Live-Action Prey 2 Trailer Will Change Your Mind

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Live-Action Prey 2 Trailer Will Change Your Mind

The new live-action Prey 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Prey-2-Pc/dp/B004SG1JIO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307113870&sr=8-3] trailer has me very suddenly thinking that maybe this game isn't going to be a complete waste of time after all.

outed [http://www.amazon.com/Prey-Xbox-360/dp/B000C427NM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1307113870&sr=8-4] by a French gaming magazine. Good news! But it soon became apparent that Tommy and virtually everything else from the original game had been discarded and that Prey 2 would be a sequel in name only. A lot of folks, myself included, wondered out loud about the point of making a Prey sequel that didn't have any Prey in it, and that naturally shifted into a widely-held attitude of "they changed it, now it sucks."

Perhaps that was premature.

[video=3374]

This Prey 2 E3 trailer is hot. Yes, I know that E3 isn't until next week and yes, I know that this is a cinematic video and not indicative of gameplay, but given the unusual circumstances the first thing Human Head and Bethesda need to do is convince gamers that it's okay for Prey 2 to be a completely separate and different experience. In that, at least, I think it's fair to say, "mission accomplished." I'm suddenly looking forward to Prey 2 a lot more than I was yesterday.

Prey 2 is expected to come out in 2012 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Thanks to RagnorakTres [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/RagnorakTres] for the tip.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Don't know why, but I was smirking and giving little snickers throughout the entire video. I think the music, which was perfect in my opinion, was the culprit.

NekoDaimyo

My spoon, it is too large
Mar 21, 2009
As a friend if mine put it last night, they should just scrap the game, and expand this to a full length movie

Javarino

Mar 15, 2010
Wow. Just wow. That is probably the sexiest live action trailer I have ever seen. Kudos to Human Head, this game looks amazing(If those first person shots are anything to go by).

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I almost forgot how awesome Johnny Cash's version of Rusty Cage was. If this trailer did anything, it was remind me of that.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I read about this game in Edge. It's put my worries to rest. The game looks great, and I'm kind of happy that a sequel to a game doesn't just do what the first one did.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
So, it's essentially the Iron Man suit, piloted by Boba Fett? Can't see how that can get any better!

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
NekoDaimyo said:
As a friend if mine put it last night, they should just scrap the game, and expand this to a full length movie
Really a movie? Clearly this is a series. Probably would make a full season on fox before they canceled it sadly. But people would be talking about how awesome it was after they do.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Allow me to put my cynical hat on for a moment:

Does gameplay ever measure up to cinematics? Ever? At all?

Also, since this clearly has bugger-all to do with Prey 1, why not just make it a new IP? It's not like the name "Prey" is a big seller or anything.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Judging from the reason for the thing's bounty ("Anti-regime efforts", it says on the HUD), and the way he shoots those guys stuck in the bubble grenade, I'd say our hero's working for the bad guys at the start.

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
This trailer is pure sex. I am now going to be watching this game thoroughly throughout E3 and beyond. The music and the Marshall badge, everything is just awesome.

First they had a Native American protagonist and in my mind they now have a Cowboy as a protagonist. Prey's universe is the 'old west' in space and by that fact alone, I'm sold.

SirCannonFodder said:
Judging from the reason for the thing's bounty ("Anti-regime efforts", it says on the HUD), and the way he shoots those guys stuck in the bubble grenade, I'd say our hero's working for the bad guys at the start.
Just watched it a second time, stopping frames and I think the client is jut the Company/Person who put the bounty on the guy, because when Brute showed up (the giant guy at the end) it was a different Client, "Ceros Collective". Not saying you're wrong that the protagonist isn't working for the bad guys, just saying that he's not 'working' for one group in particular.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
mcnally86 said:
NekoDaimyo said:
Really a movie? Clearly this is a series. Probably would make a full season on fox before they canceled it sadly. But people would be talking about how awesome it was after they do.
They would just make it to the 14th episode, though, but they would manage to make a movie, but after that, the original cast would be so busy with other things that getting them together would be nigh impossible.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
chstens said:
mcnally86 said:
NekoDaimyo said:
They would just make it to the 14th episode, though, but they would manage to make a movie, but after that, the original cast would be so busy with other things that getting them together would be nigh impossible.
It could go another way though. They could put it in a terrible time slot and no one will know about it. That is until the poorly named syfy channel picks it up and plays the entire show which ends in a cliffhanger because they never filmed the last 2 episodes. This inspires lots of nerd rage on forums about how a show they never heard of was too good to be canceled at such a crucial point in the plot. Less Firefly more Threshold. Although now that I think about it I know 5 shows off the top of my head that fit the second scenario exactly.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The Cheezy One said:
So, it's essentially the Iron Man suit, piloted by Boba Fett? Can't see how that can get any better!
Not to mention the lack of moral code, meaning there's plenty of killing to be done. Yeap, not a better way to put it. Sure, it's cinematic, but if it's anything like this (chasing bounties through alien urban scapes) I can barely get any happier. Makes me think of this awesome Boba Fett game I played years ago on the GameCube.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
It ain't live action.

But god-damn is it sexy.

Just need to see the actual game and then I'll make proper judgement.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Space-Bounty-Hunter. Needs to be done more often.

Whilst I've been excited to see more for a while now, I really want to see some gameplay. Well, it's only a week until E3.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
This was live-action? I dunno about that, however if it is...

It has better visuals and action then most big budget summer action films. Definitely impressed by the trailer, still skeptical of the game, but now I am sat here wondering what the hell Hollywood has been doing all this time when a gaming company can make far better action sequences.