MI6 Replaces Al-Qaeda Bomb Formulas With Cupcake Recipes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
MI6 Replaces Al-Qaeda Bomb Formulas With Cupcake Recipes

Hackers working for the British Intelligence agency MI6 were able to disrupt Al-Qaeda operations by replacing bomb-making formulas in an "online magazine" with cupcake recipes from the Ellen Degeneres show.

Produced by radical preacher and leading Al-Qaeda figure Anwar al-Awlaki, the 67-page, color "online magazine" was "clearly intended for the aspiring jihadist in the U.S. or U.K. who may be the next Fort Hood murderer or Times Square bomber," according to former CIA analyst Bruce Reidel. But the recruitment effort hit a bit of a speed bump thanks to MI6 hackers who were able to make a few changes to the screed before it was released.

When potential followers attempted to download the magazine in order to check out articles like "Make a Bomb in the Kitchen of Your Mom," which was apparently actually part of the original content, they instead received "garbled computer code." Nothing too exotic or top-secret, though; it was, in fact, a web page of recipes for "The Best Cupcakes in America," taken from the Ellen Degeneres web site and inserted into the publication by British hackers. The hackers also removed articles written by Osama bin Laden, Ayman al-Zawahiri and a piece called "What to Expect in Jihad."

British and U.S. intelligence agencies learned of the planned publication last year and each had planned its own attack in response, but the CIA pulled the plug on the U.S. Cyber Command operation over concerns that it would "expose sources and methods and disrupt an important source of intelligence." MI6 had no such qualms and went ahead with its operation, which was successful, albeit only for a short while. Al-Qaeda was reportedly able to republish the magazine two weeks later and has put out four more editions since; British intelligence is continuing to carry out operations against sites carrying them.

Source: The Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/8553366/MI6-attacks-al-Qaeda-in-Operation-Cupcake.html]

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
...I wonder if anyone actually followed the recipe before figuring out that their cupcakes weren't about to blow up Times Square anytime soon.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Man, I could really go for some fucking cupcakes right now.

Brb, downloading terrorist manual.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
That's the British sense of humour for you.

This was not a triumph.
They won't be making a note here, on this success.
It is hard to state their satisfaction.
Al-Quaeda science, they don't make bombs, because they can't.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Bet Ellen never figured her work would be used to foil terrorism. Well, for a short time anyway.
Score one for MI6 being imaginative here.

Andsre

Dec 25, 2008
Cupcakes huh? Guess it won't be long before someone posts Pinkie Pie-related pics.
OT: This is awesome AND delicious!

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I love the American response. "Let's not do anything, otherwise the terrorists will know we can do things."
Then the British response. "Cupcakes."

Finally, some news to make me patriotic.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Funny but wouldn't it be a better tactic to replace them with something that produces a fast acting, debilitating gas? Then tell hospitals to keep an eye out for people who have been exposed. The best kind of trap is one that they walk right into by choice.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Oh that just made my day. Nice creative work there MI6, I love a good prank that screws with terrorism. :D

Wierdguy

Feb 16, 2011
This just in; Large explotions detected downtown! Reports are comming in that the explotions has caused an entire block to be covered in dough. Police comments saying that the one responcible was found standing in the centre of the blast smeared with dough from head to toe and with a shocked and dumbstruck expression on his face. Commenter sais this was a 'delicious' victory in the war against terrorism!

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
ninja'd by two people already...

OT: See this is what trolls should be doing, joining the secret service and combining their powers against the powers of evil! terrorism!

Apr 28, 2008
This is hilarious. And I think it's the best way to deal with these people. Take away any form of danger they have, and just make them look really, really silly.

After that, its kind of hard to take them seriously. Which is good. Instead of seeing them as a "dangerous terrorist force", people would see them as "those silly people, look at them. How funny!"

Would piss them off, but how would they fight that? Its the internet, this can be done anonymously. They'd wonder why nobody is taking them seriously, research why, and figure out they're the laughing stock of the world. If there's one thing that hurts the most among fighters, its not being taken seriously.

Just my opinion though. Not sure how well it would work, but its not like what we're doing now is having great effects.

And now I want cupcakes. Is this "terrorist training magazine" still up? I'd like those cupcake recipes.