Nintendo CEO: Nobody Rides For Free

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nintendo CEO: Nobody Rides For Free

Regardless of what others are doing in the free-to-play market, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata says his company is simply not interested in offering games at no charge.

You hear a lot of game company executives these days talk about the benefits of a free-to-play pricing model. One person you won't hear such talk from, however, is Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata, who reiterated his AllThingsD [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108581-Nintendo-Praises-Independents-Devalues-Garage-Developers].

"I'm not interested in offering software for free of charge. That's because I myself am one of the game developers, who in the future wants to make efforts so the value of the software will be appreciated by the consumers," Iwata said.

"If we are going to destroy the value of the game software - once we have done so, it's a difficult job to recover from that situation," he continued. "There are great examples of advertising and doing the microtransactions, and several companies who have come up with that kind of system. But on the other hand, if you ask me, is this the system that can be sustained for the long time? I don't know the answer. And, my point is that I'm not willing to go that direction, as well."

Rather than simply following the pack into "freemium" territory, Iwata said Nintendo wants to pursue its own vision to create something "unique and unprecedented." What that might be is a mystery, but it's definitely not super-cheap mobile and social games.

"If you say mobile and social games, why don't you do the same, I say because they are already doing it and we aren't doing the same," he said. "If you say freemium is somewhere you can spur new revenue, once again, the answer is the same. Just because many other people are thinking that way, we aren't thinking that way."

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Not every company needs to chase the newest trends in business. Sometimes there's room for the old and new.

After all, I'd hate to see all games follow the free-to-play MMO route. Wouldn't that be just weird and disappointing?

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Good for Nintendo.

Facebook games aren't games at all, at least on the level of games in this decade or the last two. All it's done is degraded progression of graphics, physics, and other technology for simpleminded bunk.

I honestly thought Nintendo was going that route with it's last 2 game systems being child-like in nature and far behind the other generations, but then with the Wii-U, it looks like their finally pulling their heads out of their arse and moving forward far infront of the competition.

Feb 13, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
I really don't know how to feel about this. Good for them I guess? More money for them?
Sort of in the same boat.

You don't want to follow the market, good for you...but you also don't want to follow the market...

Gah...If everyone is running off a cliff then it's a bad idea to join in, but if they're going to get a free bag of money - it's quite a good idea.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
He is right in that if you get something for free, you value it less.

As for everything else, let's just see how it works out for them.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Yeah, Nintendo doesn't want to follow the pack, it wants to create something "unique and unprecedented", like... Another Super Mario game!

Seriously, Nintendo is the only company that makes Sony look like a charity organization.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
"Ok, so you're not going free-to-play.......so what ARE you going to do?" - my thoughts on this.
Plus, considering they're offering some free games, it's nice to see they won't be completely avoiding free stuff.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
On the one hand, they are trying to make their own future.

On the other hand, they are fighting against the trends, as explained in that Extra Credit's episode.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
believer258 said:
Yay!

Now go make a new M-rated IP. I know you can do it, Nintendo, you can make a really good mature game! I think...

Or at least a new IP of some sort.
My thoughts exactly on the matter, which is also the biggest reason I completely avoided paying for the Wii this generation.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
Deathfish15 said:
Good for Nintendo.

Facebook games aren't games at all, at least on the level of games in this decade or the last two. All it's done is degraded progression of graphics, physics, and other technology for simpleminded bunk.

I honestly thought Nintendo was going that route with it's last 2 game systems being child-like in nature and far behind the other generations, but then with the Wii-U, it looks like their finally pulling their heads out of their arse and moving forward far infront of the competition.
Because graphics and physics make games great? Here I thought fun gameplay was the cornerstone of a great gaming experience.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Zulnam said:
Yeah, Nintendo doesn't want to follow the pack, it wants to create something "unique and unprecedented", like... Another Super Mario game!

Seriously, Nintendo is the only company that makes Sony look like a charity organization.
How is Sony any less money-grabbing than Nintendo? They both charge for console, games, controllers, add-ons etc...

OT: Good for Nintendo, I have yet to find a free-to-play game that comes anywhere near the quality of a retail game, I have no qualms about paying a reasonable sum of money in exchange for a good complete game.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Awesome. Once you start lowering the price, the only way you can go from there is even lower. If developers/publishers start losing money from the low prices, they can't just bump them back up to a regular price without massive consumer backlash.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Jumwa said:
Not every company needs to chase the newest trends in business. Sometimes there's room for the old and new.

After all, I'd hate to see all games follow the free-to-play MMO route. Wouldn't that be just weird and disappointing?
If you ask me, the only games that should the the F2P route are the F2P MMOs. Though Im still confused about what Nintendo's plan is.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
With a rabid an loyal fanbase you really don't haveto give anything for free, in fact you can sell them shovel-ware at very high prices.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
So, for Iwata, where the money is coming from, and the effort and quality of work that produced the money, is what's important. That is...amazing, actually. And it's not like most in-house Nintendo titles aren't extremely well done. Even Wii Music, for all it's dirty casual appeal to the consistent, gaming-lifestyle kind of gamer, it was still really well done. In conjunction with the news of the Wii U, as silly a name as that is, it really reminds me that they are again here for that 'hardcore' gamer, not the social site 10-minutes-per-day audience. Nothing wrong with that audience, of course, but since it's not their focus, they don't have to hook them up. Fascinating.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
I'm really starting to like Nintendo less and less. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the way they've been acting towards garage game makers and the way they're treating their new system just seem kinda weird to me.