Next Class?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Next Class?

It's not just comic books that get retconned, sometimes comic book movies do too.

Read Full Article

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Very good points. I would love to see Deadpool feature as a prominent character in a Marvel movie. I may not like Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan, but his chipper, sarcastic acting method is perfect for Deadpool. He just needs a decent script.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
i always feel sorry for Ryan Reynolds these days. He is a person who can do almost any hero you want him to. heck i think he could have done Hal Jordan. But twice now he's been mishandled by his superiors and his character's have been made by those ashamed of their origins yet tried to stuff as much continuity from those origins as they can into the movies.

Who knows maybe third times the charm?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
funniest thing for a Deadpool movie: have Fury show up and then have Deapool literally punch him out of the frame saying "Keep your Avengers shit the FUCK outta my film!". The Deadpool movie should actually be a parody slamming on the stupid superhero and comic cliches that have been rampant in modern times as well as the past.

RabidShihTzu23

Mar 11, 2011
I read a really awesome rumor about the Deadpool script, written by the Zombieland guys, that would help with fixing the character. Essentially in the deadpool movie, he has seen Wolverine and complains about the way they screwed up his character.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
RabidShihTzu23 said:
I read a really awesome rumor about the Deadpool script, written by the Zombieland guys, that would help with fixing the character. Essentially in the deadpool movie, he has seen Wolverine and complains about the way they screwed up his character.
Deadpool is a f*cking hard character to work with since different authors made different approaches with him. His identity is unknown (Alternating between the known Wade Wilson, and a clone - his true identity is unknown because of different authors), and his entire history is one giant clusterf*ck .The origins of his name revolve around a sadist prison guard, his powers due to cancer and wolverine. Read it, that shit is crazy.
And if you didn't pick it up earlier, I would buy three tickets to see that movie. Four times.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Need. Deadpool. Movie. Now.

Get on it Marvel. Seriously, fucking do it! I will promise to see it enough times for you to make a profit on it just in case no-one else does if I have to.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I agreed with you the moment his casting was announced, Bob: Reynolds would be perfect as Deadpool. His five minutes onscreen was the only good thing about the Wolverine movie. I just hope Green Lantern doesn't sink Deadpool from the get-go.

Who has the rights to Deadpool, anyway? Fox, or is he back in Marvel/Disney's hands?

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
All these ideas about a Deadpool movie sound awful.

Also, I wouldn't be soo excited about the inconsistencies to X3 and Xo:W Bob, as there are also inconsistencies with X1 and X2. I think it is gonna be best for everyone if we just let each movie stand on it's own merits, independent of the others.

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
And heck, maybe all the "space stuff" oughtn't be as verboten as it once was.
I really hope this doesn't happen. The whole reason (well, one of the reasons) I prefer comic movies to the actual books is because they tend to strip the characters and stories back to their essentials. This is also why I'm not particularly looking forward to the Avengers movie.

As for whether First Class invalidates anything that's come before- honestly, it's so vastly superior to the other X Men films I'd prefer them to just treat it as a complete reboot and continue from where it left off as if the first four movies never happened.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Good ideas, but I will disagree a little about the ending of First Class. I felt they ended the alliance between Charles and Erik way too soon. Even ignoring some of the other movies, those two should have been friends for years, making the break between them that much more dramatic. Instead, they knew each other for what, a few months at best, before going their separate ways? Didn't really carry the emotional impact it could have. I would have rather seen this movie sow the seeds for their "breakup" and left the actual event to a sequel.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Agreed! I've been preaching this exact same thing to my friends. I said they should have done a different movie first, and made the events of First Class the second movie. We find out about Erik, even have him hunting down the Nazis, but he doesn't find and confront Shaw until the second film.

I like this movie, but I think they tried to cover/setup too much in a single film.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
@Tom Soltis · "I failed to see where X-Men first class deletes the Wolverine moive. The whole thing about seeing Xavier walking in that movie could be him playing with the viewers mind since we know he is able to do that."

- In the Wolverine movie, Wolverine rescues Emma Frost, the young girl that turns her skin to diamonds. She is Wolverine's girlfriend's sister. He rescued her when she was a teen, and she joined Professor X at the end of the movie.

In first class, Professor X didn't know other mutants existed until he read Moira's mind and witnessed her memory of Emma Frost turning to diamond inside the Hellfire club. According to the Wolverine movie, Professor X knew her when she was a teen. According to first class, he didn't meet her until she was an adult.

MANIFESTER

Sep 14, 2009
As much as I love Deadpool I would be cautious about how to do a movie. He is a funny character yes, but his most defining feature of breaking the 4th wall is just a difficult thing to write for. Hell, I can only think of a handful of movies and TV shows that have attempted it and fewer that have done it successfully. He worked well in Wolverine just because he was the comic relief....for 5 minutes. I could be happy with him being the comic relief again. I am curious how they would market a Deadpool movie too.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Crimson_Dragoon said:
Good ideas, but I will disagree a little about the ending of First Class. I felt they ended the alliance between Charles and Erik way too soon. Even ignoring some of the other movies, those two should have been friends for years, making the break between them that much more dramatic. Instead, they knew each other for what, a few months at best, before going their separate ways? Didn't really carry the emotional impact it could have. I would have rather seen this movie sow the seeds for their "breakup" and left the actual event to a sequel.
My first thought after watching First Class was "Why didn't they set it up for a sequal?" While I thought the ending was great and the paralyzing of Charles to be a masterstroke, I also think it came a film too soon. They should have finished it with them still friends, but less trusting and Magneto hiding the Helmet (yes it deserves the capital) and a second film having an event happen which causes a split as they go about solving it in their own way. An oppotunity wasted, but hopefully there will still be a sequal as the cast was great and deseve more work.

And speaking of deserving more work, someone sign Ryan Reynolds up for a Deadpool film now! Never read the comics, but the character sounds fun and Mr Reynolds really needs more exposure. He's been stuck in Rom-Com land for far too long.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
Aiddon said:
funniest thing for a Deadpool movie: have Fury show up and then have Deapool literally punch him out of the frame saying "Keep your Avengers shit the FUCK outta my film!".
[clapping] Graate!

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Angel in the sequel.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
So according to IMDB, X-Men FC is now officially a reboot. They probably kept as much intact as possible not to confuse people, but sometimes during production they decided not to make this a prequel, thus not being bound to fit the script with any of the other movies. There are actually a few continuity errors from the first to movies to, which seems to support this.
Frankly, I support this. This means they can bring back the classic characters sooner, and not having to fit another movie in continuity with both future and past events.
But great article otherwise. However, while I don't have anything against them introducing magic, non X-men superheroes should stay away. It just gets weird if everyone hates mutants but love spiderman for some reason.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I definitely think there'll be a sequel to FC, but I'm hoping (and doubting) that it's gonna ignore all the other movies as well and make it's own continuity. I'm hoping for all the stuff you mentioned, as well as all 3 Summers brothers.
And we need a deadpool movie!

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
MovieBob said:
MovieBob: Next Class?

It's not just comic books that get retconned, sometimes comic book movies do too.

Read Full Article
Wouldn't it be awesome if Deadpool starts his movie by saying "You know that other movie I was in? Yeah thats not how it went" then pan to Deadpool showing how awesome he is and beat up Wolverine?

We all know Deadpools Ego could do that :p