Walmart Shoppers, Meet The Stream

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Walmart Shoppers, Meet The Stream

The world's largest retail chain has joined forces with Gaikai to offer streaming PC titles through Walmart.com.

Say you're at home. You're bored. You need something new to play. You'd like to pick up the latest shooter, but that would involve finding pants, driving to the store, and missing the last ten minutes of Mansquito [http://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Man-Corin-Nemec/dp/B0007UDC94].

What a dilemma!

Luckily, Walmart has the answer. The retail giant has inked a deal with Gaikai to bring the latter's "open cloud gaming platform" to the website of the former. Translation: Gamers, even those with low-end PCs, will be able to stream playable titles directly from the retailer's site.

VentureBeat broadly explains:

With streamed games, the actual game runs in Gaikai's servers in the internet cloud, or web-connected data centers. Changes to the game are executed on the servers and then sent over broadband connections to a user's computer. That way, it isn't necessary to do any computing on the user's machine, except displaying the images on the screen. The heavy-duty processing is done by the servers. That allows users to play games on web sites and use hardware that wouldn't ordinarily be able to run game as a client-based title.

The idea, it seems, is to compete directly with OnLive [http://www.onlive.com/#4], the popular streaming games service whose name has become synonymous with the cloud gaming concept since its debut in June of 2010.

Key to the new Gaikai deal, is the company's ability to stream game demos directly to customers. A survey of 20,000 gamers showed that being able to try a game before purchasing it was the most crucial impetus in securing that sale, claims Gaikai CEO (and Earthworm Jim creator) Dave Perry.

Walmart realized that gamers don't have the patience to download 1GB-plus demos just to test a game, so by uniting with Gaikai, the company hopes to offer prospective customers a chance to test drive new games whenever the impulse strikes.

If your interest is suddenly piqued, you can experience the fruits of corporate symmetry at Walmart.com's new Game Center site [http://see.walmart.com/gamecenter/].

Despite my personal bias toward the Walmart brand -- Walmart : native Portlanders :: Dracula : Grant Danasty -- this is just the sort of bold move the retailer needs to further assert its dominance over the global games industry. The company is already ubiquitous enough to demand (and, largely, receive) content changes in games, and snapping up a share of the nascent cloud gaming market can only make it more powerful.

Source: VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2011/06/21/gaikai-scores-a-whopper-of-a-game-distribution-deal-with-walmart-com-exclusive/]

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Thank you Wal-mart. Now I will be able to test out new games and then buy them from somewhere else.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Walfart is not the answer. It's a massive bloated problem waiting for a solution.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
Say you're at home. You're bored. You need something new to play. You'd like to pick up the latest shooter, but that would involve finding pants, driving to the store, and missing the last ten minutes of Mansquito [http://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Man-Corin-Nemec/dp/B0007UDC94].
That's not Mosquito Man! This is mosquito man!:

Also, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite news contributors here, "Nex". Keep up the good work.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
If your interest is suddenly piqued, you can experience the fruits of corporate symmetry at Walmart.com's new Game Center site [http://see.walmart.com/gamecenter/].
I was browsing through this link, I can't find any demos on it through Gaikai (or any, for that matter) :( is the service not available yet?

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Ghengis John said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
That's not Mosquito Man! This is mosquito man!:

Also, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite news contributors here, "Nex". Keep up the good work.
Agreed. It isn't Mosquito Man. It's MANsquito Man, the harrowing tale of man sized mosquitos who suck (both literally, and in regards to the SciFi Channel's cheap production values). Before it totally sold out, it was known as Mansquito.

Also, thank you. On a related note, you are quickly become one of my favorite people who has the decency to use my absurd nom de Internet.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
bleachigo10 said:
Thank you Wal-mart. Now I will be able to test out new games and then buy them from somewhere else.
My thoughts exactly. Demos are fine, but buying games to play from the cloud? No way. There are reasons I don't buy EA and Ubisoft PC games anymore, and one of them is that "if you disconnected from the internet you can't play single player" bullshit. The same thing happens with the cloud, so fuck paying for inferior service when I can buy from Steam.

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
Man, I dig that I'm playing games that I couldn't normally run without a hiccup. I honestly think this might put some pep back into PC gaming.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
I've hated Gaikai's ad campaign so I'm going to avoid this like the plague.

Support them and you support their ads, so yeah no thanks.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
I think I'm gonna have to say something nobody else is thinking.

This is unusual news.

There, I said. Someone had to.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The company is already ubiquitous enough to demand (and, largely, receive) content changes in games, and snapping up a share of the nascent cloud gaming market can only make it more powerful.
Which is why we must drive a stake through its cold, dark heart while we still have the chance!

Ahem...

Well, I'm up to my ears in perfectly good unplayed games, and I just got 3 more from GOG's Interplay sale, so even if I didn't largely feel that Wal-Mart was a thing born from the fifth circle of Hell, I wouldn't be interested.

Don't let me stop you, though! It's your soul... (*cough*)

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
If you've ever been to the Walmart near my home, you'd know that pants seem to be strictly optional.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
This "Walmart" thing is set to open a few stores down here later in the year. Should Australians be concerned by this? Is it really as bad as peopleofwalmart and south park make it out to be?