Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Commentary on ?The Pointy End?

?Boy fiction? my ass.

Read Full Article

ALPHATT

Aug 15, 2009
i haven't read the article, just came in to say that game of thrones rock, HBO original series for the win

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
As angry and hurt as I was on the murder of Rob and Eddard Stark (also Catelyn Stark?), I can still fell the satisfaction I felt at Joffrey's and Tywin's death. Karma is a *****, ain't it?

Also, I don't think I'm going to watch what happens in the Twin's, it's just too heartbreaking

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
One thing that bugs me about this episode and the previous one is that the plot element where Sansa betrays her father to Cersei is completely left out. Now, it's been a while since I read the books, but I distinctly recall Sansa running to Cersei and telling her of Ned's plans, which gives Cersei the chance to prepare for the confrontation with Ned and turn the tables on him. Sansa commits this betrayal to stop her father from sending her away from King's Landing and Joffrey and is a major event that shapes Sansa as a character (being to blame for the death of your friends and family tends to do that to a person).

In the show, this is completely skipped. When it wasn't shown in the previous episode I just assumed it'll be brought to light this week, but no such luck.

I don't mind that some minor story arcs get left out of the show for the sake of brevity (like Jon Snow getting Samwell assigned to the Stewards), but this was a fairly significant plot point and is the first deviation from the book that really bothered me. And if they had time for a 5 minute lesbian scene, they sure as hell could have put in a short scene where Sansa runs to Cersei and spills the beans!

LordOfTheDance

Mar 30, 2009
This episode was written by GRRM? No wonder the characters resonated better then they have in other episodes. This is by far my favorite episode so far.

nagi

Mar 20, 2009
Fronzel said:
What, you're surprised a mainstream news source turned in a shallow and uninformed opinion of something other than mainstream culture?
I'd be surprised if she actually watched them from beginning to end.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Jandau said:
One thing that bugs me about this episode and the previous one is that the plot element where Sansa betrays her father to Cersei is completely left out. Now, it's been a while since I read the books, but I distinctly recall Sansa running to Cersei and telling her of Ned's plans, which gives Cersei the chance to prepare for the confrontation with Ned and turn the tables on him. Sansa commits this betrayal to stop her father from sending her away from King's Landing and Joffrey and is a major event that shapes Sansa as a character (being to blame for the death of your friends and family tends to do that to a person).

In the show, this is completely skipped. When it wasn't shown in the previous episode I just assumed it'll be brought to light this week, but no such luck.

I don't mind that some minor story arcs get left out of the show for the sake of brevity (like Jon Snow getting Samwell assigned to the Stewards), but this was a fairly significant plot point and is the first deviation from the book that really bothered me. And if they had time for a 5 minute lesbian scene, they sure as hell could have put in a short scene where Sansa runs to Cersei and spills the beans!
Good point, I assumed they were going to shoehorn the betrayal into the coming scenes, but the show is rapidly running out of time.

Greg

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Greg Tito said:
Jandau said:

Good point, I assumed they were going to shoehorn the betrayal into the coming scenes, but the show is rapidly running out of time.

Greg
But the lesbian scene was needed to give deeper meaning to Littlefinger's chaarcter. Just rewatch the scene, there are two hot chicks going at it and he's supremely uninterested, and instead only shows us how thoroughly self absorbed in himself he really is. I'm only halfway through the second book, but Littlefinger is starting to come across as one of the most cunning bastards at King's Landing.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I liked Septa Mordane's scene as well - when it showed the guards advancing on her, I was expecting her to say something really inappropriately courteous, like "Good afternoon, sers." or something. After all, a lady's courtesy is her armor ;)

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
One thing I'm alittle confused about. As I understand it the religion of the new gods (the 7) has priests to administer to the congregations known as Septons, which would be comparable to priests in the Catholic church.

Septa Mordane would be comperable to a Nun in the Catholic church yes? She's even wearing something close to a nuns habit and wimple.

So the Lanisters are ok with killing a Nun?

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
sleeky01 said:
One thing I'm alittle confused about. As I understand it the religion of the new gods (the 7) has priests to administer to the congregations known as Septons, which would be comparable to priests in the Catholic church.

Septa Mordane would be comperable to a Nun in the Catholic church yes? She's even wearing something close to a nuns habit and wimple.

The Lannisters are okay with killing members of a household. She isn't exactly like a Nun as she is the Stark's Septa (so more like a household spiritual advisor) in the same way a lot of the houses have their own Maester.

Besides the Lannisters aren't the most pious of the great familys.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
ElectroJosh said:
sleeky01 said:

The Lannisters are okay with killing members of a household. She isn't exactly like a Nun as she is the Stark's Septa (so more like a household spiritual advisor) in the same way a lot of the houses have their own Maester.

Doesn't seem to be how HBO sees it.

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#!/guide/houses/stark/septa-mordane/gods-old-and-new/

The relevant text:

A priestess of the Faith of the Seven, she serves as governess of the Stark daughters with the aim of teaching them how to be ladies. She has an easier time with Sansa than Arya.

So she is an actual Priestess.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
sleeky01 said:
ElectroJosh said:
sleeky01 said:

Doesn't seem to be how HBO sees it.

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#!/guide/houses/stark/septa-mordane/gods-old-and-new/

The relevant text:

A priestess of the Faith of the Seven, she serves as governess of the Stark daughters with the aim of teaching them how to be ladies. She has an easier time with Sansa than Arya.

So she is an actual Priestess.

Okay, so I didn't specify that her purpose was to educate the girls (I guess "household spiritual advisor" is too broad a term?). Either way she is part of the Stark's household and not like a nun (as in cloistered away and kept seperate). She is primarily loyal to the Stark family unless they run into dispute with the Faith of the Seven.

**sort of spoiler** As that faith isn't very centrally controlled right now **end spoiler** she is quite correctly identified as part of the Stark's household and not the same as finding and killing a random nun who is giving lessons to the girls on that given day. Sirio, in contrast, was given the option of standing aside as he was not part of the Stark's household but just contracted to help teach Arya to "dance".

El_Ganso

Jun 7, 2010
As I recall, Septa Mordane wasn't killed during the raid, she was caught and then they executed her and hung her head, I think because they couldn't get any useful information out of her regarding Ned's "betrayal".

In other news, anybody else excited that they didn't show Syrio's supposed death either? In the books Arya believes Syrio is dead, but GRRM loves to make his characters believe some other characters are dead and then putting them back on the spotlight with their own chapter :) so hopefully Syrio will make an appearance in book 5 :D

Also, the scene with Sansa kneeling before Joffrey always gave me the impression that somebody planted the idea in Sansa's head that she should ask the boy king for mercy, more so that the boy king gets the chance to show all of cronies in court that he is wise and merciful and less because Sansa was actually brave.

Pappytech

Invested all my Souls into Res
Jun 7, 2011
I'm new to the books, and haven't seen any of the show, but am enjoying the series. I'm glad that the show is doing well, although I can't say I really approve of the sex scenes. So, I can kind of see where the reporter is coming from.

At the same time, there is no way that Game of Thrones is boy fiction. Martin has his female characters narrating easily half of the book, each of them strong/brave in their own ways. Catylen and Arya Stark, Ceresi Lannister, and especially Danyeres (I probably spelled all of those names wrong. Sorry)

I just got a clash of thrones, and can't wait to see what happens next!