Fox Joins MMO Biz With Family Guy Online

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Fox Joins MMO Biz With Family Guy Online

In what I'm hoping is a baffling joke, Fox has unveiled plans to launch a massively multiplayer online game based on animated sitcom Family Guy.

In case you've somehow avoided the show for the last decade, Family Guy is an animated pastiche of sitcom cliches, obscure references to the 1980s and cast members from other, now-defunct Fox programs.

So far, almost nothing is known of Family Guy Online. In truth, the game's existence as of now is contained entirely within the newly-launched Family Guy Online [http://www.familyguyonline.com/] website.

The site asks fans to register for a chance to join an upcoming beta test of the game, though offers no dates for when this beta test will take place. Likewise, the closest the site gets to throwing fans a release date is the nebulous "coming soon."

By contrast, the game's Facebook site claims Family Guy Online will appear in "Fall 2011," so that's something at least.

Family Guy aficionados may recall that this is not the first time Fox's most recent attempt to recreate the success of The Simpsons has entered the virtual world. In 2006, a game based on the series was released for the PlayStation 2, original Xbox and PSP. The Xbox iteration, which is apparently the best version of the game, currently commands a 53/100 rating among professional gaming critics on Metacritic.

"Maybe those poor scores are the result of a bad developer," I hear the Internet shouting. That's entirely possible. Developer High Voltage Software has never created a game that one might consider a "classic." So who is handling development on Family Guy Online?

I wish I had an answer for you, but that's a mystery. Nowhere does Fox reveal this information. If they handed the property to an established development studio you'd think they'd mention that somewhere, wouldn't you?

I'll admit, my cultural elitism biases me against anything Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane is even remotely involved with. The man has the hubris to remake The Flintstones [http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/yabba-dabba-doo-seth-macfarlane-finally-gets-go-ahead-to-reboot-the-flintstones/?xrs=synd_twitter], for Dino's sake!

Still, forgetting my own personal proclivity toward wit, this entire MMO project smacks of cheap cash-in. I'm withholding official judgment until release (or, at the very least, until we get some screenshots and gameplay details), but until then my sense of superiority will be set at maximum smugness.

Source: Massively [http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/16/fox-unveils-family-guy-online-really/]

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
... What is this I don't even ... ?
How could you possibly get gameplay from Family Guy?
On second thoughts : I'd rather never find that out.

Then again, this is the same company that canceled Firefly, so they're not entirely unaccustomed to bad decisions.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yeah, glad we dont know what this will end up like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_guy_video_game

About the only logical way this can be conceived is a similar basic type game set up in an exonauts from CN fashion

The original game illustrated how this doesnt work well. especially when you play it and reallize your doing a lot of nonsensical garbage that has little or nothing to do with the world its supposed to be set in.

Dear fox... you can only milk so much of of Seth Mcfarlane, no matter how much he begs for more punishment.

Tim_Buoy

Jul 7, 2010
i would be interested in hoe it plays and i want to be the first lvl 80 asian quagmire

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
So... collect x amount of penis jokes? I don't even know how that would work.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
hahaha.. i would so try this out..

My guess is that it would get boring rather quickly, but would be a good laugh the first half an hour..

I welcome it..

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011
Whoever came up with this seriously needs to fired.
Along with the person who gave it a green light.
I mean... this cannot end up in another way than disaster, it just can't.

Feb 13, 2008

Hey Brian, remember that time when we all decided to build a Family Guy game?
I don't seem to be able to, for some reason.
Make sure it stays that way.

Caffeine Rage

Mar 11, 2011
How will this even work? Is it going to cut to footage of a completely different game every ten seconds?

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
While I hope this is a joke, I'm also curious as to how are they gonna squeeze any gameplay from that show. Perhaps I'm better off not knowing.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Family Guy aficionados may recall that this is not the first time Fox's most recent attempt to recreate the success of The Simpsons has entered the virtual world.
Am I just stupid or is that line complete jibberish?

OT, this sounds bad. I honestly don't know how they're supposed to translate Family Guy into an MMO.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
No. No no no no no no no. Just... no.

Please, let this be a joke. Family Guy is awful, and ubiquitous enough as it is; I don't think I could handle an MMO of it. Please... kill it with fire.