Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition Revealed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition Revealed

BioWare has taken the wraps off the Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Collectors-Pc/dp/B0050SZES0/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1307479158&sr=1-2], "the definitive edition" for serious Mass Effect fans.

Nothing says "die-hard videogame fan" like a penchant for collector's editions. While the rest of you are out there just playing your games, those of us who take this business seriously are stocking our shelves with metal boxes, art books, soundtracks and exclusive content that less-discriminating consumers will have to wait literally days to get. Days! And so it is with Mass Effect 3, which BioWare has revealed will be available in both a standard, "I'm not a real fan" edition and a super-ultra N7 Collector's Edition, "the ultimate Mass Effect 3 experience!"

What do you get for your money? Nothing less than a 70-page hardbound art book, a limited edition Dark Horse comic, a "premium fabric" N7 patch, a 4x6 lithograph print with unique artwork [didn't we used to call those postcards?], a soundtrack, forum avatars and social badges, all wrapped up in a premium metal case emblazoned with commemorative image of a lean, mean Commander Shepard fighting machine!

And let's not forget all the hot in-game content! The N7 Arsenal Pack will add the N7 sniper rifle, shotgun, SMG and pistol to the game, which by all rights should be significantly less effective than the high-end heavy hitters you're packing at the end of Mass Effect 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Pc/dp/B001VJ4DHK/ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1307480423&sr=1-6], while Commander Shepard will get his own unique N7 Hoodie to wear on SR-2 casual Fridays. The rest of the squad will have their own alternate outfits as well, and rounding things out will be a faithful new sidekick in the form of a robotic dog.

That's right, a robotic dog.

And how much will all this awesomeness [plus the robotic dog] set you back? Amazon has the CE listed at $79.99, versus $59.99 for the standard edition [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Pc/dp/B004FYKWZU/ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1307481136&sr=1-6]. Okay then, where do I put my money?

Mass Effect 3 is scheduled for release on March 6, 2012.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
I'm heading straight down to GameStop to pre-order this and Assassin's Creed: Revelations as soon as my exams are over tomorrow.

Chappy

May 17, 2010
I had this pre-ordered before I knew what the premium stuff was actually going to be just to be sure (I could always cancel it I'm not that silly :p)

But looks good enough for me I want me a robotic dog.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
So the PC version will be 79.99? Generally you'd assume to get 10 dollars or so off for getting it PC, but knowing EA they'll leave all of the platform costs the same because they're jerks like that.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Standard for me. I usually just shell out extra for figures and stuff.

Soundtrack is always a nice touch, though.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I read that it is being sold on the EA Origin service for just $60. Can anyone confirm?

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
If the dog is available in mission I hope you can have the hamster in his spot if we import a game from Mass Effect 2, all opposition shall fall before Boo.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
They had me at Robotic dog. I shall name it...."Dog". :p
Woah... I was thinking exactly the same thing...

OT: Wow, that seems cheap considering what these things usually cost. I don't usually go for collector's editions, but I'll probably make an exception for this one if it really is that close to the standard price.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
I am naming the dog K-9 and if anyone tries to stop me I will hurt them!

Getting this, especially for the art book.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Well, too bad there isn't a Shepard statue or inflatable lifesized Tali...

I will buy it anyway tho.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
Huh.

Okay.

I mean, I really like the games, but I'm not spending money on that.

Dec 14, 2009
WillN7 said:
LOL Shepard in a hoodie. Is anyone else not able to form that mental picture?
Shepard isn't just the saviour of the galaxy, he's also down with the children.

Representin' the N7 massif!