E3: Dark Souls

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
E3: Dark Souls

The follow-up to Demon's Souls is hard as hell and it doesn't care about your feelings.

The game that a dedicated few once begged Atlus to bring over to the States has since become a main inspiration for recent releases, including The Witcher 2 and The Dark Crusade. Now developer From Software have created a sequel with a larger audience in mind, but that doesn't necessarily translate into an easier game. A more accessible game? Sure.

The first thing you'll notice about Dark Souls are the controls that have been slightly tweaked. The original had sluggish controls that could be mastered once the timing is memorized, but combat feels much more intuitive in Dark Souls. Movement, strong attacks, rolls and parrying all feel more responsive. Good thing too, because this sequel's combat encounters are harder than anything in the previous game.

After picking your character (more on that later), the demo places you at the entrance of a castle. Two zombie-like enemies stand lifeless, waiting for you to attack and collect their souls. Just around the corner, however, is a giant dragon that will kill you in one hit. A leveled, skilled player could perhaps beat it, but it's meant mainly as a reminder of the game you are playing. It's a game where death is always around the corner and it can come from the smallest mistakes.

Graphically, the game looks identical to Demon's Souls but the scale of the world is much larger. Everything in the player's sight can now be explored, from distant towers to caverns. There is no confirmation whether the hub world of the original will return, but the new addition of bonfires will help players survive a long journey. Bonfires are essentially check points that heal you and replenish your potions. However, you are limited in the number of bonfires you can ignite unless you sacrifice souls (xp) you've collected. You'll find these checkpoints throughout areas, but the game still retains its challenge. Replenishing at a bonfire not only requires extensive backtracking, but it also respawns all of the enemies you just defeated.

In the E3 demo, Namco - the series' new publisher - showed off the new Pyromancer class. With a focus on fire-based magic, the Pyromancer is skilled at taking down larger enemies from a distance. The Pyromancer also has the ability to summon more enemies into other players' games, showing up as red versions of demons in their games. This makes the Pyromancer griefers' class of choice. From Software are still balancing the game, figuring out ways to inconvenience the caster as well.

Dark Souls might be an incremental sequel, but it's a welcome one, nonetheless. It's a quick reminder of how much From Software got right the first time out, but it's also an example of how to change and improve a sequel beyond graphical flourishes.

Both Xbox 360 and PS3 owners can look forward to dying and dying again when the game is released October 4.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011]

Sigma Van Lockheart

Jun 7, 2011
My problem with demon souls was explained in the Zero punctuation review of it and i can imagine it will be the same for this.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
These games sound arbitrarily hard. Like trial and error, if you dont know whats coming you are screwed hard. And thats not for me.

What I really like is how upfront the game is about it and it definatly has its niche market of people who (I dont know why) WANT THIS. So it seems everyone who plays it loves it, because the only people that play is are insane.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
bombadilillo said:
These games sound arbitrarily hard. Like trial and error, if you dont know whats coming you are screwed hard. And thats not for me.

What I really like is how upfront the game is about it and it definatly has its niche market of people who (I dont know why) WANT THIS. So it seems everyone who plays it loves it, because the only people that play is are insane.
To be fair, it's pretty hysterical to just be walking down an empty hallway...then suddenly take three arrows to the back and die horribly because you stepped on the wrong tile.

All me and my friend did while playing Demon Souls was laugh at all the random deaths he incurred.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
bombadilillo said:

To be fair, it's pretty hysterical to just be walking down an empty hallway...then suddenly take three arrows to the back and die horribly because you stepped on the wrong tile.

All me and my friend did while playing Demon Souls was laugh at all the random deaths he incurred.
I can almost see it. But I dont want to backtrack all that. If the game had a much more forgiving save system maybe.

I guess I just like a different type of hard. I enjoy skill challange. But you stepped on wrong tile and blew up the universe---permadeath, and your ps3 just got bricked. Not for me.

