Hair of the Dog

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
I have not seen the scene so take that as you may. Bob you seem to be equating accepting a transsexual as a person with finding out you have been raped by one. Yes if someone has sex with you and you are chemically impaired it is rape. I can be friends with transsexual I can be nice to them in the street, that said if I wake up with rectal bleeding and someone told me the hot lady I got drunk with last night wrecked my anus I'm going to freak out.

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
I can't respect any film that dehumanizes a person just because their different. I have gay friends, lesbien friends and transexual friends and I see them persecuted enough on a day to day basis.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Is there some specific limit to the amount of time Moviebob ia allowed to spend talking on his show? I mean, some Extra Credits episodes have gone for nearly ten minutes before. I highly doubt anyone would mind listening to Moviebob elaborate on his opinions a bit longer (and if you do mind, why are you even watching it in the first place?), as long as he's allowed.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
This is a really well-reasoned point, entirely correct, and will clear a lot of things up.

Unless, of course, the people freaking out about your review are doing so because they are secretly homophobic themselves and don't want to admit it...

Folix

Mar 25, 2011
Pro tip: if you're thinking of going to see hangover 2, save yourself a few quid by watching the dvd if the first one and squinting. it's indistinguishable

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
mcnally86 said:
I have not seen the scene so take that as you may. Bob you seem to be equating accepting a transsexual as a person with finding out you have been raped by one. Yes if someone has sex with you and you are chemically impaired it is rape. I can be friends with transsexual I can be nice to them in the street, that said if I wake up with rectal bleeding and someone told me the hot lady I got drunk with last night wrecked my anus I'm going to freak out.
But this wasn't some sort of social thing that just happened, it was something the character had actually paid for if I remember correctly. I'd say that makes the situation a bit different, more like someone paying for a service while intoxicated and the person going along with it for the money. Of course, there's also no way of knowing if the group actually behaved like they were all that out of it either. From what it seemed like in the movie, and...
were under the effects of one, maybe two beers, some ADHD medication, and muscle relaxants.
I'm not sure if that combination would have you specifically acting like you were actually in an altered state of mind, as I've never seen anyone under that specific set of circumstances. But I think that's getting too much into the logistics of the situation.

That said, I'll be honest in saying that if I found myself in the same spot as the character, I would freak out as well. I think the movie handled itself badly in the fact that, instead of playing the transsexual to be a person, it never gave any more perspective then the group freaking out. It just seemed to be aimed as an insult towards transsexuals not in the joke itself per say, but the way it was handled in the film. Did it ruin the movie for me? No, but it didn't help it either.

One of the things that bothered me in the movie is just how much Alan seemed to change. He went from lovable man-child who doesn't seem to know any better to a complete ass who really didn't seem to care about anyone else's feelings other then his own. That really bothered me to be honest. It was much funnier when he made mistakes rather then purposefully screwing with people and messing everything up.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
MovieBob: Hair of the Dog

How The Hangover went wrong.

Read Full Article
The first movie challenges our notions of Vegas. The second revels in our notions of Bangkok. The first movie lets us watch the "Three Stooges" getting beat up for being the three stooges. The second movie asks us to sympathize with them.

It's a clear case of the writers not realizing what they had done right, and thus failing to repeat it.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Kapol said:
Ah see I was under the impression the movie was exactly the same. That seems to be Bob's mantra. That puts it in a slightly different context. Still the "joke" is in the surprise isn't it? I mean I have nothing against them if they are upfront but they are existentially hiding something major about themselves. A popular theme on Law & Order is that some people are gay but can't have sex unless on meth so they can blame it on the drugs. Maybe this is a similar thing? It was the drugs dude totally the drugs you know I'm not like that right?

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I'm going to have to agree with others here. Stu had every right to freak out given the situation. And I don't think the movie de-humanized the hooker as much as it simply didn't give her any character development. She was a side character, that's it.

monojono

Sep 3, 2009
Crimson_Dragoon said:
I'm going to have to agree with others here. Stu had every right to freak out given the situation. And I don't think the movie de-humanized the hooker as much as it simply didn't give her any character development. She was a side character, that's it.
mcnally86 said:
Bob did not say the reaction in the film was unrealitic, or that Stu shouldn't have reacted that way. He said it wasn't funny. I don't want to see a realistic depiction of events giving someone a nervous breakdown in a comedy film, and if Bob is right then there isn't anything funny about this scene other than 'gross, transexual!'. If thats the caliber of the jokes in the film, it isn't a good comedy film.

