E3: Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
E3: Uncharted 3 Multiplayer

The multiplayer only gets better in Uncharted 3.

Sony brought a multiplayer demo of Uncharted 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-3-Drakes-Deception-Playstation/dp/B004EQCCI4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307424106&sr=8-2], and from my short playtime, it only gets better and deeper in the franchise's third entry.

What I noticed right away is that everyone in multiplayer looks different. Instead of just choosing different characters to play as, which varied from Nathan Drake to a glowing skeleton in Uncharted 2, you'll now be able to customize those avatars to your liking with all sorts of clothing and item variations. My version of Victor "Sully" Sullivan had on a green polo and a white bowler hat. Though I encountered multiple Nathan Drakes as my opponents, each looked different. It'll probably lead to a lot of DLC, but hopefully some of it will be free.

I played deathmatch in a jungle environment with a ruined stone building. It was nicely designed compared to the levels found in Uncharted 2, featuring tons of climbing spots, different platforms on multiple levels, lots of cover, and unique environmental features such as a turret (which left you very vulnerable, so don't hang out there). The weapon selection felt well balanced, putting explosive weapons out in the open and keeping the sniper rifle hidden in a dark room. You'll still constantly change weapons as ammo runs out or you kill an enemy with a better gun.

The other major thing I noticed was the increased number of awards I got for just about every kill. Naughty Dog appears to have added cash awards/medals for even more specific situations, like headshots or coming extremely close to death and finishing off an enemy. This ties in to turn you into a swarm of bugs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110518-Naughty-Dog-Blows-Out-Details-On-Uncharted-3-Multiplayer-Beta]. It also just feels good to be awarded everytime you kill someone in a different way.

I got a small taste of the new features in Uncharted 3 when a power play kicked in. Power plays are basically events that occur during multiplayer matches, providing certain conditions and bonuses for those that fulfill them. The power play in my game was "marked man," which marked an enemy and made our team go after him and the opposing team protect him. The opposing team didn't do so well, and he fell to my burning hot lead (thanks sniper rifle). These power plays are definitely a great addition to the already hectic Uncharted multiplayer game.

I know multiplayer is most popular in titles like Call of Duty and Battlefield, but Uncharted has a unique niche that shouldn't be ignored. The Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta begins for PlayStation Plus subscribers on June 28, which is everyone that had a PSN account previous to April 20 due to Sony's Welcome Back [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110635-Sonys-Free-Welcome-Back-Game-Downloads-Go-Live] program. For everyone else it starts on July 5, and ends on July 13 for all participants. Check it out.

Uncharted 3 will be released on November 1, 2011

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011]

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Considering that the multiplayer in Uncharted 2 was downright bad, there really wasn't anything that it could do in Uncharted 3 but get better. Hopefully this time they have mastered the very basic art of proper matchmaking. I should not be buying the game, popping it in my system for the first time, and having my newbie ass paired up against players ranked at level 30. I could go into a rant about how little fun I had once I finally got in a fair fight, but I would rather go to bed than talk about a game mode I didn't enjoy at all right now.

Not getting in the beta though. I don't like MP betas that much, and I don't want their free PS+. They do not owe me free PS+, so I am not taking it.

To everyone who does participate though, I hope you enjoy.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Considering that the multiplayer in Uncharted 2 was downright bad, there really wasn't anything that it could do in Uncharted 3 but get better. Hopefully this time they have mastered the very basic art of proper matchmaking. I should not be buying the game, popping it in my system for the first time, and having my newbie ass paired up against players ranked at level 30. I could go into a rant about how little fun I had once I finally got in a fair fight, but I would rather go to bed than talk about a game mode I didn't enjoy at all right now.

Not getting in the beta though. I don't like MP betas that much, and I don't want their free PS+. They do not owe me free PS+, so I am not taking it.

To everyone who does participate though, I hope you enjoy.
I thought it was quite good, maps were nice, vertical game play to the standard shooting really changed this up. :)

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I've just gotten into the U2 multiplayer and have found that if you have friends to play with, it's quite fun.

I'm not going to be dropping into any random matches or anything, but if they include more modes for co-op play, that will be fantastic.