Blast Stuff to Make Music in Indie Shooter Planck

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Blast Stuff to Make Music in Indie Shooter Planck

Like many music games, Planck is about creating a polyphony of sound. Unlike many music games, you need to shoot stuff to do it.

Planck, an indie game from developer Shadegrown Games [http://www.shadegrowngames.com/], wants to reinvent the music-game genre by making you shoot stuff. It's not the first time that somebody has thought to spice up rhythm games by adding a shooting mechanic - most notable is perhaps the loved Rez, but what seems cool about Planck is the organic way it all comes together depending on what you shoot.

The game itself plays like a typical front-scrolling shooter, but every time you hit the little "motes" that inhabit the world with energy, they explode and release the trapped sound within. The song itself is predetermined, it seems, but whether you destroy certain motes or not will affect how the game sounds.

"I think Planck makes a meaningful contribution to the future of music games. We see it as the natural follow-up to titles that rely solely on timed button presses meant to match pre-recorded, licensed music content," said Planck project lead and Shadegrown founder Matthew Burns in a press release that not-so-subtly took a little dig at the onetime popularity of games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

"There's so much yet to explore where music and gameplay meet; it's one of the most exciting areas you could be working in as a developer right now. We can't wait to see what gamers make of it."

If you're wondering how Planck works, there's a 12-minute developer walkthrough [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pef6TEIgaJQ&feature=related] here, though it's more than half a year old and some stuff might have changed since then.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Impressive. I am interested. Probably won't get around to playing it, but it's very, very cool.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Hm, right around when Child of Eden launches too... looks like Rez and Amplitude (or possibly Audiosurf) got spliced up, and someone dropped some classic vertical shmup in there too. Classic shmup, that is, not danmaku/Touhou/Ikaruga flavour shmup.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
reminds me of audiosurf. would be totally awesome if we could upload our own music into this.

these captcha's are becoming ridiculous. I'm pretty sure you can make a picture of letters that are actualy legible.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
While it looks quite different, the way you're describing how it interacts with music brings to mind Bit.Trip Beat.

Which does play around with sound to quite an extent, though is perhaps more reflective of a highly abstract version of guitar hero...

Except there's a lot of odd behaviour from the various coloured dots that you can predict, so it's more than just memorizing the exact sequence. (though that helps a lot).

The bosses also break the pattern....

But, anyway... That's not quite like this, even if I'm reminded of it.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
I have to buy that at release. Just to support the idea of it, damn it. That can be summed up in one word, though, I believe; WANT!

Setsuri21

Nov 30, 2009
This looks amazing. Makes me want to dust off the old time machine so I can get it now instead of waiting. But, patience is a virtue, I suppose...

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Looks neat, I'd like to try it out.
But the thing is, i don't really like the end part of that song-thingy.
Not sure, but i think them kids these days call it "dub-step". Suspicious, i tell ye!
Anyways, hope there's other music, too.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Jeff Minter has to be involved in this somehow, or he's going to be very upset.
No way. I can actually tell what's going on in the video. If he were involved in any way, it would be such a clusterfuck of trippy effects that my brain would be oozing out my ears just trying to figure out what happened.

If any specific person comes to mind for me, it's Jonathan Mak, because it seems like it's basically Everyday Shooter redone as a vertical shmup instead of a dual-stick shooter.

Feb 13, 2008
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
No way. I can actually tell what's going on in the video. If he were involved in any way, it would be such a clusterfuck of trippy effects that my brain would be oozing out my ears just trying to figure out what happened.
Don't you knock the Hairy Yak or I'll attack you with floating rizla papers and sheep sound effects!

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Don't you knock the Hairy Yak or I'll attack you with floating rizla papers and sheep sound effects!
I actually own and like a few of his games. I only really have a problem with some of the newer ones, where the effects have gotten truly ridiculous at times. I just can't get into stuff like Space Giraffe and Gridrunner Revolution, but Tempest 2000 will always continue to be awesome.