Infinity Ward Founders' Lawsuit Proceeds Against Activision

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Infinity Ward Founders' Lawsuit Proceeds Against Activision

A judge probably just ruined Acitivision's day by ruling that Infinity Ward's founders have some facts to support their claims against the publisher.

The lawsuit that former Infinity Ward head honchos Jason West and Vince Zampella filed against Activision is continuing to progress, slowly but surely. A judge in the case just ruled that there are facts to support the two's claims, which means it's that much closer to receiving a jury trial.

This is the original $34 million lawsuit that was filed back in March 2010, right after West and Zampella were dismissed from Infinity Ward by Activision. Originally, the suit was only focused on dealing with charges about "breach of contracts", but in April 2011 the complaints were addended to include complaints of fraud.

These new fraud claims are based around an Activision contract that stated how, after Call of Duty 4 was completed, West and Zampella would have creative control over future Modern Warfare titles and they'd be furnished with an increased budget. According to West and Zampella, Activision had no intention of following through on these promises and always intended to fire the duo after CoD 4 was finished.

Because the judge ruled that allegations have merit means that, not only will Activision likely have to answer the charges, but that Bobby Kotick might even be called as a witness.

Zampella and West's attorney, Robert Schwartz, was publicly gloating about this decision, even going so far as to say, "This can't be good for Activision. They can't be happy about this."

Of course, Activision has its own $400 million lawsuit against the two men, that is full of allegations about how West and Zampella "hijacked" company assets at the encouragement of publisher Electronic Arts. If, however, the original lawsuit does go to trial, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Activision's suit based on how things proceed.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-06-20-west-and-zampella-lawsuit-on-course-for-jury-trial>GamesIndustry.biz

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I have no love for Activision. I hope this goes poorly for them.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
Well this is not goona turn out good for either side the way this is turning out

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
These two, Activision and infinity ward are like a dysfunctional house hold that result in a murder. Hopefully its Zampella and West. I am so sick of them.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Seanfall said:
I'm sorry, and maybe I'm an idiot but what does this have to do with Blizzard?
Activision and Vivendi merged a few years ago, creating Activision Blizzard. At least, that's as much as I understand about it.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Signa said:
b-but what about Prototype 2?

i've been wanting that game for years!

chances are it may be one of the first projects to get canned if Activision can't afford it D:

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Blizzard heres your chance leave with the Wow money and become your own publishers you don't need activision
OT: Activision courrupted blizzard I hope they lose

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
YEAH, GET SOME ACTIVISION!

I hope this goes bad for them. I have no respect for them.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Now I wonder who's right...
Seanfall said:
I'm sorry, and maybe I'm an idiot but what does this have to do with Blizzard?
I don't blame you, the title should really say 'Activision Blizzard' or 'Acti-blizzard' as some people say. Yes they fused into one! Quite some time ago too...

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Azaraxzealot said:
Signa said:
b-but what about Prototype 2?

i've been wanting that game for years!

chances are it may be one of the first projects to get canned if Activision can't afford it D:
All the more reason to hate them, because it's projects like that that should be allowed to be made to break the monotony that Activision is capitalizing on.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
enzilewulf said:
These two, Activision and infinity ward are like a dysfunctional house hold that result in a murder. Hopefully its Zampella and West. I am so sick of them.
I agree. It something new every two months.

Also, where Is you Avatar from? Can't seem to remember.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
enzilewulf said:
I agree. It something new every two months.

Also, where Is you Avatar from? Can't seem to remember.

Gundam Seed Destiny! Shin getting hit by Athrun after he fought Kira.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Ugh, just pound these two clowns into the dirt so we can stop hearing about this already Activision. Try to hurt EA as much as possible while you're at it.

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
My thought process was fairly simple on this article.

"But is Blizzard okay?"

That's just where my priorities lie, I'm afraid. God help anyone or anything that causes damage to Diablo 3's production. I don't think the Call of Duty games are bad, but I've never had much love for the army FPS's. Then there's the fact that if you held all three of them (4, MW2, BO) in front of me, I'd be pretty hard pressed to tell you the differences. I've asked my friends that are really into the games and they rarely cite many big examples either.

Also, there is just about nothing more fun than reading about big companies suing eachother because of some of the absolutely stupid crap they lob back and fourth. If you want an example, go look at the Apple vs Amazon over the "appstore" thing, that one's plenty absurdiculous.