United Nations Claims Internet Blackouts Violate Human Rights

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
United Nations Claims Internet Blackouts Violate Human Rights

The Internet isn't just important, it's a basic human right.

At least, that's the claim made by a new report issued by the United Nations' Human Rights Council [http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrcouncil/docs/17session/A.HRC.17.27_en.pdf]. Following the recent political demonstrations in Egypt, in which government forces struck back at tech-savvy protestors by severing the region's link to the Internet, the Council has decried such actions, characterizing Internet access as a "fundamental human right."

"The Special Rapporteur underscores the unique and transformative nature of the Internet not only to enable individuals to exercise their right to freedom of opinion and expression, but also a range of other human rights, and to promote the progress of society as a whole," the report summary states.

But why exactly is the Internet so important? In relatively simple terms, the UN report explains:

Very few if any developments in information technologies have had such a revolutionary effect as the creation of the Internet. Unlike any other medium of communication, such as radio, television and printed publications based on one-way transmission of information, the Internet represents a significant leap forward as an interactive medium. Indeed, with the advent of Web 2.0 services, or intermediary platforms that facilitate participatory information sharing and collaboration in the creation of content, individuals are no longer passive recipients, but also active publishers of information. Such platforms are particularly valuable in countries where there is no independent media, as they enable individuals to share critical views and to find objective information. Furthermore, producers of traditional media can also use the Internet to greatly expand their audiences at nominal cost. More generally, by enabling individuals to exchange information and ideas instantaneously and inexpensively across national borders, the Internet allows access to information and knowledge that was previously unattainable. This, in turn, contributes to the discovery of the truth and progress of society as a whole.

More specifically, the 22-page report cites the 'net's apparent use in "mobilizing the population to call for justice, equality, accountability and better respect for human rights."

"Facilitating access to the Internet for all individuals, with as little restriction to online content as possible, should be a priority for all States," the report concludes.

Of course, given the limited punitive powers of the United Nations, this report is at best a diplomatic tongue lashing for those political leaders willing to respond to protests by cutting ties to the 'net. It outlines no actual steps to be taken in the future against those who might seek to duplicate the actions taken by the Egyptian regime, nor does it urge UN member countries, or anyone else to actively prevent Internet outages.

Human rights violation though it might be, this particular report proves a relatively toothless defense against heartless totalitarian rulers who inexplicably hate Nyan Cat [http://nyan.cat/].

Source: The Atlantic [http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/06/united-nations-declares-internet-access-a-basic-human-right/239911/]
(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/acaben/2816139/])

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Seems stupid at first, but when you think about it they've got a point.

Many "freedoms" involve, for instance, right of assembly, right of expression, right of free press etc- the internet is important as any of these things.

Feb 13, 2008

Really?

I don't even know how to react to that. Education, Health, Food, Clean Water, Shelter - sure.

But electronic communication? That's pushing it a little far.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
As a student of Human Rights, and one who is actually researching the European Convention and Human Rights Act right NOW, I can say that this claim is pretty much bull.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Really?

I don't even know how to react to that. Education, Health, Food, Clean Water, Shelter - sure.

But electronic communication? That's pushing it a little far.
Maybe twenty years ago, but today? The Internet is morphing into an ubiquitous tool of communication where al human information is being stored into. Think about what it is now and what it may well be in a hundred years and tell me you are not for it.

Context is important.

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
so if this cutting of the net is a violation of human rights how about what china does to the internet or what our government(usa) is considering, cutting of accsess to sites the government doesn't like. or in usa's case cutting off acsess to sites that the entertainment company's dont like.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Really?

Apart from Education, those aren't human rights, they're basic needs. Difference there.

But electronic communication? That's pushing it a little far.[/quote]

Look away from the "electronic" part. That's just the implementation. If the internet would work via chemical transmitters somehow, the point wouldn't change.
It's all about the communication. And, as is accepted by most nations worldwide, the right to communication is a basic human right.

ZombieGenesis said:
As a student of Human Rights, and one who is actually researching the European Convention and Human Rights Act right NOW, I can say that this claim is pretty much bull.
And to support that claim, you present us what evidence?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Alright now what can the U.N. do about it? The U.N. has proven itself capable of complaining about things but not capable of doing anything about it.

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
... Wow.

While I can certainly see why the UN would want to declare the cutting off of communication to an area to quell uprisings which are demanding access to other basic human rights, how they said it could have some very long reaching consequences.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Ummm... Since not all of the other Human rights are perfect around the world, let's keep the internet on the down low for a short while, okay? I mean, China violates what it can get away with, with the Legal system being strange and how living conditions can be pretty poor, and India's courts are so overcrowded and back logged. Let's not get started when it comes to wages in these countries.

So, yeah, the internet has given us freedom and might technically be a violation of our rights when down, but how about we have rights enforced a bit more in other places instead, okay?

I mean, I bet there are some houses in Britain without running water.

Calumon: Maybe they don't want to have to keep catching it?

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
ZombieGenesis said:
You might study harder then. Since 2000 it's a fundamental right in Estonia, it's also considered as a legal right in Greece, France and Spain, Finland event went so far that they declared 1Mbit broadband access a legal right.
According to survey from 2009 by BBC 50% out of over 27k people from different countries asked strongly agrees and nearly 30% somewhat agrees with the statement that internet access should be a fundamental right.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
No, like every other non-essential, the Internet is a luxury service.
It's an incredibly powerful service, and essential for most business, but still a luxury.

I'm straining to think of a single action taken by the UN in recent memory that did ANYTHING useful...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I dont see how internet is human "right" when you have to pay for it, like, directly. And when your coutrny might not even have it (looking at the poorer parts of china and some of the African Countries).

Besides, its not like you NEED the internet to live, there's still TV, Radio, the snail mail, newspapers, etc. Lets devote a bit more time to the REAL rghts, and tradegies int he word, since this mostly applies to the well off nations that the UN doesnt really need to go sticking its nose into

TheGuiggleMonster

Feb 11, 2011
deth2munkies said:
Sweet, now gimme free internet and I'll be good.
emeraldrafael said:
I dont see how internet is human "right" when you have to pay for it, like, directly. And when your coutrny might not even have it (looking at the poorer parts of china and some of the African Countries).

Besides, its not like you NEED the internet to live, there's still TV, Radio, the snail mail, newspapers, etc. Lets devote a bit more time to the REAL rghts, and tradegies int he word, since this mostly applies to the well off nations that the UN doesnt really need to go sticking its nose into
That's not how it works. Freedom of speech doesn't mean being given a tongue or taught a language. Water is a basic human right. If someone is stupid enough to go into the desert without any water, it is not the responsibility of the state to find them and give them water. Violating human rights is when you get rid of a right which already exists.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Well it's about bloody time as far as I'm concerned.

I mean, in this day and age some people are even supposedly ADDICTED to the internet, insofar as forgetting how they ever communicated, or indeed did anything, without the possibility of help being but seconds away.

Some people... heh.