Putting Jellyfish Proteins in Human Cells Makes Lasers

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Putting Jellyfish Proteins in Human Cells Makes Lasers

Two Harvard grads put phosphorescent proteins in human cells and focused the light into a laser strong enough for the naked eye to view.

In the past, physicists have made lasers using cold lifeless metal and poisonous chemicals. Two Harvard researchers have turned that presumption on its heel by using a completely biological source of light, and hosting that light source within a human cell. The process still calls for the use of two very tiny mirrors to focus the light, but Malte C. Gather and Seok Hyun Yun from Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston see the potential for some interesting applications of the new technology.

"Since their invention some 50 years ago, lasers have made a tremendous impact on modern science and technology. Nevertheless, lasing has so far relied on artificial or engineered optical gain materials," Yun and Gatehr wrote in their paper.

"This is the first time that we have used biological materials to build a laser and generate light from something that is living."

The pair induced a human kidney cell to produce enhanced green fluorescent protein used by jellyfish to illuminate in the water. The kidney cell, positioned between two mirrors 20 millimeters across, was then hit with a cool blue light. The mirrors focused the light produced by the cell, resulting in a clear green laser bright enough to see without assistance.

The best part? The human cell wasn't harmed at all during the process.

The applications for such a technique are mostly medical. "By analysing the pattern [of light emitted], you can get some idea of what is happening inside the cell," Yun said. In addition, if the team could get the lasers powerful enough, doctors might be able to use a patient's own cells to create lasers for operating within the human body.

That sounds all well and good, but call me when a human cell can make a laser that vaporize a human target from space ... or a huge Jiffy Pop [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3uMeF4Wfy4].

Source: Nature.com [http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nphoton.2011.99.html]

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
So....Will I be able to shoot lasers out of my kidney in the near future?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Interesting... very interesting...

In what ways will this make touching myself easier?

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Implant some of those into the tip of my index finger and you'll have 5 minutes until Namek explodes...

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Baby Eater said:
Kidneys, my friend kidneys. Science will soon give us not one but two kidney lasers.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Ok, this is technically a laser, but there obviously isn't polarization or focusing involved. And fluorescence is far more complex than the simple population inversion of conventional lasers.

The applications for such a technique are mostly medical. "By analyzing the pattern [of light emitted], you can get some idea of what is happening inside the cell," Yun said. In addition, if the team could get the lasers powerful enough, doctors might be able to use a patient's own cells to create lasers for operating within the human body.
This sounds a lot like photobleaching, during which flourophores in a specific portion are destroyed and allowed to diffuse. By monitoring the fluorescence signal over given time intervals, the nature of diffusion can be established. This requires the presence of lourophores, of course.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Phase 1 of Lazer abilities for Human Kind.
Phase 2: Unlimited Power

OT: You know that it's one step closer to do all of that. If not, however, it's still pretty cool.

Thamous

Sep 23, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
Baby Eater said:
Kidneys, my friend kidneys. Science will soon give us not one but two kidney lasers.
I'll see your kidney laser and raise you a pancreas beam.

Apr 28, 2008
Woodsey said:
Interesting... very interesting...

In what ways will this make touching myself easier?
Probably will stay the same, but now you can shoot lasers from your crotch! Should probably watch out when having sex though.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The future is awesome.

When I hold a 32gb micro SD card in my hand and think that this tiny piece of plastic and metal the size of my fingernail can hold millions of pages of text or about 50 dvd quality movies it sends chills down my spine.

My kids will never ask the question "what is ....." they will always have a computer within reach and nearly all of the information in the world at their fingertips. They will never get lost because they will carry a device in their pocket that will instantly show their location and a map of the surrounding area. They will have instant communication with everyone they know no matter where on the planet that person is.

Its like growing up in a magical fantasy world.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
Facinating as this is, I sincerely doubt that will have any practical applications in the near (25yr) future.

If anyone knows: Wouldn't it be easier to modify bacteria instead of animal cells to produce light? Or is it not possible to add animal DNA to a bacterial plasmid?

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Could I get these implanted into my loyal side-kick cat's eyes? All I need to do now is teach him how to speak...

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Baby Eater said:
Not possible for now, the cell only acted as the gain-medium for the laser, so the mirrors and lenses needed to turn it into a proper laser were still needed.
It's just that the cell could effectively replace the usual gas mix (helium/neon for instance) or solid (ruby) as the medium that's used to generate the photons for the laser.

They're mainly hoping to use this for cellular imaging, as this gives them the option to turn part of the tissue of the target into a gain medium for a scanning laser.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Cool so people will shoot lasers somewhere from their body (I like to think it would be from their hands) in the future.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Baby Eater said:
With some cunning use of fibre-optic cables you could even fire a laser from your gentleman's/lady's area! Consider the tone lowered.