Bethesda Claims Interplay Wants to "Undermine" Fallout

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Bethesda Softworks has filed a new motion for an injunction against Fallout Online, claiming that Interplay is trying to undermine the canon established in Fallout 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Game-Year-Pc/dp/B002BXKJA0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307639073&sr=8-3] and beyond with non-canon work set in a different era.

With Interplay's most recent 10-K filing use only the Fallout name [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110516-Fallout-Online-Threatened-By-Interplay-Financial-Woes] in the game but no other Fallout-related assets; now Bethesda has added the twist that Interplay will "undermine" Bethesda's work because its plan for Fallout Online aren't consistent enough with the current state of the franchise.

"The original Fallout 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-Pc/dp/B00004KDF9/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307639215&sr=8-3] also is set on the west coast of the United States and takes place approximately 80 years after Fallout (c. 2241). When Bethesda created Fallout 3, Bethesda continued the post-apocalyptic tradition of Fallout and Fallout 2. However, Bethesda set the game on the east coast of the United States approximately 35 years after Fallout 2 and 200 years after the nuclear war (c. 2277). Documents recently produced by Interplay reveal that Interplay intends to [redacted] . This places the Fallout MMOG story line [redacted]. Interplay's documents show that, in its Fallout MMOG, Interplay intends to [redacted]."

"In other words, Interplay intends to use the copyrighted Fallout artwork and backstory, which is undisputedly owned by Bethesda, to undermine the plot-line of Bethesda's award-winning Fallout 3 game," the filing continues. "Obviously, this is intended to harm Bethesda's reputation and that of the Fallout 3 game. Game players who follow the Fallout history will be confused and confounded by the sequence of events created by Interplay in its MMOG."

Bethesda also brought the court's attention to Interplay's Fallout Online website [http://www.fallout-on-line.com], which wasn't live when the first preliminary injunction request was filed. "The Flash animation and content of this website include infringing copies of Bethesda's copyrighted works, including copyrighted character art such as 'Vault Boy' and weapons art such as 'Brother of Steel Power Armor'," it said. "The animation's opening sequence with the 'Please Stand By' test pattern is copied from the opening scene of Bethesda's Fallout 3 game. The carvings on the desk of 'The Master Lives' and '♥ Harold' depicted in the animation are plain and clear references to 'The Master' and 'Harold,' characters from the backstory of the previous Fallout games."

I won't even pretend to have a worthwhile opinion about the relative merits of the legal arguments in play, or even about which side is acting like a bigger dick, which is what these conversations usually boil down to. [For the record, however, I don't think Bethesda is necessarily the Big Meanie here.] But as a gamer and a Fallout fan, I find my attention drawn to the fact that Interplay is apparently planning to take the MMO in a completely different direction than that laid down by Bethesda. It's impossible to say when or where Interplay intends to set the game but it seems clear that whatever its plan, it doesn't fit very smoothly with the established Bethesda continuity.

It's also awesome and hilarious to see the Fallout timeline detailed in a legal document as if it was a series of real historical events.

In a separate filing, Interplay revealed that it has secured funding [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Interplay_says_it_has_funding_for_Fallout_Online] for Fallout Online with the Interactive Game Group. In other words, this fight could drag out for a long while yet, and Interplay, if it prevails, might actually be able to make this game happen. We'll keep you posted!

Source: Ausir [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Bethesda%27s_preliminary_injunction:_Interplay_is_breaking_Fallout_canon] for the tip.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
I'll boil it down to the facts.

1. Interplay is not the Interplay we knew. Don't mourn what may happen to this Interplay - They're not who you think they are.
2. Bethesda are being dicks, but not without reason.
3. Interplay are in no shape to create, finance and run an MMO. The amount they're borrowing and the frequency of their near-bankruptcies should make that clear.
4. Interplay sold the rights to Bethesda, and in Interplay's hands the Fallout franchise would undoutably either be lost to the mists of time or fail in a non-spectacular fashion.
5. Bethesda have, and will, continue to use the license for "good". Getting Obsidian (The remnants of the original developers for Fallout) to do New Vegas should be near enough proof of that.
6. Interplay needs to die. Now.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Honestly if interplay is doing that its pretty dickish of them. Bethesda made fallout 3, dont be sour and try to undermine it just because you were not allowed to make your own fallout 3. I'm with bethesda on this one.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I hate to say it - I mean, I love Bethesda and everything - and I know they have the legal high ground here, but their complaints are just starting to sound childish.

Please stop embarrassing yourself Bethesda.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Interplay my old friend, you did a good job with the original Fallout series, but when you guys also made the truly bad Brotherhood of Steel game and cancelled Van Buren, I kind of lost faith in you. Now you sold the rights of the series to Bethesda, and after their success with making the franchise good again, you are jealous and suddenly want your toy back. Please give up Interplay, it's over.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
coldalarm said:
5. Bethesda have, and will, continue to use the license for "good". Getting Obsidian (The remnants of the original developers for Fallout) to do New Vegas should be near enough proof of that.
Prepare to be assaulted by a horde of people decrying your statement because apparently New Vegas should've never seen daylight.

Bugs be damned, Obsidian did a really good job on that one. Set a new bar to sandbox narratives.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Andy Chalk said:

Interplay can't manage to stay solvent long enough to say, "Look, we have more than zeron dollars!" They have no business trying to camp this project, whether or not they have the "right."

It would also be ridiculous of them to do anything to disparage the work of Bethesda on this IP, as they're banking on the popularity that Bethesda has built, maintained, and/or restored in this franchise. Let's also not forget that the first-/third-person shooter transfer was accomplished by Bethesda, and I highly doubt anyone will be paying to play a 2.5D MMO now that we're past the days of Ultima Online.

The more this goes on, the more it becomes obvious that Interplay has been using the old quarter-on-a-string trick. Sell off the IP, let someone else (who doesn't run out of money every six months) build it back up, and then try to snag it back when it seems the most profitable.

So, I don't blame Bethesda for the legal wrangling. Tell Interplay they can't use all your hard work, then tell them they can't turn around and try to replace your work, and you'll corner them into giving up this long-running scam.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I loved the first two Fallouts. I loved the last two Fallouts. I don't see it as a zero-sum proposition, and it's the arguments that Bethsoft somehow ruined the franchise with FO3/FONV that I find really childish.

I'm not even sure I'd be interested in a Fallout MMO to be honest, regardless of who does it. I love the idea, the post-nuclear wasteland is a potentially brilliant setting, but I've never found an MMO I could stay interested in for more than a week or two, and 99 percent of the players online are people I'd never want to play a game with anyway.

Apr 28, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"In other words, Interplay intends to use the copyrighted Fallout artwork and backstory, which is undisputedly owned by Bethesda, to undermine the plot-line of Bethesda's award-winning Fallout 3 game," the filing continues. "Obviously, this is intended to harm Bethesda's reputation and that of the Fallout 3 game. Game players who follow the Fallout history will be confused and confounded by the sequence of events created by Interplay in its MMOG."
Good.

Fallout 3's plot was a horrid piece of shit and I would gladly welcome it being ret-conned out of existence. In terms of reputation for Fallout, the best thing Bethesda did was have Obsidian develop New Vegas.

And bringing back Fallout I guess. Even though Fallout 3 is a horrid Fallout game, its still a pretty good game in general. Wouldn't say they ruined the franchise though. At least they didn't, say, turn an old turn-based strategy game into a shooter set in the 50's that had NOTHING to do with the original games at all.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Wait - can someone really claim that undermining established continuity in a fictional setting is an offense worthy of a lawsuit?

That's baloney - and if it's not, let me be the first to suggest a class-action lawsuit against George Lucas.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
coldalarm said:

1. Interplay is not the Interplay we knew. Don't mourn what may happen to this Interplay - They're not who you think they are.
3. Interplay are in no shape to create, finance and run an MMO. The amount they're borrowing and the frequency of their near-bankruptcies should make that clear.
4. Interplay sold the rights to Bethesda, and in Interplay's hands the Fallout franchise would undoutably either be lost to the mists of time or fail in a non-spectacular fashion.
Sadly, i agree with this in its entirety. I'll always hold a soft spot in my heart for Interplay, but they're a zombie now. Shoot it in the head for god's sake.

darkbshadow

Nov 9, 2006
you know... I really don't care anymore. Cause quite frankly I do not want to see a Fallout MMo. Same reason I don't want to see a Oblivion MMo(Thank god those rumors were false and we are getting Skyrim instead).

Really with Interplays financial problems there is no way they could possibly make a good MMo. They just don't have the money to support it.

Yes what Bethesda is doing is a dick move, but I also think they are just trying to protect the Fallout franchise which they saved. I also have a feeling that even if they lose this case they are going to file another law suit just to keep the battle going until Interplay gives in.

soulmonarch

Oct 17, 2008
Bah, just die already Interplay.

So sick of these "cash grabs". (Not literally in this case. But trying to cash in on the series now that Bethesda has finally made is commercially viable again is an obvious ploy.)

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
How are they even making a MMO if they sold the rights of to Bethesda? If you sold the rights and IP you can fuck off its not yours anymore.

ameeb

Jun 9, 2011
This is kind of a strange/hilarious way of fighting Interplay. I can only imagine the poor judge who has to read over this stuff:

"Nuclear war...2161...Brotherhood of steel armor... wtf is this crap?!!"

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I'd say Bethesda is pretty much in the right here.

Interplay sold it's Fallout IP, it's not theirs any more.

And now they're making a Fallout game anyway? That's just lame and childish. They should have made a new IP if they wanted to make a post-apoc MMOG.

They shouldn't be surprised that if they whip out their junk Bethesda isn't going to bend over and take it. Bethesda will whip out it's own junk, and from where I'm standing it looks a lot bigger.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
coldalarm said:

I was going to write a lengthy response to this article, but you summed everything up perfectly in the first post. Kudos.

pliusmannn

Dec 4, 2008
well first, Bethesda has really good money in their hands, I bet they really have the super good idea in their mind, hell if they are fighting so desperately they maybe have the whole game, idk, I'm with Bethesda with this one, Interplay changed, also they haven't got the strenght fallout needs