309: Mega Man X Marks the Spot

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Mega Man X Marks the Spot

The Mega Man X series provides a wonderful example of a franchise that successfully grew with its audience and took its fans to heart.

Read Full Article

Delta2501

Mar 31, 2010
This sounds awful but I have to point out that X wasn't the first reploid. He is the original, the ones based on him are reploids. Now I feel bad.

I enjoyed the SNES X games, but the tighter controls in the Zero series were great for me. I also think it is a shame ZX hasn't seen more love as they are both great instalments.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
I only ever played the first Mega Man X (which I still own), and loved it. I wouldn't mind playing more of them later, as I know next to nothing about the story (and I'm a sucker for high-quality stories in 2D platformers).

However, a lingering annoyance for me, falling into the category of "wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then", is the character of Zero. I always knew something didn't sit right with me about the character in the first X game, and it was only a lot later that I found out he was supposed to be female, but was (allegedly) changed out of fear of non-acceptance of the character/game. And that makes me sad.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
i love the megaman x series but i want the story to come to a solid conclusion and i want Megaman Zero and the megaman X titles link up and how Zero became locked away and x became an astral version of himself.

Ytmh

Aug 29, 2009
I had one of those typical "maverick hunter" websites back in 1997.

Those were the good'ol days, indeed!

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I adored Megaman II as my favourite game in that series, but Megaman X managed to maintain as a title I loved about equally as much.

And call me a sucker, but the ending sequence where X laments being forced to fight and having to destroy his fellow reploids strikes me as so sad.

I did play all the other X-titles, ALL of them (aside from the PS2 only title, X8), but none of them ever struck a chord so well with me as the first X.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I couldn't agree more with this article. Megaman X is a spectacular series and need to continue, or at least conclude (again) in a new game. (and wtf making X only a cameo in MvC3?)

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
Very well said. I miss the X series. I'm hoping for a Megaman X9 that goes off on a different timeline that doesn't lead to the Zero series.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
So wait, X8 was good? Damn. X7 was enough to make me quit on the series. I had a feeling it was going to be bad when I started it up and was treated to an exact copy of the first level of X1 (only played with Zero instead of X) and it never got better. Now I'm sad that I didn't keep with it.
Although, I did appreciate them giving us the option to listen to the original Japanese language track, because the English actors were god-awful.

cymonsgames

Dec 17, 2010
This is funny. I just started playing Megaman X with my kids, as I realized that I had failed on introducing them to that particular game series. They knew Mario and even Crash, but not Megaman.

Crono Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
Mega Man X is one of the most schizophrenic game series in existence. X1, X4, and Xtreme 2 are amazing. X5 and X8 are really good. X2, Command Mission, and Xtreme are meh. And X3, X7, and ESPECIALLY X6 suuuuuuuuck. The Zero series may not ever be as good as X1, but at least it's consistently high quality and doesn't jump around everywhere.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Awesome games, I played all the ones on the Playstation 1 and loved them to bits. Thumbs up if you chose Zero first!

Alufear

May 1, 2009
As I speak, Mega Man Zero 1, 2, 3, and 4 each rest peacefully in shiny metal DS cases on their own, separate game shelf.:)

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Delta2501 said:
This sounds awful but I have to point out that X wasn't the first reploid. He is the original, the ones based on him are reploids. Now I feel bad.

I enjoyed the SNES X games, but the tighter controls in the Zero series were great for me. I also think it is a shame ZX hasn't seen more love as they are both great instalments.
Yeah who didn't know that X wasn't a Reploid?

He was just the basic blue prints that Dr. Cain needed to mass produce them.

X and Zero are still the greatest robots created by Wily and Dr. Light

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Alufear said:
As I speak, Mega Man Zero 1, 2, 3, and 4 each rest peacefully in shiny metal DS cases on their own, separate game shelf.:)
Not to sound like a troll but that's where those cash cows need to stay after turning Zero into a 12 year old genderly ambiguous anorexic kid.

Honestly WTF part of him looked robotic!?!

Secondly I've said it once I'll say it again Inafune should have stuck with his gut and ended it at X5 and let Zero die like a freaking hero.

DAMN YOU CAPCOM!!

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Tonimata said:
Awesome games, I played all the ones on the Playstation 1 and loved them to bits. Thumbs up if you chose Zero first!
Who didn't choose Zero first!? Zero be beastin'!

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Carlos Alexandre said:
Very well said. I miss the X series. I'm hoping for a Megaman X9 that goes off on a different timeline that doesn't lead to the Zero series.
you sir have just raised my hopes to an all time high! I especially want them to expand more on Axl considering his ending in X8 left everyone on such a huge cliff hanger

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
twaddle said:
i love the megaman x series but i want the story to come to a solid conclusion and i want Megaman Zero and the megaman X titles link up and how Zero became locked away and x became an astral version of himself.
Hell before that I want a goddamn game that Bridges the huge gap between Megaman and Megaman X

WTF Happened all those years!?

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
2xDouble said:
I couldn't agree more with this article. Megaman X is a spectacular series and need to continue, or at least conclude (again) in a new game. (and wtf making X only a cameo in MvC3?)
Wait what!? Megaman X made a Cameo in MvC3?

Where was that? I mean I swore I beat everyone's ending but saw no sign of him in anyone's endings.

Please explain

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
So wait, X8 was good? Damn. X7 was enough to make me quit on the series. I had a feeling it was going to be bad when I started it up and was treated to an exact copy of the first level of X1 (only played with Zero instead of X) and it never got better. Now I'm sad that I didn't keep with it.
Although, I did appreciate them giving us the option to listen to the original Japanese language track, because the English actors were god-awful.
Yeah amazingly Megaman X8 found some competent English voice actors and re-vamped the gameplay