E3: Dante Finally Gets White Hair in New DMC Trailer

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
E3: Dante Finally Gets White Hair in New DMC Trailer

Devil May Cry [http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/16441134/Devil-May-Cry-DmC/Product.html] fans have at least one thing they can stop complaining about with regards to the new DMC.

Perhaps the single biggest complaint regarding Team Ninja's defend the redesign [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103525-TGS-10-Devil-May-Cry-Getting-Reboot-Face-Lift] from the detractors.

[video=3480]

With the new E3 2011 trailer, however, we've learned that Dante will, in fact, have white hair. Well, he'll have white hair some of the time, really - when he activates his usual Devil Trigger mode (or something very much like it), his hair turns from brownish black to a brilliant pure white, reverting once the Devil Trigger ends.

Some fans are still complaining that this breaks with canon, and that Dante was always supposed to have white hair, but part of me thinks that people who are sticklers for canon in a series about fighting demons in the most over-the-top form fashionable are kind of doing it wrong to begin with.

This trailer actually makes DMC look a lot better to me than it initially did at last year's TGS. Ninja Theory seems to have the hyper-fast over-the-top action down pat, and it might play well even if the guy we're playing as doesn't, well, look like Dante anymore.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks this Dante just doesn't belong in that world. He looks so out of place. Also the White Hair makes him look stupider.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
John Funk said:
Some fans are still complaining that this breaks with canon, and that Dante was always supposed to have white hair, but part of me thinks that people who are sticklers for canon in a series about fighting demons in the most over-the-top form fashionable are kind of doing it wrong to begin with.
Not necessarily a break in Cannon more along the lines of retelling the RARELY TOLD story of Tony Redgraves and how he became the Dante everyone knows. It looks interesting and is actually trying to stay current with the story. That's what I like about this trailer. It's actually trying add on to the story rather than just give a half-assed reboot.

So no I don't think this breaks cannon all that much as I've been dying to see what Dante did before he became an official demon hunter. Sorry it's impossible to find the books anywhere that's why.

So I may be skeptical but I can at least look at this trailer and smile knowing that they made an improvement

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
icyneesan said:
Am I the only one who thinks this Dante just doesn't belong in that world. He looks so out of place. Also the White Hair makes him look stupider.
Not really stupider. It makes him look more like his twin bro Vergil, but like people said this could be an origins story. Still not too happy withe re-design because honestly if you payed attention to all of Dantes forms you'd know damn well he has pale WHITE Skin. Here it's...ick a very dirty brown.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Well it looks better than I was expecting, I'll give it that.

Still don't like the way Dante looks, but I shall remain cautiously optimistic.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Huh. Coming from a Devil May Cry fan, I wasn't too impressed with that. For starters he does look out of place - it just seems a bit too bright. Also it looked a little like a PS2 game. I hope I'm wrong.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Oh come on, another DMC. How is that bad news? The break in the world is kinda cool as well, how he flicks from normal to the Dante we know. ^ ^ Inception mixed with wonderland.

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
Combat look STYLISH! as per usual, but I can't help but want them to bring back sexy Dante.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
Change the head and Dante would look a lot better.
His face just makes it look like he's trying to hard to be hip.
I hate hipster culture.

Granted, I don't really have a place to complain since I've never really cared for DmC

CAPTCHA: Dummy iniarea (Sounds a like disease, dummy)

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
He looks better than he did, however I wasn't much concerned by his appearance when this was first announced. I'm more concerned about his personality. In the previous games he was.... well a douche. But an awesome douche with a snarky sense of humour and a big sword.

I just hope that he isn't all young and broody at this point in his fucked up bazaro quazi-game time stream.

Kasper Gundersen

Oct 18, 2010
Yeah, Dante looks bad... But what the heck happened to Rebellion? Did it work out and lose a few pounds or something... Hell, I think his guns are smaller to...

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
I still have a bad feeling about this game, maybe because Enslaved left a bad taste in my mouth.

Dec 14, 2009
SteelStallion said:
Put a god damn shirt on.

Character designers these days are incredibly stupid. I can't believe this shit. What the fuck is the point of a shirtless guy wearing a trenchcoat and leaving it open?
Tell me about it. Reminds of the guys who wear jeans, but it's halfway down their bloody arse.

Buy clothes that fit or buy a fucking belt.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
My only concern is that the trailer contained some kind of hip-hop/techno mix, something Dante would never listen to.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
The fighting is looking pretty slick, which is infinitely more important to me than the colour of Dante's hair.

Which segues nicely into me saying the new Devil Trigger is definitely heading the right way in terms of design - the idea that he steps into his own world when invoking his devil side is great.

I like the evolution of existing moves too, Sky Star looked nice and I think I saw a Rain Storm in there.

One thing that definitely needs to be kept is the style switch mode introduced by DMC4 - by far the best thing to come out of that game and made Dante into an absolute monster.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Madara XIII said:
Not necessarily a break in Cannon more along the lines of retelling the RARELY TOLD story of Tony Redgraves and how he became the Dante everyone knows.
It's canon, not cannon. Canon is the official version of something. A cannon is something you shoot at ships.

Ghostbody

Jun 10, 2008
Color me interested. I was wondering about how they were going to improve the look of the game and now I can see this as a bit more feasible.