Square-Enix: Eidos Saved Us at E3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Square-Enix: Eidos Saved Us at E3

Square-Enix says it had a fairly decent showing at this past E3 - or rather, its Eidos branch did.

There were dozens and dozens of new games on the E3 2011 show floor, but some of the most high-profile were at the Square-Enix booth: Deus Ex: Human Revolution [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110925-E3-Hitman-Absolution]. This may seem like good news for Square, but there's a caveat: All of these games are being developed by Eidos.

On the final day of the event, a Square-Enix Holdings executive, Koji Taguchi tweeted his disappointment at the apparent failure of the publisher's Japanese studios to live up to its Eidos teams. "Because we merged with Eidos and had games like Tomb Raider, Deus and Hitman, as a company we were able to keep face," he wrote. "But the decline in Japanese titles was almost humiliating. This has been a week where I worried daily about how we can fix this."

The Japanese games industry's lag behind the Western industry has been a topic of concern among Square-Enix's leadership for quite some time now. In 2008, Squeenix president Yoichi Wada said that he felt the Japanese industry would "resurrect" the Japanese industry [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20573], but that didn't quite pan out as hoped.

Square-Enix's only major Japanese game at E3 was Final Fantasy XIII-2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110918-E3-Final-Fantasy-XIII-2], and while the game is clearly attempting to address gamers' problems with its predecessor with a less linear experience and more towns to explore, one decent-looking game doesn't weigh in well against three well-received ones.

Of course, it's not like Square-Enix won't gladly accept the money from games like Deus Ex and Tomb Raider, but in a matter of pride and saving face, it's understandable that its executives would like its Japanese side to pick up the slack.

(Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/10/square_enix_japanese_showing/])

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Problem with Squeenix is that they never try anything new. The best Squeenix game to come out in recent years has to be The World Ends With You, which redefined the way we thought about JRPGs. Excellent story, soundtrack, gameplay, art style, although a bit repetitive, it stood out from its peers.

Yet although the critics loved it, Squeenix's marketing failed and its now a bargain bin gem.

If Squeenix wants to survive in the market it needs to branch out, if its JRPGs weren't so linear, confined and repetitive they would appeal to a lot more western gamers.

I say 'its' because this is a Squeenix phenomenon, Atlus are much different.They lack the stranglehold on the Western market in which Squeenix is well established but their JRPGs are much different to Squeenix. However they do have a niche appeal, if you don't like difficult games with anime art styles you won't find what you're looking for. However they are exploring new boundaries and with the success of SMT Devil Survivor will be looking to get their foot in the door.

'Course this isn't just a JRPG problem, many companies *cough*Activision*cough* churn out repetitive titles in their comfort zone but at least they have DLC and multiplayer for replay value, the linearity of JRPGs is choking them to death.

Edit: I should clarify with TWEWY, watch the ZP episode if you want a taste, also having a protaganist who just doesn't give a shit is a bonus. There's plenty to talk about but I'm not going to review it using a Nokia.

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010
Did they really think just because they showed 13-2 everyone was going to go nuts over it?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Azurian said:
Did they really think just because they showed 13-2 everyone was going to go nuts over it?
Well, we all went ga-ga over X2 didn't we?
*massive sarcasm*

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Squeenix really needs to move away from classic JRPGs, which are getting really outdated. Nothing has changed. Try to appeal to a Western market; go after the Bethesda/Bioware/CDProjekt fanbase. Seriously, move forward, not sideways.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
The Japanese industry just got lazy and went stale.
AAA Western Developers are heading down the same tragic road at the moment, though they seem to have enough bright sparks every so often that it stays afloat.

At least, that is how it appears to me, someone looking on from the outside, via game news sites.
The truth is probably more complex, as with most things.

Eidos did indeed have a good line up. I'm looking forward to both Deus Ex and Tomb Raider, and I've never played previous games in those respective franchises.

XIII-2? That looked utterly pathetic. Copy-paste from the first game and filled with even more one dimensional cliches. Joy of joys.
They've lost the talent and forgotten what it was that made Final Fantasy special.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
The thing is the main appeal RPGs have over other genres is usually the story, Western ones generally give at least some superficial choice to the player of how the story events transpire while most JRPGs it is basically a chore of doing random battles or something like random battles if they were even fun are used so much to drag things on that the game just gets dull. While JRPGs keep trying to copy the aspects of WRPGs that may actually be worst than the JRPGs, such as combat (FF12) and setting/aesthetics. (Dragon's Dogma). To clarify what I mean, my favorite game is Planescape: Torment which even though has lackluster combat, it's setting is different and aesthetics are something different form most games while still having the aspects that make WRPGs work such as choices in the game. (funnily enough Planescape: Torment actually uses a D and D setting. lol) (not sure if Planescape: Torment was a commercial success but the game is fucking awesome so I don't give a shit.)