Kapol

May 2, 2010
mcnally86 said:
Kapol said:
Ah see I was under the impression the movie was exactly the same. That seems to be Bob's mantra. That puts it in a slightly different context. Still the "joke" is in the surprise isn't it? I mean I have nothing against them if they are upfront but they are existentially hiding something major about themselves. A popular theme on Law & Order is that some people are gay but can't have sex unless on meth so they can blame it on the drugs. Maybe this is a similar thing? It was the drugs dude totally the drugs you know I'm not like that right?
The joke was in the surprise, but I think the main thing against it was the surprise became the focus of the movie for too long, to the point where it became too much. I mean, under normal circumstances I think that freaking out like that would have been normal, but without giving both sides instead of just the perspective of those who were freaking out, it seemed more like a one-sided attack against transsexuals.

The transsexual in question was very upfront about what had happened, and even about being a transsexual. Of course, she seemed to think that he would have remembered, which is one of the reasons I thought that she didn't realize he had been in an altered state of mind. As for Stu, it's never really explained in full WHY he did it when he was drugged up. But after a while it's not really mentioned much other then in passing as a small joke near the end. Hope that clearings things up a bit more.

Kapol

May 2, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Kapol said:
One of the things that bothered me in the movie is just how much Alan seemed to change. He went from lovable man-child who doesn't seem to know any better to a complete ass who really didn't seem to care about anyone else's feelings other then his own. That really bothered me to be honest. It was much funnier when he made mistakes rather then purposefully screwing with people and messing everything up.
I noticed that as well, but I always figured it was due to the introduction of the little brother. They weren't too happy with Alan, especially Stu, after the events of the first movie. Alan might of secluded himself because of that, and when the gang finally invites him back, only to see the little brother, he feels like his spot in the "Wolfpack" is being replaced.

It's focusing more on that "man child" aspect he has. As a kid, if you and your friends hung out a lot and did things together plenty of times, and all of a sudden there's another kid who just joins up, one might get a little jealous of the new kid especially if the friends gravitate from you to him. Alan just has the added access of drugs, and the naivety to use them without thinking. He also tries to avoid getting yelled at, and thus lies to the other characters, just as he did in the first.

And throughout most of the second film, their attention wasn't focused on a 4th friend, but on that unknown, which he probably didn't like at all, hence why he started acting self-centered.
I do know where you're coming from. Being replaced did make him act even worse, but you could see the behavior even before the new character was shown. The first scene where he came into the movie dealt with him betraying the trust of his 'friends' then acting like there was nothing wrong with it, and then treating his mother like his personal servant. Yes, that also caters to the man-child aspect of the character, but it also makes him seem much more unlikeable in my opinion.

As well, I didn't see any of the group really gravitate towards... I can't remember his name, the bride's brother. They actually seemed to use him more often then not at first. I do agree that having the 'new friend' around would make him jealous. Another factor that likely made it even worse was the fact that the kid was supposed to be a genius. Alan, who always thought of himself as "special" (also shown by the sign on his door) likely didn't take too kindly to that. But it wasn't just his actions towards the bride's brother that gave me the impression that he'd turned into more of a spoiled brat character. That's not even getting into the rest of the movie either.

The first movie had him seem more like an innocent dufus that messed up, while the second movie made him seem more like a malicious child who hates not getting his way. That's the way I see it at least.

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
Yes, I get it, Bob. You don't like that scene about the transexual hooker.

Could you please move on to something else that's wrong with the film? Like how Ken Jeong can go crawl in a hole and never come out?

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Harmondale2 said:
I can't respect any film that dehumanizes a person just because their different. I have gay friends, lesbien friends and transexual friends and I see them persecuted enough on a day to day basis.
This.

Sylocat said:
This is a really well-reasoned point, entirely correct, and will clear a lot of things up.
Unless, of course, the people freaking out about your review are doing so because they are secretly homophobic themselves and don't want to admit it...
And this.

Well said. ^^

And Bob, if you're reading this - great review and great article. I'm really glad you decided to talk about this - it needed to be said, and you said it well. Thank you.

Crazy_Bird

Oct 21, 2009
Am I the only one remembering "ey dude where is my car"?
Because that is the same movie as the Hangover.

These movies have to be formulaic. It is always thee same thing and that's what people want to see.
Of course Hangover was the better one but that's it. The setting does not leave much more approaches open.

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
Straight white male outraged at the insensitivity of society toward minority groups expresses his outrage to show how he is different and compassionate; Film at 11