Gears of War Not Coming to PS3 Anytime Soon, Says CliffyB

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gears of War Not Coming to PS3 Anytime Soon, Says CliffyB

The Gears of War franchise could go multiplatform, says Bleszinski, but it isn't going to just yet.

Sony fans who was hoping that they might soon get to play Gears of War on their PS3s will have a long wait on their hands, because despite what Epic president Mike Capps said about wanting to see the series on other consoles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108245-Epic-Microsoft-Doesnt-Own-Gears-of-War ], creative director Cliff Bleszinski says that PS3 owners shouldn't hold their breath.

"I would say in the foreseeable future there's zero chance of Gears of War being on the PlayStation 3," Bleszinski said. He added that Epic had a good thing going with Microsoft, adding that the platform holder was a great partner to the studio. He brushed aside Capps' comments about the series, saying that it was something that made a good news story, but wasn't something that was actually going to happen. "It's one of those things that would be exciting news," he said. "Hopefully DualShock would get tweaked a little bit, but anyway, enough about that."

He also made it clear that there was more Gears games to come, and that Gears 3 simply represented the end of the current trilogy. While that might not seem like much of a surprise - Epic has already expanded Gears universe to include books and graphic novels, and a movie is in development, and clearly has more long-term plans for the franchise - Bleszinski did indicate that he was tired of being asked the question.

Gears of War 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-3-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H79C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308155868&sr=8-1] comes out for Xbox 360 on September 20th.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ps3-has-zero-chance-of-getting-gears-of-war-says-bleszinski/]

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Sony fans who was hoping that they might soon get to play Gears of War on their PS3s will have a long weight on their hands
Wait. Little typo

OT: No biggie. Uncharted satisfies my cover-based shooting needs just fine.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Microsoft is doing pretty well to give them incentive to not go, hooking them up with dedicated servers and whatnot.

I have to agree that Uncharted more than satisfies cover-based shooting on the PS3 for me.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Was this supposed to be coming to ps3? And more importantly did the games imprive after the first one, because popup shooting is boring as hell. I played the first one and aside from getting chased by that baddie you couldnt kill (scary due to crap camera) game was forgetable.

X-07

Nov 28, 2009
If Mass Effect 2 taught us anything, it's that fanboys can talk crap all they want. At the end of the day if they get to play they are going to shut up, eat their words, and play.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
Gears of war was ok I really only liked the coop aspect as so many games are missing split screen and local coop. I really dont care that much about the game, but might get it.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
I would simply state 'And?' if it wasn't for the post-length rule.
But i agree with these guys- Uncharted satisfies all my manly cover-based shooting needs, with added extras!
Plus without biceps the size of a RHINO.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
X-07 said:
If Mass Effect 2 taught us anything, it's that fanboys can talk crap all they want. At the end of the day if they get to play they are going to shut up, eat their words, and play.
What? No. It taught us that fanboys are going to go "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WE GOT UR EXCLUSIVE" and never shut up about it. I still see PS3 fanboys acting like it was some huge victory and acting like 360 owners should feel bad.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
Meh, I would throw my two cents in if I didn't give two shits about the Gears of War series. I played the first one and absolutely hated it. But I'd say at this point, Microsoft needs all of the exclusives they can get since they've lost most of them, it seems.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
mjc0961 said:
X-07 said:
What? No. It taught us that fanboys are going to go "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WE GOT UR EXCLUSIVE" and never shut up about it. I still see PS3 fanboys acting like it was some huge victory and acting like 360 owners should feel bad.
Wrong. When you hear fanboys screaming for years about their awesome exclusive title that (read mass effect 1 and 2) then when it suddenly goes crossplatform with some bonus stuff to really get the people who have been taunted into the game. Its just hilarious to throw it in the fanboys faces.

It doesnt take a mean your a fanboy to laugh at the hilarious fall from the highhorse losing an exclusive is for fanboys.

Sounds like your only getting mad at the ps3 guys....hmmm

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Cliffy B has made a good choice here. Gears has been exclusive to XBox (and PC for the first I suppose) since day one. During this time PS3 fans have worked up a hate for the series, in my group of friends and collegues that is.

Releasing GoW on the PS3 would either bomb or, like they said, cost them their deal with Microsoft. Also the fact that almost EVERY thread on the internet will be how Sony got an Xbox exclusive.

I love the Gears series and I'm looking forward to see how they conclude this storyline.

Talking about multi platiform titles though, I would love a chance to play God of War. Just sayin'...

Jul 11, 2008
Gears of War 3 is coming out this year... They do realize that if they suddenly start porting these games to the PS3, even if it's by like, 2013, by that time, nobody's gonna care. Heck, if they said they were only porting Gears of War 1, I don't think very many people would care anymore.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
I think the majority of PS3 people dont really care. Some people might but yeah
I couldn't care less tbh

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
HankMan2.0 said:
So I guess this gear is stuck in neutral?
*Bidum tish*

On topic though, I really hate it when developers go exclusive. I think it would be better to allow people to actually enjoy your game. You could probably make more money doing it too.