E3: Mario Kart 3DS

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
E3: Mario Kart 3DS

Mario Kart [http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/games/mario-kart-3ds/89891] has returned on the 3DS with customizable karts and underwater levels.

Somehow, Nintendo manages to keep adding new features to every single Mario Kart entry. They've done it once again for the 3DS version of Mario Kart, made playable at E3 2011.

Don't get me wrong, the game is still Mario Kart. You'll be trying to get a boost at the start line, picking up banana peels and shells with which to destroy your opponents, and power-sliding around curves for a speed boost. However, there are some notable new features Nintendo displayed in the demo version.

Before a race, players can customize their karts instead of choosing different ones as in past titles. You'll choose the kart body, the kart wheels, and the type of hang-glider to add to the kart. The bodies are basically like the kart choices we've seen before, but wheels can make your kart into anything from a lowrider to monster truck.

Wait, did I say hang-glider? Yes, yes I did. You'll be hang-gliding in Mario Kart 3DS whenever you launch into the air. Popping off of a jump in previous games sort of just made your kart fall to the ground. That descent is halted with the use of the new hang-glider.

During races, players now collect coins again too. Surprisingly, in the middle of one level I drove into a lake and wasn't immediately fished out by Lakitu. Players will actually race underwater this time as if they were above water. It's mostly a visual effect for now.

The game looked a little better than the DS version, and I felt 3D worked well while racing. Mario Kart 3DS will be available in Holiday 2011.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011]

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Nintendo has fulfilled their obligatory remake of Mario titles for every platform quota this year.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Nice, I really hope the graphics are reasonable on this game as I feel the only issue I had with MarioKart DS was that the visuals were a little basic due to the limitations of the handheld.

Bob the frantic

Sep 5, 2009
HankMan said:
therandombear said:
Nintendo is grabbing all my money this and next year ;_;
I have a feeling Nintendo will be flooded with orders!
They could soon be gliding to the top of the charts!

Seriously Nintendo, I need money to eat this year - can you slow down on the awesome?

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
WaaghPowa said:
Nintendo has fulfilled their obligatory remake of Mario titles for every platform quota this year.
No they haven't. Not until I get a new 2d Mario are they done. I'm not waiting another 15 years for a new 2D Mario. That shit is worse than Valve time.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I noticed that the line-up revealed so far is the exact same line-up from the original Super Mario Kart...

Except Donkey Kong. Unless you believe that whole fiasco about Donkey Kong Jr. being the current Donkey Kong.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
No! I won't nintendo! I bought the n64 version, then your DS version, I bought the wii version but I will not buy a 3DS for your 3DS VERSION! Full price for adding smaller details.

Jameseh

Rejected from society.
Mar 20, 2009
fare777 said:
No! I won't nintendo! I bought the n64 version, then your DS version, I bought the wii version but I will not buy a 3DS for your 3DS VERSION! Full price for adding smaller details.
Its a racing game, what do you expect? Its got 50% new tracks, something that Forza couldn't say it has.

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
The last Mario Kart game I had fun with was the one on the DS. Gamecube and Wii versions were quite meh. I thought the Wii version seemed to have awfully slow carts, and the bikes did nothing for me.

Not sure if the appeal of gliding would bring me back to Mario Kart.