I wish I could play it but I know I dont have the stuff.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
bombadilillo said:

That's not the case, though. If you observe your environment and your enemies, you won't die. Every death you incur in Demon's Souls is entirely your fault.. except maybe the tutorial death (that's just there to prove a point). It's not even that difficult if you stock up on magic and move slowly through the levels (well, until NG+ anyway).

I wish people would focus on a different aspect of the game, tbh. The level design and combat is some of the best I've ever seen in an RPG.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
Demon's Souls isn't hard, it's mostly ridiculously time intensive: not dying requires you carefully observe everything, which most people can't be bothered to do.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
bombadilillo said:

They actually aren't though. It was, to me anyway, a very balanced game in that it was hard, but it payed off in the end and felt worth while. It wasn't hard just to be hard, it was just a game that required lots of care when you played. Also, the game was completely skill based, more than anything. Not that better gear didn't help, it did, and having more life and all that, but you could tackle any boss with right weapon and just your crazy skills.... well, not the Flamelurker, he was just ridiculous. But pretty much all the other bosses you could build a strategy to beat, and you could essentially handle anything from the first moment as long as you knew how to play your character.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
I'm glad they aren't changing too much. Why do I like these widow maker games?

Already on pre-order. Hope my wife likes this one....

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I played Demon souls. I tried my best to like the game, but the amount of times it just punished me for one slip up and the fustration of having to begin a level over again... not to mention people randomly dropping into my game and killing, turned me off the game.

If this game is much the same or worse, I may avoid it. Not my type sadly.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Dark soullllsssssssssssssssss. *ahem* where was I? Oh right. Yeah so I'm quite looking forward to this game.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Graphically identical is kind of some bad news. As much as I enjoyed Demon's Souls it was ugly as sin.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
October 4th? Damn, I don't think I'll have enough money for this...
*cries*
I'll probably get it at a later date if I don't have the money.

Also: I never had a big problem the the controls in Demon's Souls, but if the controls in Dark Souls are supposed to be smooth, that's always a plus!

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
Hmm, the most interesting part about playing Demon's Souls was when you realized that the game actually wasn't /isn't hard.

On your first play? You'd better believe that it'll make you bemoan the day you purchased it but, after a while, you adapt to the difficulty curve. The Flame Lurker and Maneater, though, might cause tears.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
For all the talk about DS's tremendous difficulty, the game becomes extremely manageable once you learn a few things.

1.) Whenever you regain body form, suicide in the Nexus. Dying in body form mid-level turns the world tendency black and makes the game even harder.
2.) Find or buy a spear and a decent shield as soon as possible. This combo trivializes a lot of encounters and makes learning the tough ones more bearable.
3.) Rolling is better than blocking, especially when it comes to bosses and anything magical. Shed armor until you can quick-roll.
4.) Pay attention to fire and magic. Some enemies are extremely vulnerable to one or the other. Some enemies use one or the other. Be ready to take advantage.
5.) Pay attention to your surroundings, especially with respect to environmental hazards like cliffs. Always leave yourself room to roll.

Once you understand these basic principles, the game isn't nearly so hard.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
FieryTrainwreck said:
For all the talk about DS's tremendous difficulty, the game becomes extremely manageable once you learn a few things.

1.) Whenever you regain body form, suicide in the Nexus. Dying in body form mid-level turns the world tendency black and makes the game even harder.
2.) Find or buy a spear and a decent shield as soon as possible. This combo trivializes a lot of encounters and makes learning the tough ones more bearable.
3.) Rolling is better than blocking, especially when it comes to bosses and anything magical. Shed armor until you can quick-roll.
4.) Pay attention to fire and magic. Some enemies are extremely vulnerable to one or the other. Some enemies use one or the other. Be ready to take advantage.
5.) Pay attention to your surroundings, especially with respect to environmental hazards like cliffs. Always leave yourself room to roll.

Once you understand these basic principles, the game isn't nearly so hard.
Good advice thanks :D

I never quite got that World tendency thing...didnt research it much either...maybe I'll pick it up again now :p Fantastic game and a good vision of what the gaming world would have been with this graphics 10-15 years ago :p