E3: Arma III

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
E3: Arma III

This island trip is no vacation.

It's the near future, and there's conflict on a global scale. If that sounds familiar, it's because it's the plot of any number of video games (and books, and movies) already available and in production. Arma III takes the concept in a slightly different direction by focusing more on a strategic, tactical shooting experience, rather than your typical over-the-top shooter.

For those unfamiliar with the Arma series, here's a quick recap: developed by Czech Republic-based Bohemia Interactive, Arma II [http://www.amazon.com/ArmA-Armed-Assault-Windows/dp/B000OU4EHG/] and an expansion, Operation Arrowhead, a couple of years later. The series has been praised for offering a realistic military tactical shooter experience, but critics also found that the realism made the difficulty level hard to deal with.

When I was shown an early build of Arma III yesterday, I was told that the realism had returned, but the developers were improving the technology behind the gameplay. Some of the additions are simple, like customizable weapons and equipment, but others were more complex. For starters, they focused on realistic vehicle physics, which they showed off by driving around the screen in a tank. You'll also be able to pilot helicopters and boats, as well as other land vehicles, and from what I could tell the physics do look solid; inanimate objects moved appropriately when being bumped by a vehicle, rather than flying into the distance, exploding, or any number of other ridiculous scenarios some war games try to present as normal.

Arma III takes place on a Mediterranean island, and I was told it was the largest area of any game in the series. The island offers many different objectives, so it's not just about moving from point A to point B. I even got a look at some underwater diving, which can be done by equipping scuba gear to your soldier. There seems to be a lot of variety in the gameplay, but it's clear that Bohemia is striving for that same realism their games are known for.

The game has a single-player campaign and a multiplayer component, but since I was presented with a few different elements new to the series and didn't really get to see a lot of action, it's hard to judge the gameplay. Graphically, it's looking really solid, with a lot of attention paid to the details of vehicles and equipment in particular. The potential for the gameplay improvements that were promised is definitely there, and it seems like Arma III is just the game to appease fans of the realistic military tactical shooter genre.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Arma has always been awesome. Its not for the COD kiddies that want to run around shooting stupidly without consequence.

The realism and the realistic mods make this game a hell of a lot of fun. Huge huge maps where games can take 5-6 hours to clear out towns from insurgents.

People have jobs to do, and can switch roles at any time. There's short games too that are only 20-40 minutes long with coop.

The movement was clunky, its good that they've decided to beef up the engine and make it a lot smoother.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Not too sure about the almost Tom Clancy take the series is using for the third game, but it's gonna be cool to see all of the new stuff they're putting in.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
Did they say anything about optimization? Did the computer running the demonstration survive?
ArmA III will probably be playable on "normal" computers once ArmA V is out. Until then, get ready to turn your computer to maximum overclock.

night_chrono

Mar 13, 2008
So will the net code no suck a pile of ass this time? I fucking love ArmA 2 and spend more time playing it (with the Stargate mod of course) then any other game of recent memory.

However the online just refuses to work sometimes till I've gone off and sacrificed a few goats and convinced the planets to align.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Xersues said:
Arma has always been awesome. Its not for the COD kiddies that want to run around shooting stupidly without consequence.
Hey, I started with COD and ended up dumping it for ArmA! :3

It can be ArmA 2 all over again for all I care, as long as they improve the bloody physics...