Nintendo's New Console Gets Valve's Attention

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo's New Console Gets Valve's Attention

Portal 3 on a Nintendo console? It could very well happen, thanks to the Wii U.

It's a sad fact that Nintendo consoles suffer from a significant shortage of Valve games, and while the PS3 and Xbox 360 enjoy all the fruits of Valve's labours - well, most of them anyway - Nintendo gamers are left out in the cold. All that could change with the Wii U however, as Valve boss Gabe Newell indicated that the console's extra power means that it may feature in the developer's future plans.

"[The Wii U] sort of fits better into the scalability in terms of graphics performance and CPU performance, so I think it'll be a lot easier for us to fit it into our scalability model," he said, adding that Valve had always been Nintendo fans. With Nintendo putting out an HD capable console, he continued, it was a lot easier to see it in the same framework as the likes of Sony and Microsoft. Newell isn't the first to say that the Wii U's improved capabilities would make it easier to get third party games on a Nintendo platform: Nintendo itself has admitted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110804-E3-Nintendo-Boss-Admits-Third-Party-Wii-U-Footage-Came-from-Other-Platforms] that the Wii's comparative lack of power resulted in a lack of third party titles.

It would be interesting to see what Valve can do with a controller with large touch screen in the middle; I can't help but think it would make for some pretty interesting Portal levels. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine that Valve would have much luck getting Nintendo to agree to put Steamworks on the Wii U, that seems like more control than Nintendo is willing to give away.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/22/valve-interested-in-wii-u-it-fits-better-into-our-scalability/]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
it would be very interesting to see what valve would do with nintendo's odd controllers, they seem to like to toy with tech as much as nintendo does

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
This oughta be interesting to see. I was mildly interested in the WiiU before, but this could be really, really cool.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Now, if Nintendo releases quality games that coincide with the release of their systems... we'll be good to go. Unfortunately, given the past two..three consoles with only a handful of good games to choose from, I will be hesistant in my decision to purchase.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Well, it is nice that Nintendo console owners will also get to play Valve games, but I do hope the mention of Portal 3 is just conjecture. I do like my Portal but where we're at now seems as good a place as any to finish it.

*cue a trailer where Chell is awakened from cryostasis to GLaDOS's calls for help, before using the portal gun to escape the crumbling structure and then pose dramatically while a Combine superstructure charges towards them*

Quite.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Well, once again, it seems there will be MUCH better third party support... all we need is a nice little confirmation. Makes me wonder how Valve could use the controller to their advantage. Considering they made exclusive levels for that other controller (the one that cost $140), it's not that far-fetched for WiiU exclusive levels.

Now then, I wonder what will be stronger: The Escapist community's reflexive hate of Nintendo or their reflexive worship of Valve.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
It doesn't seem like Valve to add anything particularly innovative to the Wii U control that they would have to leave out of their own Steam versions. So don't hold your breath there. I do hope they at least plan to support the platform to the same degree as they do the other consoles. And I hope that Nintendo's infrastructure will allow both WiiU/PC and WiiU/PS3 cross-platform functionality via Steamworks.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
TheSniperFan said:
Worgen said:
it would be very interesting to see what valve would do with nintendo's odd controllers, they seem to like to toy with tech as much as nintendo does
Yeah, but on the other hand Valve is one of the few developers that I have total confidence in.
Anyway, IMO the WiiU is crap so I wont get it.
your last statement is somewhat ironic considering your avatar

pilf

Apr 23, 2008
This is definitely the kind of stuff Nintendo needs to be said about the Wii U right now. I fhigh profile devlopers such as Vlave are showing interest in the console other third party companies are bound to be more inclined to output products for Nintendo.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I misread the title as "Nintendo's New Console Gets Valve's Aliteration" and thought Valve would release a game called 'Valve's Very Voracious Venture Vor Vii Vu' for it. (It'd star the medic.)

Also Portal 2 for the 360 doesn't have steamworks, does it? It's not a dealbreaker.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
I don't know if Nintendo would allow it, but they might not be as against it as you'd think. Yes, Nintendo of old has always wanted the lion's share of control, but they tried that with Wii's online network. As much love as I have for the Virtual Console, you don't have to go far to say they got their asses kicked. It was this kicking of ass that made them decide to expand a little and play nice with others.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I'm less excited about the WiiU as a game console than I am about someone hacking the touchpad controller into a wicked remote control for an HTPC.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Who cares what Gabe says anymore? Its what he does that matters.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
Arsen said:
Now, if Nintendo releases quality games that coincide with the release of their systems... we'll be good to go. Unfortunately, given the past two..three consoles with only a handful of good games to choose from, I will be hesistant in my decision to purchase.
I'm sincerely hoping that you're including their portable consoles, and the minor upgrades to them.

If you're going by home systems only, you just said that the Gamecube and Nintendo 64 did not have more than a handful of good games. If you're including the portable consoles and the minor upgraded versions of them, that'd be dissing the DS's and the Wii. Which...I guess can be stomached.

I'll agree that the Wii was disappointing, as were the launch titles on the 3DS. But the DS's before it had quite a nice list of games. And if you're just dissin' the home systems, then that'd be flat out shocking D: