Sony Launches Life with PlayStation

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Sony Launches Life with PlayStation

The PlayStation 3's news and weather service "Life with PlayStation" has been released over the PlayStation Network to compete with the Wii Channels.

Dubbed a "lifestyle service", Life With PlayStation delivers streaming weather reports from The Weather Channel with realistic cloud imagery provided by University of Wisconsin-Madison Space Science and Engineering Center and news via Google News displayed on a Google Earth-esque world satellite imagery from The Earth Television Network. Over 60 cities around the world will be covered by these information services.

Along with the Life With PlayStation update, Stanford's Folding@Home project received an upgrade with advanced simulation of protein fold. Users contributing to science through the program can now view rankings to compare their contributions against other gamers worldwide.

To install Life With PlayStation, click the Folding@Home button on the PS3's XrossMediaBar.

Source: Playstation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/09/17/start-your-%E2%80%9Clife-with-playstation%E2%80%9D/]

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
wooo so now PS3 owners can compete to see who wastes the most elecricity leaving their machine on while they do something else. Rankings for not playing a game is a new twist

BaronAsh

Feb 6, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.71908.741190 said:
Cousin_IT post=7.71908.741184 said:
wooo so now PS3 owners can compete to see who wastes the most elecricity leaving their machine on while they do something else. Rankings for not playing a game is a new twist
Actually, according to Wikipedia, the Ps3 is the most energy efficient machine that contributes to fighting cancer.
\

ROTFLCOPTER

dmalone569

Feb 13, 2008
Actually, according to Wikipedia, the Ps3 is the most energy efficient machine that contributes to fighting cancer.
You win 1 internet.

And yeah, its quite cool. Like foldung only with better visuals and news. Very cool even just to see real-time clouds over anywhere in the world

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Didn't I post this before -_-, this is only CNET, but:
Power consumption compared

TVs:
Average plasma: 350 watts
Average rear-projection: 212 watts
Average LCD: 213 watts

Other A/V gear:
PlayStation 3: 197 watts
Xbox360: 187 watts
Average PC: 78 watts
DirecTV HR20 DVR: 33 watts
Wii: 19 watts
Slingbox: 9 watts
I'll go check the cited sources on Wikipedia. Either way, the difference in only 10 watts, although it seems to vary from site to site, and I can't tell if some sites are biased towards the 360 or the PS3. The WII comes up top (read lowest waste) on all of them anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
I'm not sure but I am going to have to assume that you have misunderstood Indigo_Dingo. as he stated below.

Indigo_Dingo:

emphasis on. fighting cancer.

as you can see he wasn't saying the PS3 was the most energy efficient console, but rather the most efficient machine that contributes to fighting cancer.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
O... K... so, long lost sarcasm aside, when the Wii did something very similar, it was awesome... PS3 is a little too late to the party for me to be impressed yet again. "We do what everyone else does but with prettier graphics," seems to be the PS3's motto.

Oh, and that's not a flame, if I could afford to, I'd buy a PS3

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
bodyklok post=7.71908.741308 said:
I'm not sure but I am going to have to assume that you have misunderstood Indigo_Dingo. as he stated below.

Indigo_Dingo:

emphasis on. fighting cancer.

as you can see he wasn't saying the PS3 was the most energy efficient console, but rather the most efficient machine that contributes to fighting cancer.
PS3 fights cancer? o_0 Really? You mean it gives off powerful enough radiation to destroy cancerous cells?

Edit: My mistake, just read up on that folding at home thing. Still don't get what it's supposed to do...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Well, what is anyone complaining about? It was bound to happen eventually, I don't believe the 360 has any sortof service like this (correct me if i'm wrong).

It's just a nice touch to something, it isn't meant to be used seriously. I mean, how many people use the Wii's Weather and News channels? It's much to slow for me, when I could easily just click something on the internets. Similarly, I'm not really going to care to much about this addition, it's just going to be something to keep me occupied if i'm bored or something. Plus, I can watch the earth rotate in HD :D

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Can't you use a PC for folding@home or is this something different.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Folding started on PC, but most PC's use about 350 watts.

PS3 uses about a third of that while folding.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Aries_Split post=7.71908.742959 said:
Folding started on PC, but most PC's use about 350 watts.

PS3 uses about a third of that while folding.
The Dell Studio Hybrid does 27-30 Watts.

http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp?newsID=453

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
I still don't see what Life and Home has anything to do other than I waste of time.

Also, I have my doubts on PS3's canser fighting abilities.