311: How Hard Can It Be?

Andrew Ryan

Feb 21, 2011
How Hard Can It Be?

There are many ways to enter the videogame industry; so many, in fact, it can be difficult to know where to start. Here's some practical advice to help you on your way.

Read Full Article

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
A very interesting read, though the college advice is understandably more useful to those in the states!

[small]Also, inb4 'Omg it r Andrew Ryan from Bioshockz'[/small]

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
lol, ok I get it.
Three articles I have read in the last 20 minutes have been about how easy it is to get into the game industry if you show that you have the passion to make a real effort.
I'll put more work into my ongoing worlds and talk to someone at the next convention that comes to town, ok?
Just stop taunting me with these awesomely insiteful articles D:

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Is there a specific programming language I should focus on? I've been told C++ before. I'm more of a designer, but I quite like the idea of being able to put my ideas down and actually build a game on my own :)

ForsakenUK

Feb 11, 2010
Get GameMaker like he mentions in the article (http://www.yoyogames.com/)

Its easy to use and implements GUI-based scripting so its easy to learn

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
[sub]That's what she said....[/sub]
And Game Maker is great, it really helps you learn the logic behind programming.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
The talks about showing your passions and portfolio's are fine. But we get to networking AGAIN. I think networking works the other way around, instead of firing a lot of arrows, hoping to hit, you will find just the right people you need.

And I hate Game Maker. Even scripting can frustrate me with its limits and the tutorials that are given aren't very clear. It just skips a lot of stuff! The latest version of Game Maker doesn't even have files anymore! CHAOS!

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
TheBobmus said:
A very interesting read, though the college advice is understandably more useful to those in the states!

[small]Also, inb4 'Omg it r Andrew Ryan from Bioshockz'[/small]
U.S stuff? Well thank you for saving me the time of reading the article.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
sigh... if only it were so easy....

my dream project (to work on Crackdown) will never happen :(

Ruptuk

Nov 6, 2010
I went to a uni games course and out of the 60 that graduated 5 of us made it.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Speakercone said:
Is there a specific programming language I should focus on? I've been told C++ before. I'm more of a designer, but I quite like the idea of being able to put my ideas down and actually build a game on my own :)
I would suggest that for demos of entirely new stuff, write in a language which would be useful to be able to finalize the product in.

If you're going to try to make something for Java, write it in Java. It doesn't make sense to try to write something in C++ if you're making a Flash game.

brant0

Jan 25, 2010
"Plus, so far, there's less B.S. than you find in Hollywood."

And B.S. is what, exactly? I just got curious. Pardon me if I am ignorant with anything.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It can be incredibly hard, at least in my case. Since high school I wanted to do 3D animation and/or it's related jobs, took classes, which aren't always necissary but they gave me great insight into story creation, writing, traditional animation and the arts, and film making.

I graduated with a BA of fine arts and an above average demo reel. Though while I've gotten great experience in AAA games and major films while interning for 2 and a half years, I found that studios were more than willing to let me work for free, but when I ran out of savings and needed a PAYING position, they said they had nothing. I passed my reel around to places big and small in games, tv and film for over a year while working a fucking retail tech job until I was diagnosed with cancer.

Now that I'm recovering, it's been about 3 years years, my reel isn't up to date, I need to learn a bunch of new techniques and software that became popular since I had to stop for a while and need to make a whole new current reel with new animation and models, which could take a whole year.

In my case, just a big stumble can leave you behind while current fresh younger artists just starting out have the advantage and I don't know if I'll ever get where I want to be. You need to be quick and start early. Now I'm bummed :(

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
TheBobmus said:
I was thinking the same. In Australia you MUST go to University for anything gaming creating-wise, and even then the options of Universities is scarcely low. I think overall there's only 2 Colleges in Basic design, and 2 Unis that focus on serious stuff, 1/2 of that in in the heart of Sydney where living is $600 p/w ALONE on rent. :|

Especially if someone like me prefers to focus on the art side as opposed to programming, then there's 1 option, and its Sydney.