E3: Nintendo Press Conference

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
E3: Nintendo Press Conference

Nintendo announces an ambitious new console and the return of several beloved franchises.

Read Full Article

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
This was an interesting conference, though a bit low on the actual content I felt. This whole E3 has just become extremely depressing when I realized that there has only been one new IP announced out of all of these games (that new Insomniac game whose name escapes me at the moment). Almost every single game is either a reboot of a franchise, a sequel, or a spinoff.

Regardless, this conference was interesting, but it didn't really have stuff, you know? It was a pretty slow burn. It was a low on any actual demonstrations, and I would have loved to see the actual console and an actual demonstration of the new WiiU thingamajigger rather then them just going on about "connecting" and "you" and whatnot. They only announced, like, one new game which was Luigi's Mansion 2, everything else was already announced before hand.

Still, it should be interesting to see how the new controller/console thing will work out. I doubt I'll get it, Nintendo consoles have never really struck a chord with me, but I think it's interesting how they're integrating both types of controllers at once. We'll just have to wait and see.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Free Four Swords makes me happy. Although I probably won't be as much, because it's probably not going to have online play being a free DSiWare title. Still will be fun to play again if I find others who have it, though.

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
I'll be really interested to see the price point on the Wii U, and the 'controllers.' Full HD Nintendo console has me excited, though.

Overall this E3 has been kind of disappointing to me personally. Low on content, long on ads. Details details details please. And tell me how you're going to lower the cost of entry into gaming, not re-up it with new consoles and expensive gaming packages.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
They should have named it the Wii Carpal-Tunnel. I can't imagine the kind of hand cramps and discomfort holding a controller like that is going to cause.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
In the hand the controller feels light, and it feels comfortable. It's most similar to the old GameCube controller, really, but much wider and with more buttons.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/nintendo-wii-u-controller-first-hands-on/

Hmm, interesting.

Trafs

Oct 14, 2009
Which orchestra is it? Or was it specifically put together for the recording of the game sound-track?

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
While the announcement of another Luigi's Mansion excites me, I'm disappointed that there's no mention of a new Pikmin game.

I guess Nintendo doesn't want my money after all...

PipPup

Apr 22, 2011
I'm just wondering who was begging for a Luigi's Mansion 2. I didn't hear that much about after it came out and I have only spoken to one person that liked it. Am I missing something?

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
One particular skill in my repertoire of gaming, and certainly amongst others who play games often, is that we've gotten to the point where we instinctively know where the buttons on our controllers are. What this means is that we don't have keep looking down at our controller to check which button we're about to push, and as anyone who's played Wipeout knows, taking your eyes off the screen for even a fraction of a second could mean the difference between first place and, say, eighth.

I'm really interested in seeing how this touchscreen is going be incorporated into the actual games, especially regarding the information the player has to keep checking it for. Still, sounds pretty cool.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
So, the Wii U controller is essentially just a dumb terminal for the console.

Added together, the entire console is just a big DS.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
Cannot wait for OoT next week. Also Starfox will be awesome and even further down the line Skyward Sword. Not sure what I think of the Wii U yet but will have to see how it plays out.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
Wait, so will the Wii U also use the TV, or will it display only on the controllers?
Anyways, if it's only to the controllers, I might go Xbox next time.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
omega_peaches said:
Wait, so will the Wii U also use the TV, or will it display only on the controllers?
The console is attached to your TV and the video can be transferred to the controller if necessary.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
Ne1butme said:
omega_peaches said:
The console is attached to your TV and the video can be transferred to the controller if necessary.
Okay, good, because I play home consoles to view it on a nice tv, among other things.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Any word on whether multiple controllers can be used on the console? never saw that in the video. going to take a lot of bandwidth to stream HD graphics over to a controller and the console might not have enough juice to handle multiples.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Will Skyward Sword come with Wii motion plus? I don't want to have to go buy Wii Sports Resort to play it.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
It definitely won E3 with new hardware, 3rd party support and new SSB. The orchestra was pretty fun as well. Would have liked some more new 1st party games, price and such, but still a great conference. I want more SSB!!