LulzSec Nabs Source Code for Sony Dev Site

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
LulzSec Nabs Source Code for Sony Dev Site

Man, Sony is just not looking good when it comes to repelling hacker attacks by LulzSec, is it?

It turns out this weekend wasn't a total bust for hacker group LulzSec. Even though its attack on Nintendo <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110667-Nintendo-Admits-It-Was-Hacked-but-Says-Users-Are-Safe>failed to snag any of the company's user data, it turns out that they were able to snag the source code for the exclusive Sony Computer Entertainment Developer Network.

LulzSec announced the grab <a href=http://twitter.com/#!/LulzSec/status/77736347154128897>via Twitter. At first glance, this doesn't seem like that big a deal (other than the fact that, y'know, Sony was the victim of another embarrassing hack), but it should be noted that this is the code of a website that can only be visited by registered Sony developers. If LulzSec was able to get this info from the site, it's likely they had access to other proprietary information that's normally off-limits to the general public.

This is the second time in less than a week that LulzSec has <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110608-Sony-Website-Hacked-By-the-Lulz-Boat>managed to make Sony look bad. While I certainly don't agree with the hacker group's tactics, maybe Sony should think about upgrading its database security across the board ...

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-06-lulzsec-publishes-psn-dev-source-code>Eurogamer

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Man, do these guys really want the feds to give them attention?

EDIT: I recognize that sometimes hackers and whistle-blowers can be instrumental in weeding out corporate and government corruption, but here, I don't see much sense in what they're doing. Governments take this kinda stuff seriously.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
This is just sad now, Sony a multi billion corporation is being bent over by a small group all for the sake of lolz

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Are you kidding me? Just stop it already, he's already dead!

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Although I understand that they're pointing out integral flaws within Sony's defence against hackers.

But on the other hand, constantly hacking Sony is really a douche-move. Hell, I would like to see the effects all this has on their profits this/next year. I mean seriously, give it a break, it's just annoying now.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
Although I have pity for Sony customers, I have absolutely NONE for Sony. Seriuosly, it's been MONTHS now that they've been under attack and they STILL can't get their security up and running?

I know I won't be spending any money on Sony products until they can prove that they can handle their own security. Who knows when they will be.

The Diabolical Biz said:
But on the other hand, constantly hacking Sony is really a douche-move. Hell, I would like to see the effects all this has on their profits this/next year. I mean seriously, give it a break, it's just annoying now.
You do realize they are trying to bring down Sony right? They might be doing it for the lulz but they are also doing it with a purpose. They WANT Sony's profits to crumble, they WANT for people to feel unsafe using Sony products.

noogai18

Feb 21, 2008
See, one attack that shows how easy it is to break in and point out security flaws, that's at least a little understandable. But multiple attacks, which seem like they're just "for the lulz" is an entitled "we can, so we will" mentality. I hope they either knock it off or get found by the Feds.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
I wonder what it's like to be a Japanese CEO and have your company lose face this badly, consistently, and publicly for this long.

Or maybe that isn't entering into it. One would think they'd have done something effective about it by now if they really considered it a problem. Considering the time of year, a person living in Seattle might be able to say "Sony got hacked today." more frequently than "It rained today." over these last few weeks. I'm not even sure it's news anymore.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
vansau said:
It turns out this weekend wasn't a total bust for hacker group Lulzsec. Even though its attack on Nintendo <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110667-Nintendo-Admits-It-Was-Hacked-but-Says-Users-Are-Safe>failed to snag any of the company's user data, it turns out that they were able to snag the source code for the exclusive Sony Computer Entertainment Developer Network.
Considering that LulzSec wasn't even trying to get to Nintendo's user data, I'm not sure it counts as a failure. They did grab the server config files from Nintendo as well, which was the point, or so I've been told.

That said, Sony really needs to get their act together. Yea, it's terrible that they keep getting targeted, but seeing as LulzSec makes a point of announcing what they are going to do ahead of time, Sony really needs to get its act together. Security is a hard thing to do, but when they announce their targets ahead of time, it's not that complicated.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
I wouldn't say they failed to snag user data from Nintendo, more that they didn't feel like doing it because they liked them to much.

As a fun fact; this is the 16th time Sony has been hacked since operation sownage started.

EDIT: What are sony´s stocks on now? was around 28 last time I checked.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
kebab4you said:
I wouldn't say they failed to snag user data from Nintendo, more that they didn't feel like doing it because they liked them to much.

As a fun fact; this is the 16th time Sony has been hacked since operation sownage started.
Srsly? Damn.

I knew it was high, but I thought it was still in the single-digit range.

You'd think at some point Sony would just admit that their security sucks and do something about it. I guess sanity is too much to ask for.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Unfortunately, this is going to turn out to be bad for Sony no matter what goes on after this.

The string of events that has lead to this makes me wonder if Sony were to bring back OtherOS could it stem this hacking tide that continues against them? Even if they did, would it be pointless at this juncture?

Though, Lulzsec is doing something far more damaging than just information stealing and network tampering: they are indirectly and inevitably hurting Sony's bottom line through negative PR. At first glance, the string of continued attacks can result in some sympathy for Sony, but even that only goes so far. When you prove unable to defend yourself and your shareholders from technological intrusions over and over again, it whittles confidence of the people that have invested in Sony to invest further in it.

I doubt any of these attacks, and ones in the future, will directly impact Sony, but you gotta wonder just how much more can these guys take without doing something to address this issue publicly?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Yeah, I dunno what more than can do outside of the hiring of the 3 security firms they did. I guess you guys want the CEOs and every single employee to work on getting the security going? Yeah, that totally makes sense.

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
Don't these social-failures realize the more they hack Sony the less of an impact their exploits make and the more they make themselves look like petty, cyber-douches? I don't think anyone is really dropping their jaws at this stuff anymore.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
You would think that with Anon backing down that would mean, "we got our point across. Sony isn't being a douche anymore and they're beefing up their security, I'm ok with this!" But these guys walk in and say, "h377 nah! wez gonna go an rap sony in or supa 1337 quest! LOLOLOLOLOLO!!11111!!!"

Anon I can sort of agree with now, these guys seem like 12 year olds wanting attention...

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
If they were hacked by Chinese Army super-hackers this would be somewhat tolerable.

BUT LULZSEC?!?!

It's like getting your bank robbed by the Jackass Crew, come on. Hold your shit together for E3 week at least.