E3: Luigi's Mansion 2

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
E3: Luigi's Mansion 2

Luigi isn't done hunting ghosts and collecting wads of cash from haunted mansions just yet.

Luigi's Mansion for the GameCube was a very charming game even though it wasn't a blockbuster at retail. To pump up the 3DS's roster, Nintendo is making the game into a series with an official sequel on the handheld called Luigi's Mansion 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Luigis-Mansion-2-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B0053BCP40/].

Nintendo offered its E3 press conference attendees hands-on time with the game. Unlike the first title that had Luigi roaming through a haunted mansion to save a kidnapped Mario, Luigi's Mansion 2 starts in what looks like an underground lab with Luigi and a cute little scientist in front of a group of monitors. On one of the monitors is a mansion. The professor tells Luigi about a particular ghost he must exterminate, and then teleports the Mario Bro. through the monitor to the mansion's location.

If you've played Luigi's Mansion, you know what to expect here. Luigi walks around with a vacuum, sucking up ghosts and valuables. The initial level seemed more detailed than those in the GameCube version. I walked Luigi around an outdoor courtyard, using Luigi's vacuum to pull a tarp off of a statue which had a propeller on the top. I put the vacuum in reverse mode to make the propeller spin, pulling the statue up and revealing a cache of treasure. All over the courtyard were secret little areas like this to either suck or blow on to collect dollar bills, coins, gold bars, and other forms of wealth. Luigi can aim the vacuum upward and downward to suck things up from all sorts of levels.

I didn't see a ghost until I got inside the mansion. I entered a room with an old-style car that seemed empty at first. I collected a key for a locked door in the other hallway, and tried to leave only to have an ethereal gate block my way. Inside of the car, a ghost appeared!

Ghosts must be stunned using Luigi's chargeable strobe flashlight, and they can then be sucked into the vacuum. Once you get a bead on a ghost with your suck power, it'll pull away and you have to chase it around the room, pressing A to make pulling the ghost in easier.

I popped a few ghosts into my vacuum bag and moved onto a long hallway with suits of armor that tried to drop swords down on my head, all the while trying to suck in everything and anything possible. So far, I'm liking Luigi in his new job as professional ghost hunter.

Nintendo hasn't put a date on Luigi's Mansion 2 yet.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011]

spaceman_jan

Adventurer by profession
Mar 1, 2011
I liked the first one it was light hearted and fun so i cant wait for the new one

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Luigi's Mansion might be the most underrated game of all time. You have your Psychonauts and your Beyond Good and Evil, but nobody even talks about Luigi's Mansion.

Anyway, I was still a bit hesitant to pick up a 3DS. Now I definitely will.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Luigi's Mansion was a very underrated game, it was one of the best for the GC.

Looking forward to this :3

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
yeah i really liked the first one. another would be good. Nintendo knows what they are doing when they make a sequel. same thing, only different.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
YES YES YES!!!

One of my favourite GC games, always wanted this to happen but never thought it would really!

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
DaHero said:
I can't tell if trolling or just....really Nintendo?
Care to expand on that?

OT: This is a game me and many others have been waiting for since the original. It was a great game, but way too short. It thus looks like I'll have to get myself a 3DS soon...

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Lukeje said:
DaHero said:
I can't tell if trolling or just....really Nintendo?
Care to expand on that?

OT: This is a game me and many others have been waiting for since the original. It was a great game, but way too short. It thus looks like I'll have to get myself a 3DS soon...
Luigi's Mansion was just one of those games that I never could enjoy. Mario's always been about platforming and here it's...a Ghostbusters clone? It feels like Luigi couldn't have his own platformer so he settled for adventure titles. I mean, we couldn't give him his own big 3D adventure? Just stick him in a 3 story mansion with next to nothing for puzzles and hope it's good enough?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
It ain't easy

bein Luigi

I think he does much better when he's not trying to be his brother.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
I would have thought this game would be perfect for the Wii.

I don't play handhelds, so I'm gonna miss this one, but the first one was pretty fun.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Substitute "Miss Mousey" with "Luigi's Mansion" and you have my opinion and reaction to what people think of my opinion. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jJNxj1FdKuo#t=205s]

I'm not saying I'm anticipating this with bated breath, but I wouldn't mind seeing more about this.

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
I was almost certain this would never get a sequel. Soooooo glad it is, I loved the first one. Can't wait.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
Luigi's Mansion was probably the most under-appreciated game that Nintendo put out. It was quirky, and it featured my favorite Mario brother, Luigi.

Luigi was a cowardly chap who ultimately decided to be brave and face his fears. And he got himself some money in the process, as well as a huge mansion of his own :3 I fully expect Yahtzee to check out Luigi's Mansion 2 for a ZP of the future.

Hopefully it captures the whimsical entertainment of the first one. I think my favorite part of it was that it felt robust, even though it took me barely any time to beat it. Short, yet satisfying. Not many games can do that :3

Iconsting

Apr 14, 2009
Yo Nintendo, if you feel like making sequels to abandoned Gamecube titles, I know quite a few people who would be more than satisfied if you came out with a Kirby Air Ride 2.