E3: The Sims 3: Pets

Sarah Brown

Sep 4, 2010
E3: The Sims 3: Pets

Pets finally feel like a part of the family.

Walking into the room for The Sims 3: Pets [http://www.amazon.com/Sims-3-Pets-Special-Bundle-Mac/dp/B0054IV21O/] demonstration I was slightly circumspect about what I would find. I like The Sims, and I've been telling an avatar of myself to use the restroom, shower, cook, clean, eat, and be social since I got my hands on the very first installment. I've been amazed at myself for finding joy in virtually carrying out the tasks that I hate having to deal with in my daily life. To be honest, I haven't quite figured out the reason for this joy...I just know I have it. Having said that, I've never really been a fan of the "Pets" titles, starting with the Unleashed expansion for the original Sims.

The previous forays into pet territory have felt contrived to me. Your pet is only as good as the quick burst of the social bar when you're lonely. You can customize appearance, especially in The Sims 2, but it requires a more-than-basic knowledge of the customization interface. They have personalities, but only vaguely, and mostly based on training. Once trained, they add essentially nothing but a possible cash influx when you sell them. These were my opinions, anyway, and I was wary. I shouldn't have been.

In The Sims 3: Pets, there are over 100 breeds of cats and dogs to choose from. Out of the box there's a pit bull that looks eerily like my own. Once you select a breed the aesthetic customization options are nearly endless. Bigger nose, easy. Tiny tail, short legs, Dumbo ears? Yes. Two pink spots behind Tabby's right ear? Absolutely. On top of the ridiculously expanded visual options, you assign traits to your furry creatures. Fido can be smart, or dim. He can dig through your trash or bring your mail. Clueless, Feral, Genius, Friendly, Hunter, Digger...fantastic.

I think what I'm most excited about, the thing that makes all the difference for me, is the introduction of your pets as controllable sims. You can guide them to perform their necessary bodily functions (Yay?) and interact with other animals or people, they can even get jobs and make you some extra money. If you're lonely you can take 'em out on the town, to a park or a bar, and have them "Fetch a Date". I know actual people that do this. Is your sim president of the Lonely Hearts Club? Take Lassie to the bar and have her be cute as a button for every potential date in the place, 'til you casually stroll over and strike up a conversation. See, you can be that guy! Lifetime Achievements are exchanged for a mystery journal that offers rewards for completing specific tasks. Your pet is finally an active member of the household.

The Sims 3: Pets will be released across multiple platforms, including the PC as an expansion, the 360, PS3, and 3DS as a standalone. The 360 has the bonus of Kinect functionality, allowing you to navigate your menus and chain your commands via voice instruction. Exclusive to the PC/Mac versions, you can buy a horse. Awesome. Finally, with the 3DS version you can trade your pets over StreetPass. Also, there will be a limited edition pack that contains exclusive breeds. Heyo!

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
They could get Jobs in Sims2. Infact my dogs usually ended up earning me than me...my human characters.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Kalezian said:
I can buy a horse?

for the PC version?

obligatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUl9_5kK9ts
woah.... that was weird

i followed your link an hour and a halve ago, i was just going to watch your video, BUT THEN i saw a "WOW" version, and THEN I saw a WOW Boom De Ah Da song, i didn´t knew what it was...

the next couple of minutes i spent looking trough the whole videos of "Boom the ah da" that i could find... weird huh?

anyway... what were we talking about? oh! right!!!

(JK: i want a horsey too)

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Actually, in the PC version, there's a cheat you could use in The Sims 2 to make your pets controllable. Go into the cheat entry mode (Shift-Control-C) and enter "boolProp ControlPets on" and you can control your pets. I know, kind of obtuse just to let us control our pets, but it's still a means of doing it.

zefiewings

May 28, 2011
YAY! but I still need to go pick up Generations.

i am not sure about the controllable thing. It's never really bothered me that you couldn't. I always saw sims as a way to try and life a life...you can't make your cat do whatever in real life. Now that I hear the option... I am a bit excited about it. It's not what makes or breaks it for me.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
FINALLY. Took long enough.
I've been waiting for Pets since I picked up Sims 3. I enjoyed Pets and University from Sims 2 the most.
So...come on Sims 3 University! Must have more Llama references.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
I am seriously considering repurchasing this on steam just for this expansion (I gave away my discs to my brother).

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
bdcjacko said:
I think my gf might like this. Can you get a pixie-bob?
Like the haircuts or do you mean as pets? If haircuts: for people or the pets?

My wife is a big fan of the series but she's starting to get sick of the same expansion packs. What they need to do with sims4 is to start it off with Pets, Nightlife, and Businesses (at least) on the launch disc and work on all new expansions and maybe bring back old ones like Making Magic.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
bdcjacko said:

My wife is a big fan of the series but she's starting to get sick of the same expansion packs. What they need to do with sims4 is to start it off with Pets, Nightlife, and Businesses (at least) on the launch disc and work on all new expansions and maybe bring back old ones like Making Magic.
This:

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
bdcjacko said:
GonzoGamer said:
bdcjacko said:

This:

Cute kitten.
Now I'm confused.... yet less angry than I usually am this time of day and I want to cuddle something now.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
bdcjacko said:
GonzoGamer said:
bdcjacko said:

This:

Cute kitten.
Now I'm confused.... yet less angry than I usually am this time of day and I want to cuddle something now.
It is a pixie-bobs are a breed of cats.

Ogargd

Nov 7, 2010
Pets again? Yay a reboot, not that I look forward to it in the slightest, sims lost it's appeal to me when I was fourteen. I really feel sorry for anyone whom bought the console versions of this crap.

PipPup

Apr 22, 2011
I am so excited. I loved the pet expansion packs of the sims. I can see why many find them boring, but for me they were always a highlight of the sims series.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I would buy the game and the expansion if i could get a pet space marine.

Lenin211

Apr 22, 2011
They are just going to keep charging us $40 for the same content as we had in Sims 2.