New and innovative also isn't enough. Nier probably one of the most amazing games ever made and released this generation didn't do that well. But to really get into the game it takes a while and I think that perhaps some of the flaws in the game were done on purpose. Also, even if that was the case some parts of the game were boring. The key is simply that if the player ever is doing the same thing over and over again and maybe will find it boring DON'T DO IT. That would help JRPGs more than anything else.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
The problems that XIII-2 faces (personal opinons of XIII aside) the -2 reminds people of X-2 which does not help, and it seems a whole lot like a cookie cutter of the first game. I personally get a strong case of "why should I care about these new characters?"

On a completely different note, Deus Ex, shut up and take my money.
Tomb Raider looks good as well.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
There are elements used in the FF series, which I think it can be agreed upon by a fair number of us, that are outdated. Thing is, with all the new things they say they do differently from title to title, they still keep those same elements largely unchanged. Having not played too many FF games (FF8 and 10 are the only ones I completed), I cant say for sure which elements are the ones needed removed or at least updated, but I can just tell they're there, somewhere.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
They're actually admitting it? Wow, I thought they'd never actually say that Eidos saved their publisher rear.

It's true though, when's the last time Square-Enix just hit one out of the park?

EDIT: Gosh, I hate being right about this.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Sevre said:
Problem with Squeenix is that they never try anything new. The best Squeenix game to come out in recent years has to be The World Ends With You, which redefined the way we thought about JRPGs. Excellent story, soundtrack, gameplay, art style, although a bit repetitive, it stood out from its peers.

Yet although the critics loved it, Squeenix's marketing failed and its now a bargain bin gem.

If Squeenix wants to survive in the market it needs to branch out, if its JRPGs weren't so linear, confined and repetitive they would appeal to a lot more western gamers.

I say 'its' because this is a Squeenix phenomenon, Atlus are much different.They lack the stranglehold on the Western market in which Squeenix is well established but their JRPGs are much different to Squeenix. However they do have a niche appeal, if you don't like difficult games with anime art styles you won't find what you're looking for. However they are exploring new boundaries and with the success of SMT Devil Survivor will be looking to get their foot in the door.

'Course this isn't just a JRPG problem, many companies *cough*Activision*cough* churn out repetitive titles in their comfort zone but at least they have DLC and multiplayer for replay value, the linearity of JRPGs is choking them to death.

Edit: I should clarify with TWEWY, watch the ZP episode if you want a taste, also having a protaganist who just doesn't give a shit is a bonus. There's plenty to talk about but I'm not going to review it using a Nokia.
Omnific One said:
Squeenix really needs to move away from classic JRPGs, which are getting really outdated. Nothing has changed. Try to appeal to a Western market; go after the Bethesda/Bioware/CDProjekt fanbase. Seriously, move forward, not sideways.
You guys honestly think that they're in trouble because they don't do anything new? Final Fantasy XIII was a game that did a lot of things differently, and it probably got the most complaints out of any recent Final Fantasy. I don't think anyone would mind if Square Enix constantly pushed out Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics like games every few years.

Not that I particularly mind though, because I still like most of Square Enix's games.
Canadish said:
3/10 I replied and thought you were serious for a second.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
One cannot hope for FFXIII to revive the interest in Japanese games when you do the following:

-Put cash before ambition (not a fair thing to say, considering the gamble but it's the elephant in the room.)
-Ignore your research
-Know that Atlus has been one-upping your stories for some time now
-Make a serious, SPACIOUS, cliche-free FFXII
-Rely on the DIE.HARD. fans to love and defend the game no matter how much tar there is.

And make a game like XIII anyways. If you want to lead rather than follow, Enix, you're going to have to take risks again. Not stupid moves, but risks. Final Fantasy XIII's plot was outright dry up until the final hour...in which many of us felt like you chose a random spot to end the plot. It also helps that it seems like you gave potentially cool bosses a cheap death before we could even fight them. And in some cases, we did fight them, but they were in lame machines? Oh, and finally, give the bad guys more screen time! That's kinda how we learn to care about what happens in the story.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Defense said:
You guys honestly think that they're in trouble because they don't do anything new? Final Fantasy XIII was a game that did a lot of things differently, and it probably got the most complaints out of any recent Final Fantasy.
Define "differently".

