E3: Sony Gives NGP a Real Name and a Price

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
E3: Sony Gives NGP a Real Name and a Price

We now know the NGP's true name. Sadly, this does not allow us to bind it to our will.

As part of its E3 press conference [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110713-E3-Sony-Press-Conference-Liveblog], Sony has dropped a veritable ton of details about its successor to the PSP, including answers to the all-important questions of how much it's going to cost, and what the device is actually called.

Sony has dropped the "Next Generation Portable" codename, and confirmed the rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110473-Rumor-Sony-Unveiling-NGP-as-PS-Vita] that the official name for the device is the PS Vita. The Vita will cost $250 for the Wi-Fi only version, and $300 for the 3G enabled version, and according to Sony, the price in Europe will be the same amount in Euros. The UK price is yet to be revealed, but around the £230 mark for the Wi-Fi only - the same SRP as the Nintendo 3DS - seems likely. Sony also announced that it has partnered with AT&T to provide 3G coverage in the US, and will undoubtedly announce similar deals in other territories soon.

Considering the amount of technology in the Vita, which includes front and back touch screens, motion controls and dual analogue sticks, the price is surprisingly low. This could mean that Sony is making a loss on each unit sold - although SCE Europe boss Andrew House indicated [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107334-Sony-Claims-NGP-Will-Be-Affordable] back in January that Sony wanted to make a profit on the device - or it could mean that the rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110438-Rumor-Sony-Downgrading-NGP-Tech-to-Compete-with-3DS-Pricing] that Sony had cut down the Vita's capabilities to make it more affordable are true.

The PS Vita is scheduled for release at the end of the year.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011]

ratman995

Nov 30, 2009
yeah UK being screwed on price again, woop e do dar day. I love those few things that are cheaper in the land of Tea

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Terrible name. Likely to fail hard thanks to improving cell phones, tablets, ipods with gaming abilities, and massive competition from Nintendo.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Wow... that's an awful name. Though it fits with Sony's existing line of gibberish V-words.

It just makes me think of a certain brand of margarine...

CpnChaos

Sep 20, 2010
NGP = Nintendo Got Pwned!

I will need some hands on time before I consider a purchase, but it looks great from where I'm sitting. Sony seemed to learn their lesson from the PS3, let's hope this does great things for them!

NicoDK

Sep 21, 2009
300 euros? yeah, i'll pass. The 3g network in Denmark is fucking awful and i'm happy with the DSI i just bought anyways.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
ratman995 said:
yeah UK being screwed on price again, woop e do dar day. I love those few things that are cheaper in the land of Tea
At the current rate, it would cost £151.85 so yeah, we are being screwed over, quite badly at that as well. Thank heavens I'm not fussed about the Vita

2ndblackjedi

Sep 12, 2008
My first thought was that PS:Vita sounds like a weird name, but then I thought, so did Wii and we're all used to that now.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
ratman995 said:
It's almost as if Sony doesn't know what currency exchange is.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
Sony clearly issued Nintendo a challenge with this. I'm far more excited for this than the 3DS and I hope it does well.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Let me repost and paraphrase something I said in a similar thread.

1: Even if the Vita beats the 3DS (which with each announcement is becoming less and less likely), it's not going to beat Nintendo. DS Lites, DSis and just plain regular DSs are still selling very well.

2: Once the 3DS gets it's main games out (and one the internet collectively realizes YOU CAN SHUT OFF THE 3D! God, that complaint annoys me...), the biggest complaint for the 3DS will be moot. Vita is getting new complaint-worthy things with each announcement (exclusive to AT&T, price, no 4G version, ect.)

And some other arguments:
3: If they want to get the 3G version, they'll likely have to keep paying AT&T for the 3G, and that version is even more expensive than the 3DS.

4: Superior hardware was the main selling point of the PSP. AND the PS3. Superior hardware is has not been serving Sony well...

5: By the end of the year, a lot of the major first party titles, along with a lot of third party titles will come out for the 3DS. So unless the Vita has the greatest launch line-up in the history of the industry, it's at a disadvantage right out the gate. Not so much a knock on the system (After all, the 3DS had a TERRIBLE launch line-up), but it might hurt initial sales.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Considering the amount of technology in the Vita, which includes front and back touch screens ...
Wait, why on earth could you need a screen on the back of your console?! I mean, touch PAD perhaps, but a full-blown screen? Huh...

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Wicky_42 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Considering the amount of technology in the Vita, which includes front and back touch screens ...
Wait, why on earth could you need a screen on the back of your console?! I mean, touch PAD perhaps, but a full-blown screen? Huh...
Ah, sorry, that could be more clear. It's a touch screen on the front and a touch pad on the back.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I said on this very site that I'd eat my words if this thing was under $300, so if you'll excuse me, I need to grab a fork and knife.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
ratman995 said:
I have several people to blame:
-politicians setting ridiculous taxes and import duties
-excessive regulations and government enforced guarantees
-so many god damn middle men wanting to take their cut

I'm going to try to import this one if region free games, I'd only have to fork out £156 plus import duty. Wait, just looked at HM customs website:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm#3

"The Import VAT percentage rate (20%) is applied to the total value of the goods... in the case of goods posted from outside the EU, it is the amount on the Customs Declaration, which includes the price paid for the goods, the cost of transport, postage and packing, insurance and any duty that may be payable."

FFFFUUUUUUU!

($250 + $50 postage) x 1.20 => pounds sterling => £225

FCUUUUUUCKKK!

I might as well just buy local, those cheeky HM custom bastards, charging duty even on the cost of shipping and insurance.

Hmm, maybe that's why it costs more in the UK, they nab them with import duties also on transportation costs.

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
Wow, that's much cheaper than expected. If they release some decent titles (hopefully PS2 classics as well) then I'll have to replace my PSP slim :3

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
I like that it means life in Italian and white (in plural) in Swedish.
Wish it was white?or the source of life.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Wicky_42 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Ah, sorry, that could be more clear. It's a touch screen on the front and a touch pad on the back.
Hah, ok cool. Was wondering if there was some sort of bizarre two player action going on ;)