Lulzsec Hacks Bethesda

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Lulzsec Hacks Bethesda

Bethesda Softworks has confirmed that it suffered an "unlawful intrusion" of its websites over the weekend but says that no personal information or financial data was lost.

The Lulzboat sure does get around. Its latest port of call was none other than Elder Scrolls [http:] games, which confirmed earlier today that it had indeed been attacked by the suddenly-famous hacker group.

"Over the past weekend, a hacker group attempted an unlawful intrusion of our websites to gain access to data," the company revealed on the Brink [http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/06/13/please-read-hack-attempts-against-our-websites-and-forums/] players."

"We regret any inconvenience that these attacks on us cause for you," the statement concluded. "These attacks will be evaluated to determine if there are any additional protections we might take that would be prudent."

Why did Bethesda get off comparatively lightly in this attack? Better preparedness brought about by the spate of recent attacks against game companies is one possible explanation but another factor might simply be that the Lulzsec hackers are fans of Bethsoft games.

"Please find enclosed everything we took, excluding one thing - 200,000+ Brink users. We actually like this company and would like for them to speed up the production of Skyrim, so we'll give them one less thing to worry about," the group explained in a Pastebin description [http://pastebin.com/i5M0LB58] of the attack. "You're welcome!"

War-hamster

Apr 5, 2010
LoL, by the way they acted one would think they managed to download skyrim itself.

Turns out all they got was some user and admin passwords that are no doubt changed by now.

Weak, Nubz boat, very weak.

I am dissapoint

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
If they're such fans, why bother? Seriously, there's bigger fish to fry if they're trying to raise awareness of online security or something like that. This seems kinda like a waste of time to me.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
We actually like this company and would like for them to speed up the production of Skyrim
And so they proceed to hack their system. This would seem counter productive, right? I realize that they most likely have different departments developing the game and maintaining their network, but who knows what kind of pandemonium is going on over there over the breach.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
They want them to speed up the production of Skyrim? Get the fuck off their site and give them less to worry about then. >.<

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I can only hope these people will eventually grow out of their infantile desire to screw innocent people over. That, or they all get arrested first.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
So they hacked a site of a company they like because they thought it'd be funny?
Am I just missing the joke or are these people really this stupid?

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
If we speed up the production of Skyrim, the game will come out unfinished with bugs.

When you do things for the "lulz", there's going to be consequences at some point.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
If they're such fans, why bother?
Given that this "attack" didn't do much in actual damage, I would say that the goal of this attack was to alert Bethesda to the problems with their security, and based on Bethesda's response ("These attacks will be evaluated to determine if there are any additional protections we might take that would be prudent.") they actually get the point.

If you're going to give what amounts to a friendly, if rude, reminder of security problems, would you rather it benefit a company you like? or one you hate?

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Bethesda got off lightly because LulzSec aren't actually extremely competent hackers. Surprise surprise.

The more places they visit, the sooner the law catches up. Personally, I'm excited to see these arrogant idiots have their souls crushed by the law.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
They need to put these assholes out of their pitiful existance already. They are doing nothing but causing problems for everyone. Nothing but retarded idiots who happen to be good with computers. Take the computers away from them, and I guarantee they wouldn't be able to survive in the world. I'm sorry... I'm just really pissed at them because they happened to hack a company they love. Who the fuck is stupid enough to do that!?

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
I don't always agree with these tools, but dammit if I don't laugh my ass off whenever I see that image/text of their boat.

"The luuuuuuuulz booooooooat..."

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Between this and their attempt to hack Nintendo (they're even using the same excuse), maybe we're giving LulzSec a little too much credit...

METC

Mar 21, 2009
If they really thought this would speed up the development process of Skyrim, then they're even more of morons than I suspected.