Because where you see it as "great risks that prove they're not afraid" I see it as:

"They shot themselves in the foot by taking the gamble of backstepping both the series and the genre in terms of plot and characterization because they were afraid to mature the game a bit."

DRAKENGARD SPOILERS:
You know what they used to greenlight back in the good ole' days? Twin brothers killing their twin sisters, babies coming down from the sky and mass killing party members, sisters killing themselves, and even took on heavy topics like incest. <--THAT was risky. Not Final Fantasy for sure, but it was still under Enix/Square. You know what they're doing now?

END SPOILERS

Having a whiney teen complaining on how he can't take revenge on his mom because Snow is apparently too freaking intimidating.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
ProjectTrinity said:
You know what they used to greenlight back in the good ole' days? Twin brothers killing their twin sisters, babies coming down from the sky and mass killing party members, sisters killing themselves, and even took on heavy topics like incest. <--THAT was risky. Not Final Fantasy for sure, but it was still under Enix/Square.
What game are you talking about exactly? Cause it sounded like I missed one hella awesome game...

panosbouk

Feb 28, 2011
Defense said:
Sevre said:

Omnific One said:
You guys honestly think that they're in trouble because they don't do anything new? Final Fantasy XIII was a game that did a lot of things differently, and it probably got the most complaints out of any recent Final Fantasy. I don't think anyone would mind if Square Enix constantly pushed out Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics like games every few years.

Not that I particularly mind though, because I still like most of Square Enix's games.
Canadish said:
Yeah they do different things but that doesn't mean that all changes are good. FFXII for example had for it's battle the gambit system. The exact same was in Dragon Age: Origins. Now witch one of the two worked out the best?

Do different things is always welcome but you have to do it right.

P.S As I saw in FFXIII-2 there was Q.T.E in battles. Now this is a good change for an RPG?

chibivash

Apr 2, 2010
all i have to say is this. where is vs XIII? have they given up on it or will it be released at some point? it was supposed to have more exploration and show more action/rpg elements, like kingdom hearts. that game could have helped their side on E3.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Defense said:
Sevre said:

Omnific One said:

Canadish said:
I like them too but that's not going to bring the cash in. They're trying to appeal to the same people, and in the process they're alienating a potential fanbase by being intransigent and filling old stereotypes. Just because the FF fans like it doesn't mean it'll sell well, you need universal appeal in the modern market, and with financial expenses as high as Squeenix, they only have themselves to blame for being redundant.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
ProjectTrinity said:
Defense said:
You guys honestly think that they're in trouble because they don't do anything new? Final Fantasy XIII was a game that did a lot of things differently, and it probably got the most complaints out of any recent Final Fantasy.
Define "differently".

Because where you see it as "great risks that prove they're not afraid" I see it as:

"They shot themselves in the foot by taking the gamble of backstepping both the series and the genre in terms of plot and characterization because they were afraid to mature the game a bit."

You know what they used to greenlight back in the good ole' days? Twin brothers killing their twin sisters, babies coming down from the sky and mass killing party members, sisters killing themselves, and even took on heavy topics like incest. <--THAT was risky. Not Final Fantasy for sure, but it was still under Enix/Square. You know what they're doing now?

Having a whiney teen complaining on how he can't take revenge on his mom because Snow is apparently too freaking intimidating.
That's still different. I never said that extreme linearity was a good idea(and although linearity did make sense in the plot, they should've gave some room to breathe), I just said different.

By the way. Mature&#8800;Risky. Just because it doesn't have pointless twin killing doesn't mean it's LocoRoco. (But I'm still interested now. What game are you referring to?)

panosbouk said:
Do different things is always welcome but you have to do it right.

P.S As I saw in FFXIII-2 there was Q.T.E in battles. Now this is a good change for an RPG?
If it's done right, then yes actually. It's not like Resident Evil 4 where you have to press buttons immediately or else you die(you just get a noticeable amount of damage), and it's a bit like God of War where you expect the QTEs but still have to be on your feet.

Sevre said:
I like them too but that's not going to bring the cash in. They're trying to appeal to the same people, and in the process they're alienating a potential fanbase by being intransigent and filling old stereotypes. Just because the FF fans like it doesn't mean it'll sell well, you need universal appeal in the modern market, and with financial expenses as high as Squeenix, they only have themselves to blame for being redundant.
Final Fantasy XIII didn't feel at all like it was supposed to appeal to fans. In fact, I do believe that Call of Duty was an inspiration when developing Final Fantasy XIII.