Akira Laser Cannon Replica On Sale Via Craigslist

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Akira Laser Cannon Replica On Sale Via Craigslist

If you've got $1,000 and an amorphous best friend cum nuclear destruction analogue in need of slaying, craigslist has you covered.

Constructed by Eddie Paul Industries, the faux laser cannon is a strikingly realistic replica of the weapon used by Akira protagonist Kaneda to forcibly vivisect the physically unstable Tetsuo during the climax of the classic anime [http://www.amazon.com/Akira-Blu-ray-Mitsuo-Iwata/dp/B001LMU182].

"This life size Laser Rifle adapted from the AKIRA anime is a one of a kind collectible. The perfect addition to any die hard AKIRA fan's collection," the ad states before helpfully reminding any would be otaku terrorists that "this collectible is non-firing."

Though the $1,000 price tag seems a bit steep for a non-functional weapon that Escapist writer Andy Rose described as "... cool, but it looks like it could be made out of a nerf gun, gas can and PVC pipe," prospective buyers should know that the people behind this mantelpiece are well-versed in the creation of awesome toys for nostalgic, wealthy adults.

In April of this year, Eddie Paul Industries Kanye West's Akira-themed music video for "Stronger." [http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/04/12/kanedas-bike-from-akira-for-sale-on-craigslist/]

As far as anime replicas go, that bike would have been the preferable option, but if you're willing to drop $1,000, have access to a nearby stadium and an overweight friend you can shout "TETSUOOOOOOOOOOO" at for a few hours, this laser cannon could be a pretty cool investment too.

The craigslist ad was placed on June 1, meaning it will be expiring very, very soon. Presumably the gun has yet to sell, so if you're in the market, contact Eddie Paul as soon as possible.

Source: Anime News Network [http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/clt/2415807852.html]

Smeagol150

Emperor of the Moon
Oct 20, 2008
I never watched Akira, but should I be as confused as I am by the spelling of "cum" in the subheading?

standokan

May 28, 2009
Ah Craigslist, my favourite source of everything that's on ebay but shittier.

Not this time apparantly though.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Smeagol150 said:
I never watched Akira, but should I be as confused as I am by the spelling of "cum" in the subheading?
That made the entire article dirty.

If you get one of those high powered laser pointers the Escapist mentioned a long time ago this could be a functioning badass weapon.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Incase anyone from the Escapist buys this, let me just state that I am a overweight person totally okay with being shouted at in a open field/stadium for long periods of hours.

TETSUOOOOOOOOOOO!

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
This was easily the most memorable part of Akira for me, partly because of that awesome penultimate scene.