Duran Duran Unveils Second Life "Residence"

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008

Her name is Rio and she dances in Second Life, as of next week.

1980s pop sensation Duran Duran has unveiled plans to open a "permanent virtual residence" in the pixelated sandbox of Linden Labs' Second Life [http://secondlife.com/].

The group is best known for hits like "Rio," and "Hungry Like The Wolf" and for performing the theme for that one James Bond movie with Christopher Walken [http://www.amazon.com/View-Kill-Special-Roger-Moore/dp/B00004W9CD]. Second Life, by contrast, is best known as a haven for those who get off on the idea of anthropomorphized lady unicorns eating ears of corn that inexplicably have eyes and sound suspiciously like beloved actor James Doohan.

In an effort to explain whatever connection the two disparate elements might have, Duran Duran Universe community manager Chrissy Welinder penned the following on the group's website:

The Duran Duran Universe -- the permanent virtual residence of and by the band Duran Duran in Second Life -- will soon open its gates.

I am so very thrilled about it that I can hardly find any words. I am very happy to have had the opportunity to be the proud witness to the birth of a magic masterminds brainchild and I feel even more honoured to now share this amazingly beautiful wonderland with you.

From the top of the lipstick tower high in the Azizi sky to the underwater UFO Club in the Sanhedralite sea the Duran Duran Universe is packed full of wonderful artistic treasures, interactive features, innovative multimedia and exciting events and games. All carefully chosen by the band members as part of their motto: "designed to make people party!"

I am looking forward to welcoming you all personally in the DDU - join the adventure and meet me there!

Oh, okay, that clears it up.

Wait a second! No it doesn't! That doesn't clear up anything!

Why is Duran Duran opening a virtual club in Second Life? Is Duran Duran even still a group? Is Second Life even still a thing that people do? Is there a vast crossover demographic of Duran Duran fans who enjoy virtual sandbox realms? Is this going to lead to a rash of overly-sexualized "Hungry Like The Wolf"-themed avatars?

The answer to that last one is "almost definitely." When the virtual Duran Duran Universe opens on June 22, we'll see about the other four.

Source: Massively [http://www.duranduran.com/wordpress/2011/duran-duran-in-second-life/]

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Is Duran Duran even still a group?
Of course Duran Duran is still together, they're even on tour right now...<.<

OT: I don't know what to think of this...marketing stunt many years too late?

Malo_Tux

Dec 23, 2010
I feel as if every time someone mentions second life I have to just nod my head, what in the world is this Second Life?

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
As far as I know, Second Life is a platform for CyberSex above all else.
So I have heared... from not cybersex-related sources...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Sacman said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Is Duran Duran even still a group?
Of course Duran Duran is still together, they're even on tour right now...<.<

OT: I don't know what to think of this...marketing stunt many years too late?
Years too late for Duran Duran or Second Life?
I haven't heard anyone talk about Second Life longer than I haven't heard anyone talk about Duran Duran.
They are one of the reasons that View to a Kill is my second favorite Bond film. Walken is the other reason.

So when do They Might Be Giants open their new fangled Freindster page?

I hear Tears for Fears will be on MySpace soon too.

Who else...

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
What is this madness!? I-I.

I'm going back to My Novel, here is a picture of bugs getting my exact look:

[/url]

Good god.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, this made me go to youtube and listen to "Rio", so at least that's good.
Can't really comment on the news itself, i have no idea why they would do that.

Also, her name is Rio and she dances on the sand~~~!
Nice.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Second Life is still around? I figured it would have been nuked off the face of the earth by griefers by now.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
People who still like duran duran are exactly the sort that is also still interested in second life.

Malo_Tux said:
what in the world is this Second Life?
Imagine world of warcraft. Now, take out the war. And most of the craft. And you pay money for stuff, like outfits. That don't do anything. And when you get your perfect avatar, you meet other avatars, and then run away to islands in the digital sea to spend the rest of your lives together.

Jaegerwolf

Sep 29, 2010
A BETTER comparison would be to Little Big Planet, as the players have the ability to create just about anything they wish. For example I'm in a hockey league that's been going on since '06 that has gotten pretty impressive in terms of programming considering it was done by one guy in his spare time.

As for Duran Duran........last few non-drug damaged braincells firing off some desperate attempt at relevance?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Oh Duran Duran the band not the scientist.

Duran Duran's Exessive Machine would be a big draw in Second Life I imagine.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I would expect nothing less of someone named Duran Duran. It just sounds second lifey to me. Also I will post a youtube video for kicks.

Accountfailed

May 27, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:

Her name is Rio and she dances in Second Life, as of next week.

1980s pop sensation Duran Duran has unveiled plans to open a "permanent virtual residence" in the pixelated sandbox of Linden Labs' Second Life [http://secondlife.com/].

The group is best known for hits like "Rio," and "Hungry Like The Wolf" and for performing the theme for that one James Bond movie with Christopher Walken [http://www.amazon.com/View-Kill-Special-Roger-Moore/dp/B00004W9CD]. Second Life, by contrast, is best known as a haven for those who get off on the idea of anthropomorphized lady unicorns eating ears of corn that inexplicably have eyes and sound suspiciously like beloved actor James Doohan.

In an effort to explain whatever connection the two disparate elements might have, Duran Duran Universe community manager Chrissy Welinder penned the following on the group's website:

The Duran Duran Universe -- the permanent virtual residence of and by the band Duran Duran in Second Life -- will soon open its gates.

I am so very thrilled about it that I can hardly find any words. I am very happy to have had the opportunity to be the proud witness to the birth of a magic masterminds brainchild and I feel even more honoured to now share this amazingly beautiful wonderland with you.

From the top of the lipstick tower high in the Azizi sky to the underwater UFO Club in the Sanhedralite sea the Duran Duran Universe is packed full of wonderful artistic treasures, interactive features, innovative multimedia and exciting events and games. All carefully chosen by the band members as part of their motto: "designed to make people party!"

I am looking forward to welcoming you all personally in the DDU - join the adventure and meet me there!

Oh, okay, that clears it up.

Wait a second! No it doesn't! That doesn't clear up anything!

Why is Duran Duran opening a virtual club in Second Life? Is Duran Duran even still a group? Is Second Life even still a thing that people do? Is there a vast crossover demographic of Duran Duran fans who enjoy virtual sandbox realms? Is this going to lead to a rash of overly-sexualized "Hungry Like The Wolf"-themed avatars?

The answer to that last one is "almost definitely." When the virtual Duran Duran Universe opens on June 22, we'll see about the other four.

Source: Massively [http://www.duranduran.com/wordpress/2011/duran-duran-in-second-life/]

Well they are about 4 years too late to that party. I would however like to point out that because of your generalization of the Secondlife userbase as furries, I now respect your opinion on the matter as much as a certain journalist for The Sun that likened the building system on Secondlife to "a tool for programmer geeks, like Photoshop". I played Secondlife for a solid 2 years before I ran into any furries, maybe go play the game a bit before writing it off as a big fetish chat room huh?

theLadyBugg

May 24, 2010
Psh. Duran Duran split up for awhile, but reunited a few years ago -- and I could not have been more excited when I heard that news on the radio. When the DJ didn't immediately cut himself off to play one of their songs, I put in a mix CD and cranked up "Notorious."

Hearing that they're opening a virtual club? I .... I don't even .... what is this?

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
Holy crap, i forgot all about second life!

I loaded it once, played it for about five minutes, then deleted it never to try it again. You need chops to play that game and understand it.