Captain Jack Eager to Return to Doctor Who

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Captain Jack Eager to Return to Doctor Who

There might be a new Doctor in the TARDIS, but that doesn't bother Captain Jack one bit.

Actor John Barrowman, also known as Captain Jack Harkness, says that not only would he like to return to the Doctor Who fold, it's actually already been discussed. Barrowman first played Harkness in the 2005 series of Doctor Who before going on to star in the spin off series Torchwoord.

Harkness accompanied the Doctor and Rose until the end of the first season, where he is killed by the Daleks and then resurrected - and rendered immortal - by Rose when she takes the TARDIS' time vortex into herself. Unfortunately, he is left behind, and is forced to make his own way back to Earth. He crosses paths with the Doctor on a number of occasions after that, most recently the episode "Journey's End," where he helped the Doctor foil another Dalek plot. Harkness is also notable for being the first openly non-heterosexual character in the Doctor Who TV show.

Barrowman said that he would return to Doctor Who at the "drop of a hat," although he did express a certain amount of regret that he wouldn't get to work with David Tennant again. "I like Matt Smith," he said. "He brings his own quirkiness to it ... There's a whole new generation who are now attached to Matt, and rightly so ... but David Tennant is my Doctor."

It would be interesting to see Captain Jack back in the TARDIS again. He's the same kind of character as River Song - the experienced time traveler/adventurer - but doesn't have quite as much romantic baggage, although it's hard to imagine him not flirting with Matt Smith's Doctor. The interaction between Jack, Rory and Amy, assuming that they all ended up in the TARDIS together, could be a heck of a lot of fun to watch as well.

Source: Blastr [http://blastr.com/2011/06/john-barrowman-my-return.php]

Feb 13, 2008
No.

You were removed.

Stay gone, you cretinous oaf. Take your Kirk ripoff somewhere else.

Also, you were removed from the timeline when the Universe reset. That's WHY the Universe reset. Stay with your damn Touchcloth and never darken our screens again.

Logan Westbrook said:
Harkness is also notable for being the first openly non-heterosexual character in the Doctor Who TV show.

Is that really what he's notable for? In a show that openly shows xenosexuality since the very first episode? FFS, Craptain Jack can die in a fire.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
No.

You were removed.

Stay gone, you cretinous oaf. Take your Kirk ripoff somewhere else.

Also, you were removed from the timeline when the Universe reset. That's WHY the Universe reset. Stay with your damn Touchcloth and never darken our screens again.
No such thing happened, ALSO
Jack is the Face of Bo, one of the Doctor's oldest friends.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
I'd like him back, but only if he has absolutely no interest in Amy, the character is not as attractive as she thinks she is and that he constantly flirts with Rory.

It would be nice to have at least one thing carry over from the Tennant years.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
That would be awesome. I'd love to see how the Doctor reacts to what happened in Children of Earth.

Also, you were removed from the timeline when the Universe reset. That's WHY the Universe reset.
In the words of the master: [citation needed]

Feb 13, 2008
Ossian said:
When was that EVER a spoiler? It was telegraphed since season 3.

And that was also removed. As were the Toclafane and all the rest of RTD's creations. There was an agreement between Moffat and RTD.

Jameseh

Rejected from society.
Mar 20, 2009
Now that Tennant's gone, all 10th Doctor characters shouldn't appear again bar maybe brief cameos. Matt Smith DW seems a completely different show and its popularity in america shows that it is.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
And that was also removed. As were the Toclafane and all the rest of RTD's creations. There was an agreement between Moffat and RTD.
Given that the Ood and the Judoon are back, I think Moffat is somewhat lenient about enforcing that rule (just like how he claimed he wasn't going to be bringing any more of the old-series villains back). Not to mention that Moffat wrote the episode in which Jack Harkness was introduced, so (like River Song) he presumably counts as one of Moffat's creations anyway.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
I liked John Barrowman, I thought he did a tremendous job playing the part.

That said, I cannot find myself liking Captain Jack as a character, because personally I believe he was nothing more than RTD's personal Mary Sue. I think it's best that he stay in the past.

But if there's another way to bring John Barrowman the actor back in, I'm open to it.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Good. I really liked Cap'Jack (seriously how many of these are there?)/John Barrowman.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I thought Captain Jack was wonderful in Doctor Who, but I didn't really enjoy Torchwood and after Children of Earth I think the character has been effectively ruined.

Really, he's on his knees begging for Ianto's life and fully ready to capitulate, then an episode later he violently kills his grandson right in front of the kid's mother? If he'd been adamant about not giving in the entire time I could have accepted the ending as dark - it would have at least been consistent. But as it played out I'm not longer interested in seeing Captain Jack again.

If Torchwood was over and donewith, and Moffat wanted to bring his Captain Jack back to Doctor Who I think it could be done. But as is I'm rather hoping he doesn't return.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
A Social Reject said:
Now that Tennant's gone, all 10th Doctor characters shouldn't appear again bar maybe brief cameos. Matt Smith DW seems a completely different show and its popularity in america shows that it is.
I love how people say that like americans have no taste. Getting sick of it.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Ossian said:
When was that EVER a spoiler? It was telegraphed since season 3.

the toclafane were removed when David Tennant's doctor destroyed the Masters paradox machine, a whole 2 seasons before the reset even happened so they have absolutely nothing to do with it.

The fact that the reset is used as an excuse to do whatever they like is really lame; take the cybermen, they were all destroyed in our universe years ago, they only came back because of the alternate reality. But now there are apparently at least 12 legions of the guys running around, who look identical to the alternate lot (minus the C on the chest disk). At least the Daleks got a new look (which they really didn't need)

All the rest of RTD's creations were destroyed? then why were there Judoon and redesigned Sontarans in that last episode? Or more importantly why is River Song still there?

OT: Yes definitely bring back Jack he was awesome! Though if we have 3 men in the TARDIS you know they're going to try write in more sexual tension and it's bad enough as it is.

M-JN

Jan 26, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
but doesn't have quite as much romantic baggage
Well, he will now. Children of Earth shot him straight into tortured antiheroland.

Hungry Donner said:
I thought Captain Jack was wonderful in Doctor Who, but I didn't really enjoy Torchwood and after Children of Earth I think the character has been effectively ruined.

Really, he's on his knees begging for Ianto's life and fully ready to capitulate, then an episode later he violently kills his grandson right in front of the kid's mother? If he'd been adamant about not giving in the entire time I could have accepted the ending as dark - it would have at least been consistent. But as it played out I'm not longer interested in seeing Captain Jack again.

If Torchwood was over and donewith, and Moffat wanted to bring his Captain Jack back to Doctor Who I think it could be done. But as is I'm rather hoping he doesn't return.
Yeah..... yeah. But I can't blame that 100% on the character, just... I dunno, the show. Torchwood was fun and all, but then COE, and I am fine with being hit with tragedy, just not when it's for nothing but the SAKE of being tragic.

Ianto's death wasn't so much pointless as it was stretched and forced to happen. Jack is so clever and swashbuckly but all of a sudden he honestly thinks this intimidation gambit is going to work? Even the Doctor doesn't throw all of his chips on stupid shit like that. AND OH, romantic interest died to a musical swell, and it's all your fault cap'n, HOW UNPREDICTABLE, RTD.

I liked the character, but I hope if he does come back, he'll have had some time to get over the Torchwood stuff (including whatever horrible shit is going to happen to his personal life in season 4) because broodyJack would be just sad.