29]

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Wappy Dog? Who comes up with these stupid ass names for stupid ass products like this?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Well, you know somebody out there is going to graft some laser eyes onto this thing and modify it to sync with the DSi cameras to a touch screen targeting system, so it won't be a total waste of time for humanity.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Sonic fans! Gaze at where the money you pay for every new Sonic game that comes out this generation is sunk into in between making more shitty Sonic games and a shitty amusement park based in where I live! (Sega Republic Dubai)

darkbshadow

Nov 9, 2006
ZeroG131 said:
Wait...what the fuck is Sega Toys and did we not learn from the whole R.O.B thing?
Well they did kinda since they made it look like a dog. I kinda see this selling well since some people like cute robotic dogs, and some people like Nintendogs and well this is like both of them together. If nothing else it will be big in japan.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
HankMan said:
Am I the only one who was reminded of Pinkie Pie when I heard the bark?
Kids will be hounding their parents for this.
Somehow, just -somehow-, you never run out of material. Good show, good show.

Also,

http://www.quickmeme.com/Lame-Pun-Coon/

ChillShark

Oct 13, 2010
As if the yapping of a real dog wasn't annoying enough...

"Kids love video-games" "Now you can give them another device to limit their outside-play-time."

I think it's kinda creepy stroking and petting a hard plastic animal. It just doesn't feel right.

NimrodXIV

Jul 12, 2010
So it's Nintendogs + Poo-chi. *headdesk*
I'm sure it will be a fad for a few months, then everyone will forget about it.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
NimrodXIV said:
So it's Nintendogs + Poo-chi. *headdesk*
I'm sure it will be a fad for a few months, then everyone will forget about it.
I remember reading an article where someone was seriously suggesting that robot dogs might replace real dogs. turns out real dogs have and are still awesome. Robot dogs on the other hand....